Is there a product that will protect pocket guns in water (swimming, etc.)

This is a discussion on Is there a product that will protect pocket guns in water (swimming, etc.) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody know of a product made exclusively for protecting a small handgun while swimming or other "wet" activities? I am aware of water-tight zip-locks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is there a product that will protect pocket guns in water (swimming, etc.)

Does anybody know of a product made exclusively for protecting a small handgun while swimming or other "wet" activities? I am aware of water-tight zip-locks but am not sure if moisture could still get through them.They are also not made specifically for protecting handguns from moisture. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

LokSak. I have used these to keep things dry for years. I use one to keep my XD9sc dry and carried in a cargo pocket of my shorts on every float and raft trip I go on. I swim in the river, jump off cliffs, and generally roughhouse in the river. My gun has never gotten wet yet. They are US Navy approved, and certified waterproof to a depth of 200 ft. for two weeks submersion.

If you are looking for a hard case, then the only thing to get is Pelican Case.
    abillb and nerdyvirgin like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Two things I've used in the past for water and high-sweat activities:

1. Small "Dry Sacks" - you can get these at any outdoor store, or even wal-mart. Waterproof, and if you make sure to pack them with air, they can float, but access speed stinks. They make long-gun specific ones (I've got a heavy duty one called a "GunBoat" that's been used for 15-ish years and is still waterproof).
    2. Vacuum packing - this works great, and access is really quick if you put in a tear notch in, but you've got to seal it up in camp/at home, and once you open it, it's a one-time good deal. We used to seal everything including bulk ammo and magazines with that, though, with heavy duty material and it worked great. Good idea for a bugout bag or survival kit, but probably impractical for carry.

All that said, Bark'n's recommendations looks like a better option. If I was intentionally going for a swim, I'd go with one of those. For just boating/fishing/camping in pouring rain, I recommend using a synthetic holster, conscientious drying/cleaning every night in camp, generous lube, and a coiled lanyard!

While partaking in warter sports I used ziplock's until I discovered they couldn't handle 'tougher' sporting escapades. I dug out one of my old dive-baggies and it worked perfectly.

If there's a dive shop near you (dunno if you do in WI) take a look in there or visit a few diving websites. They have a BUNCH of items that might fit what your looking for. Camera bags/cases, bags for misc. items, etc.

Just an idea....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you're just swimming or doing "normal" water activities a good zip lock will do you fine. Also, if properly maintained it won't hurt a gun to get moist as long as you clean it after. I use zip lock bags when we go to the water park and they work great. YMMV.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I think I would try some of the gun waxes that are available online. I have seen how these protects guns against saltwater and they are really amazing!! The advantage would be that you will be able to get to your gun much faster then you could out of a dry bag.

CARNAUBA GUN WAX - Brownells

I would just use a ziplock bag and check it every now and then. If it has a high fail rate go for the vacuum bags

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

+1 on the Aloksak bags - we used them for water work to secure guns and they were good, except they need to be sealed carefully - they're not quite as easy to seal as a regular ziploc. Another thing to consider is whether you need any water protection - if your gun is stainless and has no wood grips, it might be easier just to let it get wet and dry it later.

Administrator
    Yes, there is one product called OVERBOARD - it's absolutely water tight made from nice heavy material with a positive locking top. Just search Ebay for overboard waterproof

They are available in various sizes AND they now have a waterproof fanny pack for underwater.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Overboard-Me...item519ea4e65c

Ronco?

I have played in the ocean for hours at a time with my g26. I just kept it in a belly wrap, inside my trunks. Sure, it got wet, but was rust free. The rounds being contaminated with water is a bigger concern, but to help with that, apply a coating of sealent around the case mouth and primer.

If you are not carrying a Glock, you probably better bag it, as I dont know how impervious other brands may be to rust.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    as I dont know how impervious other brands may be to rust.
    Try a SigSauer P226 MK25 - Current US SEALs weaponry. So Glock, Sig, or bag it.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Glock
    The answer to so many questions.
    Guest1 likes this.

Would this work for you?
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the input, especially the ones with the links as it makes it much quicker to compare products. I guess I can assume then that there is nothing that is made in the shape of a handgun, at least small, medium or large that you can put around your pistol and maintain it in a IWB or pocket holster so it can be readily pulled if needed.
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links