Defensive Carry banner

Bianchi 19L 1911 full size

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rednichols 
#1 ·
PRo's; Well built, sturdy, attractive leather. Easy draw and one hand return to holster w/o collapse.Thumb snap allows Condition I carry which is desired.

Con's; Must use 1 3/4" belt. I'm using a matching Bianchi 1 3/4" which is NICE btw.
Had to move farther to strong side rear to stabilize. Otherwise grip protrudes about 2 " from body and felt sloppy. About 5 O'clock position vice 4 O'Clock. Harder to conceal this style unless you wear a jacket or coat.

Had been used to a IWB Galco with thumb snap, switched because it was thin and collapsed upon drawing weapon.But Galco conceals well , comfortable and quick to put on. Bianchi will get used for range and hunting season only.

#3 ·
sgb,
I'm sticking with a thumbsnap definitely cuz I'm big on weapon retention. Looking for a pancake or another IWB one right now. This thing won't get used for ccw much, feels clumsy...

#5 ·
SGB,
I always discounted them because I feared that a weapon may be lost in a fall, scuffle, or more easily grabbed by BG. I'm more assured with having that simple snap in place. Only place I'd open carry is on the range. I'd like to use same holster for everything. Like an idiot I gave my Galco to someone who had a 1911, but refused to carry it. I'll be without till payday...

#6 ·
I designed the 19L for Bianchi in the 1970s, during my tenure there as chief of design through the 80s. It was best practice then but it's a dinosaur now; I shouldn't be surprised they still make it and the paddle version, too, because they lost the plot on design long ago. That the pistol is gripped only by the slide area is why the grip pulls away from your body. Do NOT rely on moulding to retain the pistol with this design.

And moulding was created originally to minimize wear on the pistol, not for retention. All the modern boutique makers including High Noon have switched to designs that come up behind the trigger guard to give a friction fit, and the best of these designs also have an adjustable tension device there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.