Any concerns with a Remora? - Page 2

Any concerns with a Remora?

This is a discussion on Any concerns with a Remora? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TheShadow Mine started releasing the mags during carry. The RFT bead is hitting the mag release (with sweat shield) You can see ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any concerns with a Remora?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Mine started releasing the mags during carry. The RFT bead is hitting the mag release (with sweat shield)

You can see the indentation on the RFT's edge (M&P9c)

Is this a standard or an ART?

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    What is your reservation for carrying a Glock in condition 1?
    For me, there is no way to easily tell if there is a round in the chamber. The loaded chamber indicator on a Glock is difficult to read, at least on mine. The trigger shows if the pistol is locked but that is it. At night in darkness you must be carefull checking the trigger. I don't keep my Glocks in Condition 1.

Since I do not carry my Glock 17 as a CCW, I've never had a problem until today. I left my gun in Condition 1, which I normally just do not do.

In fact, today I had a ND with my Glock 17. No one was hurt but my pride and a window. I am thankful I have a woods out the window to knock down the bullet.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

ps: I will start listening to myself.

I have one that I keep in my truck. It allows me to keep the gun between the console and the seat. It won't move! I use it occasionally to carry my Glock 19 or 30SF, condition 1. I don't think there is any concern with the holster not being secure enough. FYI: I got one size smaller than what my LGS suggested. I got a #8, I think it fits both Glocks well.

The one thing I don't like about the Remora is its thickness. It does add a little too much bulk as far as I'm concerned. It's a good holster to have so you can throw it on real quick if you have to run to the store or something. One thing for sure, it does not move wherever you put it.

After seeing that pic, I'm a little concerned about it dropping a mag! Not so much for me as for you righties though. I'm lefty but my mag catch is on the left. That's the way I like them even though my Gen 4 and my Beretta 92FS are reversible. I find it easier to drop the mag using my trigger finger or middle finger as opposed to shifting my grip to do it with my thumb. Anyhow, I can see where that could be an issue for right-handers and even a little for me.
    "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." ~ Clint Eastwood

"I hope this changes."

Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    In fact, today I had a ND with my Glock 17. No one was hurt but my pride and a window. I am thankful I have a woods out the window to knock down the bullet.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

Good to hear your okay.
    --Jason--

I have a remora for my G27. The remora protects the trigger plenty. It would be nearly impossible for the trigger to be pulled while in a remora holster.

That being said, I am not nearly as enthusiastic about remora holsters as some are. I Only use mine when I plan to be driving a lot (wedges nicely between the seats, very easy access) or if I am running a lot of errands where I will have to arm/disarm often. I find that for all day carry, It just does not stay in place as well as I'd like. Every time I sit down/stand up or get into or out of a car it moves a little. Pretty soon the grip is several inches from where I expect it to be.
    .3O8junkie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yupp View Post
    I have a remora for my G27. The remora protects the trigger plenty. It would be nearly impossible for the trigger to be pulled while in a remora holster.

That being said, I am not nearly as enthusiastic about remora holsters as some are. I Only use mine when I plan to be driving a lot (wedges nicely between the seats, very easy access) or if I am running a lot of errands where I will have to arm/disarm often. I find that for all day carry, It just does not stay in place as well as I'd like. Every time I sit down/stand up or get into or out of a car it moves a little. Pretty soon the grip is several inches from where I expect it to be.
    Do you have an ART Remora?
    --Jason--

For me, there is no way to easily tell if there is a round in the chamber. The loaded chamber indicator on a Glock is difficult to read, at least on mine. The trigger shows if the pistol is locked but that is it. At night in darkness you must be carefull checking the trigger. I don't keep my Glocks in Condition 1.

Since I do not carry my Glock 17 as a CCW, I've never had a problem until today. I left my gun in Condition 1, which I normally just do not do.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

Sorry to hear this but glad you are OK
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

First off I'm glad you and everyone else is okay. But, what the heck happened? Did you think it wasn't loaded since you don't normally carry in cond. 1? Just wondering. Stay safe friend.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Is this a standard or an ART?
    Reinforced Top with Sweat Shield and optional ankle/thigh strap

6-RFT-L-SS-T
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

For me, there is no way to easily tell if there is a round in the chamber.
    Glad to hear all is well...

1. All guns are always loaded

I have no need to discern whether my Glock is in condition 1... it always is!

Stay safe and "stay armed, my friends"
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    I have no need to discern whether my Glock is in condition 1... it always is!
    Exactly!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Do you have an ART Remora?
    Yes it is an ART

I have had the same experience as Yupp. As much as I want to like it I find that it moves when worn throughout the day and eventually I find the grip riding my waistband, which is a less than desirable position and not how I train. This could very well be due to the fact that I am a bit of a fat ass and my love handles get in the way, but it is what it is.

I will add to that that I have had it come out of my waistband while drawing 4 times now around the house. This was while my pants were secured with a belt. Since i bought it for quick trips to the store while in sweats etc and most likely not wearing a belt my confidence in its ability to remain where it should in a real situation where I needed to draw to protect myself or a loved one is just not there. I will use it in the car between the seat or for a glove box holder but I just don't see myself trusting it with my life.

After looking at that photo at the top I am wondering if my mag release is catching on the RFT edge, pulling it from my waistband? Either way I don't have the time or energy to figure it our when my Comp-Tac MTac does its job so well.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

If the loaded chamber indicator is hard to "read" something must be wrong. A slight touch of my finger tells me instantly - protruding = a round in the chamber, no protrusion = no round in the chamber. But I don't only depend on that because I was taught to retract the slide slightly and look (chamber check) - along with a magazine check - every time I handle a gun.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand "the trigger shows if the pistol is locked..." or "...in darkness you must be careful checking the trigger". What exactly are you checking the trigger for? I don't touch the trigger unless I'm ready to fire or when I have unloaded (dropped the mag and emptied the chamber then double checked with a chamber check and magazine check) and am going to do some dry practice or field strip the pistol.

Also please tell us how your ND happened. It may help one of us from having the same thing happen to us. Thanks

A simple press check is the best way to tell if a round is chambered. I found the remora comfortable and it stays in place, but I keep the gun riding low so the grip is just above the belt line. You still need a belt if your using it for extended periods, then it stays in place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links