My apologies to the fine holster artists on our site

This is a discussion on My apologies to the fine holster artists on our site within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But I bought a Don Hume OWB speed holster in a moment of weakness at a local gun show. It was cheap. It looked cool. ...

Thread: My apologies to the fine holster artists on our site

But I bought a Don Hume OWB speed holster in a moment of weakness at a local gun show.

It was cheap. It looked cool. Did I mention that it was cheap? $35 bucks out the door.

But...

After getting home and trying for fit I noticed that it is boned for safety OFF. I'm not comfortable with this. When I practice situational training I now automatically sweep the safety on my classic 9mm Browning Hi-Power and do not feel that it adds to my time unless observed in the miliseconds.

I carry cocked-and-locked. I like the lock. It makes me feel safe. It makes me feel that others are safe.

What can I do now? Toss this new Don Hume in the box with the others and chalk it up to another reason to seek a "real" holster?

Or can I attempt to wet down and change the boning to a locked postition knowing that if I fail I am only out $35.

Confused in Indiana,

PapaScout (aka Ron)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I have a Don Hume IWB that I payed 27.00 for shipped and like it a lot, in fact I think it's the best bang for the buck out there. I consider it a "real" holster.

I'm not sure what "boned" means but if the holster is formed for the safety off then take the pistol and put it in a thin plastic bag. The ones like you pull off the rolls in supermarkets for vegtables work great. Then spray the holster well with the stuff used for stretching boots and shoes, I think walmart probably has it. Shove the pistol in there, safety on or however you want it and spray it some more. Let it dry and it should fit perfectly. I have done this before and was very happy with the results.

PapaScout,
    Is this a thumb-break design or open-top. If it's a thumb-break and the strap is fitted for hammer down there is probably not much you can do. If it is an open-top design, you should be able to just spot wet the area you want to mold. Just use some very hot water on a sponge or dauber and wet the area you need to remold. Wetting the inside will likely allow the water to absorb better. You can warp the pistol in plastic cling-wrap, or just well oil it. Insert it in the holster after you've wet the area you need to mold, and then you can mold around the safety. Just wetting one area like this will prevent you from over saturating the entire holster and possibly messing up the fit and retention. No need to wet the whole thing if you just need to change one small area. Prior to getting any specialty tools, I use to use a stainless butter-knife handle for molding. I still use one for ejection port indents. Anything with a hard smooth surface that you can manipulate around the safety will work.
    Hope this helps.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Mark,

This is a thumb-break design. I have not tried it with hammer down assuming that it is meant for a cocked weapon.

Is it not worth trying the reshaping procedure with the retention strap?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

If it was designed for hammer down carry, (which a lot of mass produced single-action holsters are) there would be a little excess length to the strap when you try using it cocked and locked, which may be why it's sweeping the safety off. The strap should be a reasonably snug fit over the top of the slide. If the strap is too long the snap would have to be relocated and the excess length trimmed off. Do you have any photos you could post or e-mail to me??
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Administrator

Thumbs up

Notice Folks how a CombatCarry holster maker helps nice forum member fix Boo~Boo Ka~Ka Holster made by another maker.

These guys just continue to constantly amaze me.

Matk Garrity =

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    ""Notice Folks how a CombatCarry holster maker helps nice forum member fix Boo~Boo Ka~Ka Holster made by another maker.""

Well put...........Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

this kind of stuff just makes me love this site even more =O)

I agree. This kind of sharing of information is wonderful. Thank you Mark for your advice.

I do feel badly that I am asking for help with another holster. I wish my wife was more understanding of my "habit" then I could order a holster and have it shipped to the house. :)

Perhaps I can commission a new holster and have it shipped to a buddie's house? Sad, huh? But such is life in my house.

The strap is tight when C-n-L so I guess that means it was designed for such but the safety is definitely molded down (off).

I will try wetting and reforming.

Thank you all.

Ron

Links