What Difference Does Gun Belt Make for Holsters and Heavy Gun

This is a discussion on What Difference Does Gun Belt Make for Holsters and Heavy Gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to switch over to my XD Subcompact 40 for carry. I've been carrying my 642 or TCP. I tried it out yesterday with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What Difference Does Gun Belt Make for Holsters and Heavy Gun

I'm trying to switch over to my XD Subcompact 40 for carry. I've been carrying my 642 or TCP. I tried it out yesterday with my Minotaur holster. To me it seems really heavy on my belt and I can't imagine wearing all day. I really like the gun and don't want to trade for one of the light thin 9mm right now because it is a quality gun, I would lose too much on a trade, and haven't found a good mini 9 that I like. My question is..how much difference will a heavy duty gun belt or just heavy duty belt will make. I also don't want to waste the money on one if it doesn't make a night and day difference on the feel of carrying a heavier gun. I've been carrying my 642 or TCP but after going to Dallas last weekend, I decided that there are times that I need the XD.

VIP Member
    A gunbelt is critical. My Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch belt readily supports two Glocks carried iwb.
    Cattus Vir and nerdyvirgin like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    The small, lighter firearms are OK on a regular belt, but a sturdy gun belt is a must for heavier guns. In conjunction with a decent holster, a good belt will allow the weight to be distributed more evenly over a wider expanse of belt. This will lessen the perceived weight and make for a much more comfortable carry.
    scgunlover1 and 4my sons like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I agree with the previous posters. A rugged gun belt is a must for anything over 24 ounces. Also, keep this in mind. There's a mental aspect to it as well. Any time you chance something (like switching to a heavier gun) your going to notice it more for a few days. After that you start to get used to it. The same thing happens to me when I wear a watch. I normally don't wear one but on the occasions that I do, I can feel the thing on my wrist all the time and think about it non stop. If I wear it for a few days I forget it's there.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

One thing I do besides use a wilderness instructor belt is I use Perry Suspenders under my cover shirt,they support the weight of a Colt SS 1911 combat commander and 2 spare mags,I carry from the time I get up til I go to bed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Beltman Belts are quick to ship, priced well, and are well made. I would happily buy another if I needed it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    My question is..how much difference will a heavy duty gun belt or just heavy duty belt will make
    I short, it's like switching from the grocery brand trash bags with drawstrings made of tissue paper to Glad brand trash bags with drawstrings that would probably support the weight of a human being.

Good luck
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

A GOOD belt is critical. In my opinion, a good belt is even more important than a good holster, although you really should have both! I carry a full size 1911 and a spare mag. After awhile, you get used to the weight. A good belt and holster keep everything in place and secure, and after a while you don't even notice it that much. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    I read somewhere (can't remember where) that when carrying, it's 90% belt and 10% holster that carry the load.

I carry an HK P7 in an OWB TT high ride holster with a Beltman horsehide belt and believe it to be true.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    You'd think I was a gun nut if you saw me at my range (that's okay - I am);

The handgun portion of the range is about 100 Yds from the rifle portion, and there's no tables out there, so I'll often holster 3 or 4 handguns. With a good belt, they ride quite comfortably.

I carried on some belt I got at Wal-Mart for $15 until I got my 5.11 instructors belt. It made a world of difference with my G19. Once I get working over summer, I'll get a better leather one because a tan nylon belt doesn't go too well with suits.

I may be in the minority here, or maybe I just lucked up with my Tractor Supply Company belt, but for IWB carry, I find very little difference between the above mentioned belt and my Aker B21 belt. The aker belt can support the weight of my 1911 by itself (see pic) and when I am wearing it, I don't really think it is all the much better.
    Granted it doesn't sag quite as much, but it does still sag some and isn't as comfortable as my other belt (which has some give).

For OWB it is very much better because it doesn't allow the gun to fall over away from your body, especially for a butt heavy gun like the 1911.

I hope that helps.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll be looking for a belt.
    Last edited by khukuri; April 19th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Jerry Bissell makes a great custom belt that not only functions but looks good. His quality is to notch! His e-mail is jbissell@triad.rr.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I went to fleet farm and picked up a Dickies belt for about $22. You don't specifically need a "gun belt". The one I got is very thick and can support the weight of my FS M&P 9 with 2 extra mags and a mini mag-light with no problem whatsoever, so if you can find a good normal belt it will save you some money, just make sure it's thick, nothing from Walmart would work the best.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links