Holster for Hiking

This is a discussion on Holster for Hiking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spend most of my weekends during the spring, summer and fall hiking various trails throughout Wisconsin. Right now I carry my Glock 27 IWB ...

Thread: Holster for Hiking

Holster for Hiking

I spend most of my weekends during the spring, summer and fall hiking various trails throughout Wisconsin. Right now I carry my Glock 27 IWB but I find that after 10-12+ hours of hard hiking it's very uncomfortable so I'm looking for a better option.

The holster I like best so far is the wilderness safe packer but I'm looking for other ideas I might not have considered.

I would like to conceal my Glock 22 if feasible. If not I will stick with my 27. Preferably attached to my Kelty red tail backpack tho OWB would work too. Summers can get hot here so sweat is a concern.

Again, I'm looking for ideas that have not occurred to me, so please share your hiking setups or any thoughts.

Thanks much,

2. Remove Ads

I understand that a lot of joggers use SmartCarry and find it very comfortable and secure for running. I would think that both activities share the same attributes so you may want to consider one. I use one when wearing beltless attire and find it extremely comfortable forgetting that I'm carrying.

Get the one that comes with the paddle attached, but has the belt slide piece with it, and just change them out so that it is a belt slide.
    They are inexpensive but decent quality and will not rub you wrong all day.
    Uncle Mike's - Kydex Paddle Holsters
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Something to think about.....if you are like me and hate things on the legs and waist when extended hiking......SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters look at the offduty chest raider.....Just a thought.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

IMO..the Remora holsters have been the most versatile for me. Hiking, swimming, fishing, dining, etc........ G27 is my carry and I generally like it appendix style. More comfort for more reasons. Uncomfortable is never good. You need something good for all day, something you could sleep in, and something you could live with anywhere and any time for long periods. Comfort is number one.

cj
    IWB itself may not be the problem. What are you using?

Around me, people often just OC, but i'm partial to the safepacker when iwb doesn't work well...usually when i've got a heavy pack.

I had considered the "Smart carry" but I have something of a gut and I'm afraid it wouldn't work with my body shape. I might try it tho.

The chest rig seems to have potential. I wonder how it would work with my backpack tho.

My edc holster is a Galco tuck n go or a king tuck if I don't expect to have to disarm during the day or a Remora if I know I will need to disarm. Tried all 3 for hiking but the tuck n go rubs on long hikes, the king tuck caused heat rash from sweating and the remora needed adjustment every few miles to stay where I need it.

If I do go with the safe pack, should I get it to fit my G27? Or my G22? I like the idea of carrying a full size pistol but in afraid it would be to big/bulky to go unnoticed.

Hey Yupp....I hear you. I'm outdoors doing the same. I use verticle shoulder holsters, all day, half the night. Both my Beretta (Full size .40) and My Smith .44 mag (4") ride along great. I'm able to hike, climb, backpack, camp....the whole deal, in comfort.

I'm sure you notice how your gun needs to be protected out and about. IWB, OWB etc. seemed to always limit sitting, hiking through rough/close terrain....always had to keep reaching and twisting to protect the gun. Not so with the shoulder rigs. Forge through knarly oak brush, navigate loose slide-rock, get nailed by an out of nowwhere rain before you can get to your rain gear and the carry is protected.

About the only thing that you have to watch is hiking a steep hillside with a 40 lb. pack on a hotter than hell day. My rigs have closed-cell foam in their linings which hold moisture at bay (won't absorb), but I have been known to slip a newspaper plastic bag between me and the holster. Maybe not the most comfy....but it's usually only for short periods.

neverenough

I would think that a fanny pack would work better than a smart carry, but I have a 'gut' to contend with...probably the reason I don't take long hikes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Look into the waist belt packs or crampon pockets at the backpacking stores. Or look into larger camera packs. Specialty gun stuff will cost more. I prefer it on my waist belt if I am CC'ing. Usually I just OC when I hike.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I am assuming you want to conceal carry if possible if you are considering a Wilderness Safepacker? Do you always wear a backpack when hiking? I have friends that use their backpacks with Safepackers by attaching to the waist strap on their packs. Works very well for them. Here is a picture I just found on the net showing kind of what it looks like. Hiding in plain sight kind of thing.

I also know people that use the Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag. It is a chest pack that you can wear with or without a backpack. They absolutely love this pack. Plenty big enough for your G22. http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx

The Runner Kit Bag is a little smaller/thinner and could work just as well. http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Links