First try at making leather holsters

This is a discussion on First try at making leather holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was looking fir holster ideas for my sr40c and Saw a vid on youtube and thought why not. Was a fun learning experience. Now i ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dhayes

Thread: First try at making leather holsters

First try at making leather holsters

Was looking fir holster ideas for my sr40c and Saw a vid on youtube and thought why not. Was a fun learning experience. Now i know some do's and dont's to make the next ones better. Lookmg for some advice or tips anyone may have on making these. Thanks.

First one.
    uploadfromtaptalk1336866340852.jpg

Second one.
    uploadfromtaptalk1336866386032.jpg

Then modified my mikes holster with some belts i had and made it into a drop thigh type holster.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    JustInCase likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Aaaa the smell of leather....I have made a couple. you get better with ever try

I use saddle grade leather (10 oz) you can get a half side for about 50.00

Might want to check out this site. Great info.

Leatherworker.net

Possibly the best holster making tutorial I've found.

Holster Making Tutorial

Where I order all my stuff.

Home - Springfield Leather Co. Inc.

Welcome to the addiction.

Tips. Get good 8-9 oz leather. The Herman Oak stuff is a joy to work with. Read, surf, and look at other holsters. And have fun. I've made 3 leather holsters so far and a bunch of hybrids. It's a lot of fun.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Those are excellent links. I was going to suggest them. I made my first concealment holster using the Shane Whitlock info. One of these days I'll look him up. He only lives about 50 miles from me.

Yes great links thank you. I used the cheap leather on these so i didnt waste good stuff for practice. It is addicting though. Kind of relaxing also. I think my next one will be a shoulder holster.

My first one was the cheapest stuff I could find between Amazon and Hobby Lobby. I know the feeling. Worked out a few bugs and went for it. If you decide to spend some money and make another one do yourself a favor and look around leatherworker. I've picked up some fantastic advice just reading old threads over there. I've already fixed some mistakes and saved some serious money with some of the tricks I've picked up.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

try Tandy leather out of FT Worth TX they are on line and they have everything you need to make holsters including belt clips and Chicago screws for the kydex. They will send you a catalog for free

Quote Originally Posted by Dhayes View Post
    Was looking fir holster ideas for my sr40c and Saw a vid on youtube and thought why not. Was a fun learning experience. Now i know some do's and dont's to make the next ones better. Lookmg for some advice or tips anyone may have on making these. Thanks.

First one.
    uploadfromtaptalk1336866340852.jpg

Second one.
    uploadfromtaptalk1336866386032.jpg
    Very basic designs but very well done in terms of functionality. Pleasant surprise! When the functionality is done well, the cosmetics are unimportant unless they could contribute to structural weakness -- or the designer deludes himself that he's created beauty. In my experience, folks will buy something that looks good but doesn't work, before they'll buy something that works but doesn't look good. Words (for the holster maker) to live by!
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Good start on the holsters and do look it they would work. Do they work as you expected them too? If yes then that is all that matters.

I started out the same way here with posting my first holsters oh so many years ago. Let me know if you have any questions.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Good work Dhayes and thanks for the links peeps, keep'em coming...
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good job....keep it up!!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Thanks everyone.

I deffinitly didnt go for pretty but did want something that worked. The tan minimal type holster i like the best and have been using since. With it on my belt and a t-shirt untucked. Its hardly noticable, wont fall out while running jumping or other movement, very eay and smooth draw, and is still comfortable while sitting and driving. The grey one (which i still need to dye) is a little tight and not as smooth to draw off my belt. But better than the mikes holster on a belt.

Overall im happy with them and with the info on these links the next should be better. I might pick up some good leather after payday and try some more.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Look good for a first attempt. I started making leather sheaths for some of my knives about 6 months ago. It has been a fun, relaxing and rewarding hobby. I am working on my first holster now. It has been challenging but a good time. Keep at it and let us see your progress.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links