Smartcarry? - Page 3

Smartcarry?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kmf0925 Does anyone currently use the Smartcarry? The only thing that worries me is carrying with one in the pipe with this ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Smartcarry?

Quote Originally Posted by kmf0925 View Post
    Does anyone currently use the Smartcarry? The only thing that worries me is carrying with one in the pipe with this holster. It seems soft enough where the trigger could be pulled accidentally. Is that just parinoia?

Thanks for the help!
    I saw Tim at USCCA going over the smartcarry and thought it was ridiculous which is what he thought it was when he got it but then said it is so comfortable that it became one of his main holsters used (and he carries a Glock, I think G33). So, based on me being 5'8" and often wearing it into areas requiring deep cover and often wearing nothing more than thin shorts and a t-shirt, he convinced me to buy one. It actually came today and I put it on with a pair of regular light shorts (I carry a LC9) and, following Tim's advice to wear it low, wore it the rest of the afternoon just to try it. When I returned home, I forgot it was there and went to my office and did an hour of work. As I was finishing, I realized I still had it on! I'm not sure how a larger gun would fit but with my shorts (and a pair of dress shorts and pants I tried on), you can not tell it is there as far as printing and it was very comfortable. One of the persons commented that you cannot push through the fabric to pull the trigger and I would definitely agree (in my limited experience). That is one of the extra perks of the LC9 (besides the many other extra perks of an LC9) is the safety.
    My only caution to anybody carrying one in the pipe without a safety would to be very careful returning a gun or putting it into the holster in the first place to ensure the trigger doesn't snag on anything (which is what you would always anyway when returning your gun to a holster-especially ones without a safety!)
    calee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    So, based on me being 5'8" and often wearing it into areas requiring deep cover and often wearing nothing more than thin shorts and a t-shirt, he convinced me to buy one. It actually came today and I put it on with a pair of regular light shorts (I carry a LC9) and, following Tim's advice to wear it low, wore it the rest of the afternoon just to try it. When I returned home, I forgot it was there and went to my office and did an hour of work. As I was finishing, I realized I still had it on! I'm not sure how a larger gun would fit but with my shorts (and a pair of dress shorts and pants I tried on), you can not tell it is there as far as printing and it was very comfortable.
    Just to give a short-term follow-up, I have now used it for 4 days and the smartcarry is outstanding as a "deep-carry" holster. I would highly recommend it for us short guys and women who have smaller frames and have difficulty figuring out how to conceal a pistol. My only concern is quickly acquiring it but that is why it is "deep-carry". Talk about a simple set-up! I also didn't think I would be using the extra area that holds a magazine as I always carry two, but I am as it does allow me to not have to carry two magazines in my pocket (making my shorts even more lighter). Thanks Tim and Smartcarry for great advice and a great product!

I were dress pants every day at work..in a BANK of all places. I also wear a KingTuk most of the time. I wear a tee shirt tucked over a 3in 1911 then a polo loose over top of that. I wear it high I think it prints less, and most def less bulge in the pants. I also have a (not sure of the brand) holster I picked up at a gun show that I will appendix carry with the same 1911, with that setup the piece disappears, not nearly as comfortable though.

I have used smartcarry with a glock 26 with a dale fricke zach holster in place. Its invisible.

I just use the smartcarry band as a "belt" for the zach which is very much like the mic holster or the vanguard holster.

In the smartcarry even without the zach, the glock won't accidently get fired- material is too thick. But for me, with the zach there is no chance you could mess up holstering. Also sometimes depending on clothing etc the draw from the smartcarry can be fouled by something- a shirt whatever. It works fine when practicing but after an 8 hour day clothes are just more random and the draw can suffer - having the zach on there I can be sure I clear my clothes before the trigger is exposed.

Either way (with or without zach) it seems everyone who posts and has used the smartcarry as instructed will tell you its really neither pointed at your unmentionables nor likely to be fired while secure in the holster. Personally I don't like it much with boxers and usually pocket carry my primary strong side anyway so I usually shift it more towards 10-11 oclock for better symmetry and it seems to ride better with boxers that way for me at least. Sort of a crossdraw appendix I guess, and more reachable with the weak hand (but the smartcarry is really a 2 hand draw anyway so if I lose my dominant hand its a real real slow draw- much safer in this case trying a one hand with the Zach as well though).

Its extra pocket, for guys, is also a great place to keep your permit or mini wallet (license, etc) so you won't have anything critical in your "regular" wallet in the event you have to hand it over or toss it to a thief, get pickpocketed, etc.

