Holster help with IWB hybrid just does not work for me.

This is a discussion on Holster help with IWB hybrid just does not work for me. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried to carry a Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 at 3:30-4:00 with several holsters and a good double thickness 1 1/2" belt. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Holster help with IWB hybrid just does not work for me.

I have tried to carry a Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 at 3:30-4:00 with several holsters and a good double thickness 1 1/2" belt.

My problem is it feels very uncomfortable, I have tried it high and low, still it just seems to either be poking me in the back or the hip. I have tried different holsters and the most comfortable for the 3:30 is the Remora, I have a Concealment Solutions (hybrid like CB), Highnoon, they all are just to uncomfortable.

I do carry in AIWB with several different holsters and it seem very comfortable, maybe some peoples build are just different. I am 5'10" 200lbs wear a size 36" waist, I just don't get it, so many people carry at the 3:30 position and like, could I be doing something wrong?

Northeast Alabama
    Stick with AIWB.

I used to carry at 4:00 until I discovered AIWB. Now I wouldn't go back to that carry position for almost anything.

I find AIWB more comfortable, concealable and faster than any other place of carry I've tried.
    Last edited by ScottM; April 21st, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Hickory, NC
    I carry IWB, but back about 3:30 or 4:00. I prefer it behind my hip. I'll carry OWB on the hip, but not IWB. And you have to distinguish between acceptable and uncomfortable, I've never found IWB comfortable exactly. But I have found spots where I'm fine carrying there all day.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Nothing wrong. We are all built differently. I can carry IWB comfortably when standing/walking but I tire of it when I drive for some time. Overall, I prefer OWB with a cover garment.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Fayetteville, NC
    Have you tried it at 2:30-3:00 position? Have you increased your pant waist size? Have you tried a Vanguard/Bandito/MIC/Zack or any other name they go by holster?
    I have been wearing my Glock 30sf in a Remora holster at the 3 o'clock spot. I even slept with it one night to see if it would shift, didn't move at all. I find it works better for me at 3, then 3:30 or 4:00.

Can't see how a PM9 would be uncomfortable. Maybe the wider Glock. For IWB, I would have specific set of pants and jeans with a wider waist. I'd locate it strongside just behind my hip bone. Felt strongside gave the least chance of an accidental exposure versus appendix. Also do not like a barrel pointed at my vitals when sitting (i.e femoral artery). Depending on the dress code required, I do avoid IWB if I can carry in a belt or shoulder holster. To me, strongside in a belt holster is the fastest to draw from and getting an initial proper firing grip. Also less chance of grabbing some shirt on the draw.

VIP Member
    Kings Mill, Marion County, Ohio
    I could never get a hybrid to work comfortably, either. I wear a Brommeland Max-Con V at 3:00 for strong side carry, and have one available for a Kahr.
    A short video describing the Max-Con can be seen here:
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

Ft. Mitchell, Ky
    Might I suggest looking at the "Max Tuck" from White Hat Holsters, great IWB product that is very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. What I like about the product too is that you can just order new Kydex molds for different guns that you want to carry using the same holster. Tony @ White Hat has done a good job on this holster. Im waiting for them to make the Kydex for the new M&P Shield that I just picked up and I will order it too. Check them out at White Hat Holsters

Raleigh, NC
    I think you should try appendix (AIWB) carry. I used to be about your size a couple of years ago and I found that AIWB carry was the most comfortable way for me to conceal my G27 in a tuckable hybrid holster.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I've tried quite a few, also some expensive ones... I ended up using Gunmate holsters, extremely comfortable IWB and only ~$10 each...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I second the MaxTuck recommendation....I also had no luck with the 3 or 4 0'clock location, the holster dig into my spare tire when seated. I adjusted my clips to level out the cant and now carry between 1 and 2 o'clock and find it to be very comfortable even when seated. My Pro 140 never points at my jewels, even when seated.

South Carolina
    AIWB works best for me too. I use either a Cane and Derby kydex or AKJ/Concealco leather; hybrids just don't work for me. I just order a pjholsters kydex for my new M&P shield.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Senior Moderator
    Central Florida
    Try locating a new 'niche' at 4:30 - 5:00...worked for me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    home office
    AIWB while sitting is uncomfortable for me. I've found the CBST and MTAC work well at 324 :) with a lot of cant so the grip doesn't dig in.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

West Allis WI
    When using IWB and/or IWB tuckable you need to give it about a week of carrying to see if you get comfortable with it.

I have believe that some times less expensive ends working better that the more fancy deluxe expensive holsters. I find the inexpensive Ace holsters to be a good fit. With the price of them its worth a try.

Inside the waistband
    In-The-Pants Holster - Leather - Ace Case

Inside the waistband -- Tuckable
    Tuck-able Holster - Leather - Ace Case

They also have a 2 for $19.98 (mix and match)with free shipping and handling deal
    This way you can one of each of for another handgun if you have one
    Mix & Match Leather ITP and Tuck-Able Holsters - 2 for $19.98 (includes s&h) - Ace Case Manufacturing, LLC

Also wearing suspenders can be a real pain if concealing. Perry suspenders makes a great pair that is perfect for those in need. They only hook on each side rather than front and back. They work great. They also have easy on/off belt clips.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links