How do you secure your weapon when travelling on Interstates?

This is a discussion on How do you secure your weapon when travelling on Interstates? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier this month, my wife and I were driving South on Interstate 81. Because to some very poor driving by a tractor-trailer (moving into the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you secure your weapon when travelling on Interstates?

Earlier this month, my wife and I were driving South on Interstate 81. Because to some very poor driving by a tractor-trailer (moving into the passing lane to allow a merging tractor-trailer to enter the driving lane while 5 or 6 vehicles were in the passing lane), we were in a very bad accident (rear ended by another tractor-trailer going 75 MPH).

Our vehicle was totalled. Thankfully, we had minor bruising and sprains. I did NOT have my weapon on my body. There was quite an impact and several objects few around inside of the vehicle.

My wife understands why I carry but this event added a concern -- loaded weapon flying around in the car. My question -- what holster do folks use when travelling on long trips with high speeds or do you secure your weapon in some other fashion?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The holster and Glock featured in this video are what I had on when I totaled my tractor-trailer last year. The set-up stayed where it belongs the entire time, even though nothing else in the cab did.
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    Bark'n likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    On short trips I just keep my weapon in a Wild Bill’s Covert Carry IWB, on longer trips I switch to a shoulder holster. I never carry off body when driving solely to prevent the missile problem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    On short trips I just keep my weapon in a Wild Bill’s Covert Carry IWB, on longer trips I switch to a shoulder holster. I never carry off body when driving solely to prevent the missile problem.

I had mine in a case behind the driver seat wedged between two computer bags.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Mine stays on my person or in secure storage when going thu states that trample my rights.

If I'm wearing the Kholster (my all day holster), the gun stays in its usual cross-draw 10-11 o'clock position in the holster. When I'm doing on-off carry, I use an Uncle Mike's #8 that fits in the compartment in the rear center fold down cushion. The compartment side-loads, seals with a velcroed leather flap, and the cushion folds back up into the seat back. I don't think it's likely to come out in a survivable accident.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

On person, in my IWB or OWB holster.

I use an MTAC or Crossbreed depending on what I am carrying. I keep a Nano Vault mounted in my truck for just encase situations. I travel with the speed of traffic most of the time.

On my person OWB. I don't travel through states that trample my rights.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If it's not in my holster, its in a locked box cabled to a seat mount which is only when I am not allowed by law to have it on my person.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have driven for 5 or 6 hours before while wearing my Crossbreed SuperTuck carrying a Ruger SR9c. That was after wearing the holster for a full day at work. Very comfortable holster. I highly recommend.

All my holsters are very secure. I have some holsters I may utilize for long distance trips because of comfort and ease of draw from a seated position but even those will hold the gun in a wreck.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lately for driving trips I've been using one of those Remora Holsters to Mexican carry a gun in crossdraw position.

I thank all who commented. I'm still new at concealed carry and I have a lot to learn. Being bounced around by the impact added a level of concern. I've replayed the accident over and over in my mind and kept thinking what could have happened had I had my gun in my waist.

Mike

Glad you're safe. I drive predominantly in states where it is legal to carry in the car, but when I was back east (in all of the typical northeast and mid-Atlantic suspect states) a couple of years ago the guns got locked securely in a Center-of-Mass Safe cable-locked under the rear seat of my Suburban. All in accordance with the laws of the states I was traveling in or through that particular day. PITA.

Out here, my OWB, maybe covered, maybe not. Gotta love Colorado!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links