Kids will face plant there with a running hug but even then the deep cover works- people think they "understand" why you flinch or overreact to a kid's skull in the groinage area. On the other hand its more amusing to those in the know, and a potential attention draw to those who aren't, when you see someone CCing in say the 3-4 o'clock position startle/overreact to their kid going for a hug there.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

Thanks for all the input. I put my order in for a Smartcarry last night. They have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee.. so I figured if I don't like it I have nother to lose! Except the $8 shipping charge

Quote Originally Posted by kmf0925 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I put my order in for a Smartcarry last night. They have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee.. so I figured if I don't like it I have nother to lose! Except the $8 shipping charge
    Well worth the money. I use mine EVERY single day. I work with my two brother and change clothes in front of them and they still have no idea. I leave on my shirt while changing my pants and then change my shirt, they have no clue.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Does the smartcarry work well when ur overweight?

I have one, and it works well enough but I hardly use it. That's ok with me because it was priced reasonably IMO, it can sit in a drawer until a moment when I may need it.

Being just 'a dude' I find systems and complicated methods of carry a waste of time. If I cannot just throw it in my pocket or simply throw a holster on my belt then I am waisting time. I carry so I can live more comfortably. I don't live to carry.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    Depends on how overweight and how baggy your pants are... Either way, most of the time it will just be an odd bulge and very few people will admit that they were looking at your junk. Only an LEO would admit it, because it's his or her job, but if you are carrying legally then who cares.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    It probably works better. I am 5'8" and approx. 275 pounds (slightly overweight!) and it has covered very well including light shorts. The only time it may actually show is in very tight light shorts or with a larger gun. But with the LC9, it fits great and is very comfortable.
    Another person mentioned that only a LEO would notice and I would disagree and still find that unacceptable. The purpose of a concealed hoslter is that you do not notice it and there are a lot of bad guys out there as skilled or more skilled or more observant than LEO's so relying on only LEO's noticing is foolish and dangerous.
    The only draw-back I am finding is a quick draw in seated position but only having mine for a short while, I am still working on that skill.
    I will say though that, being overweight, some of the carry-options are much more difficult (or impossible) without wearing much heavier clothing which then tends to be uncomfortable (getting hot), and the smartcarry solves all of that and is very affordable ($59).
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    It probably works better. I am 5'8" and approx. 275 pounds (slightly overweight!) and it has covered very well including light shorts. The only time it may actually show is in very tight light shorts or with a larger gun. But with the LC9, it fits great and is very comfortable.
    Another person mentioned that only a LEO would notice and I would disagree and still find that unacceptable. The purpose of a concealed hoslter is that you do not notice it and there are a lot of bad guys out there as skilled or more skilled or more observant than LEO's so relying on only LEO's noticing is foolish and dangerous.
    The only draw-back I am finding is a quick draw in seated position but only having mine for a short while, I am still working on that skill.
    I will say though that, being overweight, some of the carry-options are much more difficult (or impossible) without wearing much heavier clothing which then tends to be uncomfortable (getting hot), and the smartcarry solves all of that and is very affordable ($59).
    Hope this helps!
    About the same size so I appreciate the input. Is it not uncomfortable when sitting down? That's been my biggest worry. I plan on trying with a TCP, 642, Bersa 380, and the one that I'm worried about the most, my XD SC40. I can't see the first 2 being an issue.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had a Smart Carry for years. I alternate between a Kel-Tec P3AT, a S&W 342 and a Glock-26. I have also carried a Ruger LCR and a Glock 30SF in mine. When I can't dress for pocket carry, it's my go to method. The bigger your belly, the better it conceals. My only concern is keeping my belt loose enough to get my hand in there to draw. I keep thinking suspenders. I gave one to a friend of mine when he got his CCW and A Kel-Tec pistol. He loves it so much, I think he sleeps with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I've had a Smart Carry for years. I alternate between a Kel-Tec P3AT, a S&W 342 and a Glock-26. I have also carried a Ruger LCR and a Glock 30SF in mine. When I can't dress for pocket carry, it's my go to method. The bigger your belly, the better it conceals. My only concern is keeping my belt loose enough to get my hand in there to draw. I keep thinking suspenders. I gave one to a friend of mine when he got his CCW and A Kel-Tec pistol. He loves it so much, I think he sleeps with it on.
    I have the same concern, the more I tighten my belt, the more difficult it is to reach my gun. The nice thing is the smart carry supports the gun without the belt, so you can wear it looser (I am used to tightening my belt as usually it is supporting the weight of the gun and mags). Just don't wear shorts that are too tight and don't wear a gun that is too big (if you are concerned about comfort or printing). And, when sitting, it is one of the most comfortable holster set-ups I have tried for deep-carry. If it becomes uncomfortable, you just need to shift it a little until you find your comfortable spot.
    Tim Schmidt of USCCA highly recommended it and says it is one of his most used holsters and that, along with the excellent deep-carry concealment, is why I bought mine. I have only had it for approx. a week but I have used it most of the time and it is very comfortable and I have worn it into places that necessitates deep-carry (and I also don't have my pants or shorts trying to fall down from the extra weight!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links