Defensive Carry banner

Need help with 1911

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  REDTAIL 
#1 ·
Hello my fellow DC compadres
I am walking around the gun store today and see a galco v hawk for a 1911. I have been thinking of carrying my ruger 1911 some lately because I LOVE it and shoot really well with it. I don't want to wait 10 weeks on a holster and it seemed super nice. $100 otd wasn't to nice but hey.....it's galco. Anyone with experience?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#8 ·
No, not yet. I usually just throw a cover shirt over it when I wear it. It comes with "C" clips that you can interchange for the belt loops, so it's actually tuckable. It's a pretty comfortable rig. I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters, but I got this one for the times that I needed one. Normally, everything I carry rides in a Galco Concealable above my right rear pocket. The Sig P-232 and Walther PPK/S share a holster, and then I have one for the Kimber and one for my Sig P-220. But I also have a V-Hawk, a couple of Avengers, a middle of the back, a cross draw, a belly band, a T-shirt with the holster pockets, and one of those Day Runner Planners that hides a gun. It seems like a lot, but whatever the occasion, I can carry a gun and be comfortable while doing it. To me, that's important. I don't want to walk around looking armed and dangerous. I just want to be prepared.

#9 ·
Okay laddies and gents.
I believe I'm going to order a Kelley gun leather c-flex. Look then up. They are highly regarded in the 1911 community and has a 3 week lead time. Horse hide and shark trim for $130 not bad at all! I have an email into him now because its kind of weird the way its set up but anyways I want yalls opinion on these? Anyone have annnnyyyy experience with Mr Steven Kelley? :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#10 ·
I have two Kelley Gunleather C-flex's. One is cow leather for my Springfield Champion SS with a 15° cant and the other is horse leather with natural finish and white thread with a 25° cant for my Para Black Ops. They are very comfortable and well made. With my size 5'6 145 pounds the 25° forward canted holster work's the best for me. It rolls the grip a little more forward and help's with less printing.http://emob1090.photobucket.com/alb...ums/i369/Runt7680/1333928104.jpg?t=1333928105

#13 ·
I am in the process of figuring out if I really want shark skin. Its only on the reinforced mouth and snaps?:confused:
In your opinion horse hide or cowhide? On a website by a holster maker he argues that cow is tougher and better quality??

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#15 ·
When I pull my Champion out of my cow leather it has more holster fuzz than my Para with the horse leather does. My horse leather is stiffer than my cow. Horse is also more moisture resistant. IMO with an IWB it's going to covered up and no one will see it, so the extra price for the exotic trim is not worth it. If I could open carry, I would have all the extra exotic piece's added. Steven will answer all your question's and give his suggestion's as well. He is a one man shop and will get my money again and again.http://emob1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/Runt7680/1334527206.jpg?t=1334527207

#16 ·
Go to Brownells website. Search for Milt Sparks. They have the Summer Special II in stock. Other than a Versa Max II, that's as good as you can do for a 1911. I got one to get me by until the VM II horse/shark showed up after about five months. Only grouch I have about it is that it is in natural, not black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.