Defensive Carry banner

IWB holsters, inside the belt but outside the pants.

16K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  bseal 
#1 ·
My pants are too tight so I bought a bigger pair of jeans so I could wear an IWB holster. Granted, I could stand to lose a couple pounds but this ain't working. Anybody tried an IWB holster inside the belt but outside the pants. I'm carrying a G 23 OWB but want to buy an IWB. I can't see why this wouldn't work but wouldn't mind a little input before I spend the scratch.

#6 ·
Sorry gun thickness is not going to make a big difference. Everyone goes through a wardrobe change you have to buy pants that are a size or two bigger or carry in a different position like a kangaroo carry or belly band up under the arm pit

#7 ·
One thing to keep in mind with carrying an IWB in that manner is that if it's a wider design you will need to skip your belt loop at 3 o'clock to clear the gun which is going to make your belt and pants less of a single unit so to speak. So it can allow your belt to slide up down independent of your pants which can make a good holster ride pretty terribly. If it's a small design say like a Summer special style of holster I think you'll have better luck than the wider designs(like mine and a bunch of others).

Overall though I would normally recommend carrying most holsters in the position and style they were designed for, usually there are some pretty good reasons for the way they are put together than makes them work in a specific role best. Though sometimes that's not true so it depends on the rig.

Take care!

Luke

#9 ·
I've tried my remora with full sized M&P 40 outside my pants but inside the belt. about 5 o'clock, didn't even have to skip any belt loops. I wore like that for a day, worked fine and was actually more comfortable, I just like to conceal it better so I wear it iwb.

#10 ·
Proper fitting holster with proper fitting pants and proper fitting belt makes for a proper fitting carry rig. :yup:

I prefer the High Noon Public Secret IWB holster for my Glock 23.

Handgun holster Leather
Handgun holster Tan Brown Leather Gun accessory
Blue Clothing Denim Jeans Human leg
Handgun holster Belt Climbing harness Waist Gun accessory

click image to enlarge....

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/

OS

#11 ·
I've always lived by the concept that concealed carry isn't supposed to be comfortable but comforting. The older I get the harder it is to stay un-comfortable. I'm trading horsepower for a pocket carry LCP and that's not all that comforting so I thought I'd try IWB again. I'd rather shop for holsters than a new wardrobe but it looks like I need to do both. Thanks for the quick advice and the new selection.

#15 ·
I've worn my XD between my pants and belt in an IWB holster on many occasions. Works fine.
Depending on the pants I'm wearing, sometimes its more comfortable.

#16 ·
I see no reason why using an IWB holster between the belt and pants would not work. You might have an issue with belt loops as mentioned earlier, and if your shirt rides up for any reason, you may expose your holster (but OWB wearers have to deal with this too). Give it a try! It may work out to be the best way for YOU!

#17 ·
I tend to agree Woodlark. I've tried IWB holsters and the belt fed through the loops on the holster easier and the belt held it tighter. The belt loops on the pants will be the issue because I like it at the kidney position OWB. It shouldn't crush the holster for reholstering any different than if I wore it inside. I'll try a couple things and get back to you if you're interested. Thanks for all the help for a kinda silly question.

#20 ·
I carried like that around the house for part of a day. I had to skip a belt loop at 9:00. My pants didn't sag too bad but the draw just didn't feel right. My other concern was if my shirt lifted up enough to expose it in public I didn't want to be vulnerable for a gun grab with no retention devise. I feel better with my Blackhawk if it's OWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.