IWB Holster Post Hip Surgery

This is a discussion on IWB Holster Post Hip Surgery within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has had any experience trying to carry IWB strong side after surgery. Both hips have been done and it is ...

Thread: IWB Holster Post Hip Surgery

IWB Holster Post Hip Surgery

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience trying to carry IWB strong side after surgery. Both hips have been done and it is very uncomfortable to the point where its painfull to carry anything with a 3"-5" barrel as it presses right on the joint. Dont want to end up with a drawer full of holsters I cant use. Anyone reccomend one with enough cante to prevent this?
    Regards,
    TC

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have never had hip surgery but may I suggest a shorter gun or possibly switching to an OWB until healed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

How long has it been since your strong-side surgery? I've not had the pleasure, but maybe the tenderness will subside after
    more healing time...

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience trying to carry IWB strong side after surgery. Both hips have been done and it is very uncomfortable to the point where its painfull to carry anything with a 3"-5" barrel as it presses right on the joint. Dont want to end up with a drawer full of holsters I cant use. Anyone reccomend one with enough cante to prevent this?
    Regards,
    TC
    While I haven't had hip surgery, I feel you pain. With the stomach problems I've had the last few months, I've been forced to carry a tiny sub-compact (Taurus TCP .32 caliber). If I want to carry anything bigger, I have to put it in a carry bag or something.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

If it hurts don't do it. Explore some other carry options until you are FULLY recovered. Have fun with it.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    If it hurts don't do it. Explore some other carry options until you are FULLY recovered. Have fun with it.
    +1 It's warming up so get your aloha shirts out and use a lite sholder rig until you can manage an OWB. I'd stay away from IWB anything until all healed and you can 'ease' back into previous habits.

As for IWB holsters, a Minitor and/or Crossbread are adjustible cant AND hight-wise. I'd look at either holster for your needs. My personal recomendation is the Comp-Tac stuff only because that's what I use better than 50% of the time.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like a remora might be right up your alley. It would allow you near infinite adjustable. You could also wear it cross draw which might help as well. Also could look into a shoulder holster.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Here is a site for the most comfortable iwb holster ever and they are not expensive. Try one and I bet you will love it as much as I do. http://n82tactical.com/n82store/

This is an interesting topic.
    I have all the holsters I need, but I believe a new hip may be in my near future.
    I'll be following this thread...

I think I would use one of my fanny packs for a while or my Fist Cross-Draw/Car Carry holster.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 20th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I haven't had surgery but I do have hip problems with my right one coming out of joint and stays out most of the time. I know all to well about the pain you feel when carrying long or slightly heavy handguns. I have a Hi-power clone I really like but do to the length and weight I seldom carry it, I'll try again when I get a IWB that goes the length of the pistol. Right now my favorite carry is a S&W m19 2.5" 357. It seems to be right there at the limit for me. I usually carry a 38 snub as they are a delight to others.
    I also carry strong side and can't hadly carry in the 4-5 position. I have often wondered about going to a shoulder holster myself.

Links