Suggestions for CCW a Beretta 92FS: anything better than a shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for CCW a Beretta 92FS: anything better than a shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found a deal on a full-size Beretta 92FS at a local GS, and couldn't pass it up. My carry rotation currently consists of a G19 ...

Thread: Suggestions for CCW a Beretta 92FS: anything better than a shoulder rig?

Found a deal on a full-size Beretta 92FS at a local GS, and couldn't pass it up. My carry rotation currently consists of a G19 in a straight paddle (Galco) without retaining belt straps or a Miami Classic (Galco) shoulder rig. If I have to go more discreet, I go with a TripleK ankle rig for my S&W 37 airweight snub .38, or a Diamondback .380 in a pocket holster or a wallet-holster. I am a fan of paddles for the easy on/off, as I travel a lot for my work, and it allows me to shift carry positions or remove it if needed without disrobing in the truck!

I know there aren't a ton of concealment options for a full-size pistol like the Beretta 92FS, and IWB is out of the question for a gun that big. I was considering looking for another paddle, but one with at least one belt loop strap for extra security, but most paddles stick out a LOT, and a gun that big would be a problem unless the paddle holster really kept it hugged close to the body, AND it would have to have a sweat shield to keep it from digging into my sides. A good belt rig would be fine, as long as it was full-coverage and kept it high and tight against the body. The double stack mag tends to make it "grip-heavy" so a belt rig would have to keep that grip really close...

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would be wearing a cover garment or vest when toting the 92, so ultra-deep concealment won't really be required. I did purchase Bianchi Shadow-style shoulder holster for it, and with both loaded mags to counter-balance the weight of the gun, it does a good job on the comfort and concealment scale. Now i just want another carry option for the belt!

The pic is what I am considering, has easy on/off snaps for the belt, good sweat shield, molded leather (not a fan of nylon or Kydex) and priced under $60. Whaddaya think?

HDL G19 OWB.jpg
    Last edited by tooldawg99; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add pic

VIP Member
    How about a belt slide holster?

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Found a deal on a full-size Beretta 92FS at a local GS, and couldn't pass it up. My carry rotation currently consists of a G19 in a straight paddle (Galco) without retaining belt straps.

I know there aren't a ton of concealment options for a full-size pistol like the Beretta 92FS, and IWB is out of the question for a gun that big. I was considering looking for another paddle, but one with at least one belt loop strap for extra security, but most paddles stick out a LOT, and a gun that big would be a problem unless the paddle holster really kept it hugged close to the body, AND it would have to have a sweat shield to keep it from digging into my sides.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would be wearing a cover garment or vest when toting the 92, so ultra-deep concealment won't really be required. I did purchase Bianchi Shadow-style shoulder holster for it.
    HDL G19 OWB.jpg
    Both Aker at Aker International, Inc. (specify 244A)

and Brigade at Brigade Holsters- M-15A Paddle Gun Holster (specify M15A)

DSCN3035.jpg

are very good executions of my original "configuration design" holster and are available in paddle styling for the FS. You may have to ask them to include a slide guard (don't know how that bit got to be called a "sweat shield", that's certainly not what it is), which is part of many of my later designs but may not be standard on Aker's and Brigade's versions. The paddle both companies use is also one of my "configuration designs" moulded from contoured plastic and supports top-heavy pistols well, as long as you use a sturdy belt with it.

High Noon has v good holsters for the FS and once used my paddle, too; but now are using another shape paddle.

The Bianchi "Shadow" is an example of my earlier work, developed specifically to honour & avoid Baker's patent for his Pancake.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Take a look at the Don Hume H721OT.

You can find deals on them if you look around on the internet. I just picked one up locally for a 1911 and got it on sale for $34. They usually go for about $52.

Haven't tried it on yet, but it is OWB, open top, with shield for slide and is leather. Reviews are pretty good, and the holster should keep the gun high, and close to the body with a slight cant.

I know there aren't a ton of concealment options for a full-size pistol like the Beretta 92FS,Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would be wearing a cover garment or vest when toting the 92, so ultra-deep concealment won't really be required.
    While certainly not optimal for all concealed carry situations the 92FS isn't really difficult to carry concealed. Many people do carry full size pistols. I occasionally carry my 92FS in a Galco Combat Master concealed by a cover shirt or jacket. On such occasions I do use suspenders to distribute the weight.

Links