Smartcarry?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your first post urktypt0 please introduce yourself on the new member subforum, welcome to DefensiveCarry....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Smartcarry?

Your first post urktypt0 please introduce yourself on the new member subforum, welcome to DefensiveCarry.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Haha oops, I'll do that. Thanks Yoda

Years ago, I found a way to carry a my first Glock in dress clothes. Now keep in mind, at this time there were no belly band bolsters or tuckables.

I would wrap an ace bandage around my chest, and tuck a soft clip style holster underneath the wrap under my left arm. I found it more comfortable with a t shirt. I would then put my Glock in the holster, right below my left arm pit.
    Then I would put my shirt on, tuck it in, and leave a button unbuttoned. This allowed quick access. It hid very well.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I carry a 1911 and an extra mag in mine and love it for deep concealment. The only issue to me is when seated and in the car.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Years ago, I found a way to carry a my first Glock in dress clothes. Now keep in mind, at this time there were no belly band bolsters or tuckables.

I would wrap an ace bandage around my chest, and tuck a soft clip style holster underneath the wrap under my left arm. I found it more comfortable with a t shirt. I would then put my Glock in the holster, right below my left arm pit.
    Then I would put my shirt on, tuck it in, and leave a button unbuttoned. This allowed quick access. It hid very well.
    With some lighter dress shirts, folks might wonder if you were wearing a bra.

OP - I have used the Smartcarry extensively, with a Glock 19 and a 26. With a round in the chamber.

The fabric on the Smartcarry makes it impossible to pull the trigger from the front. If you want, you can simply cut a piece of plastic from a milk jug and stick it inside the holster pocket to give yet more protection to the trigger.

I wear it (when I do) to the left of center (I am right-handed) with the bottom of the grip centered on the zipper line. The barrel thus has more room down the left leg.

The draw is surprisingly fast, and you can tuck your shirt in (behind the Smartcarry) and draw without needing to first pull out your shirt tail, or sweep away a cover garment. Less chance of fouling your draw this way, too.

You can even draw with your off hand - just turn your palm out.

For carrying a large firearm with discretion, there is simply no equal to the Smartcarry.

And by the way, the gun does not point at your "junk." It lays in front of it. Protects you from getting kicked in the crotch, by the way. Ask me how I know...

I pocket carry most days (G26 + PM9, or PM9 + LCP), because I find it even more comfortable than the Smartcarry, but I still use it from time to time.

I hope that helps clear up some of the misconceptions about this great deep concealment option.
    calee likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    I never could get used to IWB carry for an extended period. I mostly pocket carry a SW 642. I have it in a thin leather holster made just for pocket carry...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

--Jason--

I've seen a pic ('nother site) of a fellow that used a bellyband with a 'mic' or 'Zac' holster. In order to give the string/nylon chord an anchor point for pulling the holster loose, the poster had sewn a large button onto the bellyband and wrapped the chord around that. I'll see if I can't scavenge a pic from that site.

dan

ok, didn't find that pic, but found a pic of a bellyband with the 'Zach' inside the pocked, secured thru-and-thru with a chicago screw and leather washers.
    Not sure of the okydokyness of linking to another site, so pm me if you want me to send you a link to the thread.

dan

I carry a Glock 26 with one in the pipe in a Smartcarry everyday. I work n cars on my back all day. Smartcarry is the only way that works for me. No problems with the SC.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have a lot of options I didn't even realize were out there!

I'll reply, since I actually have and use a Smartcarry.

For one, it does not point at 'your junk' if you wear it the right way, which is quite low. When I wear mine it points down my leg, not at it. Also, the only way the trigger is going to get pulled is if you physically want it to get pulled. People carry Glocks and 1911's in these holsters, the one and only incident I've ever read about was a guy with a 'knock-off' version that was much thinner material.

I think they are excellent for deep concealment, I love mine and wear it with confidence when the need arises. Best part is that I can carry my TCP, 642, Kahr MK9, Sprinfield XDM Compact or Walther P22 in it perfectly.
    Last edited by Thunder71; April 18th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    They don't work for me because even now, I still do a military-tuck on my shirts.
    That's hilarious. I spent eight years in the Air Force, and to this day I straighten my gig line, do the military tuck on the rare occasions I tuck my shirt, and fold hospital corners when I make the bed.

WHEC724 and 10thmtn like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I have to say if you haven't tried something then why open your mouth and insert foot. There is no way the trigger is going to get pulled in a smart carry holster and NO the weapon is not pointed at your junk in fact the muzzle is more then likely pointed between your feet when standing. Where is the muzzle pointed when standing with a hip holster, if my pistol was to go off with my MTAC or OWB leather the bullet at the vary least would travel down the outside of my leg and more then likely put a hole in the leg. While setting the muzzle for me points at a downward angle but some wearers have stated that when setting they are a little uncomfortable as the muzzle of there pistol is pointed horizontal which means it could be pointing at someone across a table or desk. The Smart carry can be a little hot positioned over your junk all day but for truly deep concealment there has to be some give and take.

As for getting hit in the junk well I have to tell ya that it hurts to get hit in the junk with or without a pistol there but I pity the person that trys to punch me in the junk when I have the smart carry on as they will probably bust there hand up. Not sure why anyone would hit me there though? If little one are present you do have to watch when they run up to great you and give you a hug as they can face plant into the pistol.
    Thunder71 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I have to say if you haven't tried something then why open your mouth and insert foot. ...
    That is simply flawed logic; I don't have to smoke meth, to know that I don't want to do it, and I believe that I am absolutely correct in that it is generally a bad idea to do so.
    kmf0925 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Sounds to me like you were making a home-made contraption like what you can buy at abetterholster.com. I just ordered one and understand from a couple friends that it is an excellent deep-carry method. The one problem that I have been told is how to access the gun quickly if needed and a friend of mine simply wears a shirt with the top 3 buttons open making it quickly accessible. Good innovative-ness on your part! Sounds like somebody took your idea a step further to keep us lazy people from having to put in so much effort! One note: I have not received my shirt yet but will follow-up on my opinion when I have had a chance to wear it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links