Smartcarry vs 3 speed holster

This is a discussion on Smartcarry vs 3 speed holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a Smartcarry that I use for my Glock 26. I find it just a little shallow for my 19. I am considering ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 1 Post By Buckj

Thread: Smartcarry vs 3 speed holster

I currently have a Smartcarry that I use for my Glock 26. I find it just a little shallow for my 19. I am considering buying another but have seen a lot of advertising for the 3 speed. I am curious if anyone has used both and if so what are your thoughts.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Never heard of the 3 Speed, but after looking at it I like the concept better than my Smartcarry. Smartcarry for me is more universal as it works with my XDM, Shield and 642.

Money back guarantee, try it and let us know your thoughts on the comparison. :)

I have a belly band that seems to do it for me. I looked at this and it seems to be a lot of unnecessary material. The back flap is way too big and would be hot in a summer carry. I like some of the features and if they could reduce the size I would get one

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    It looks too big to wear deep enough with a tucked shirt. I wear my Smartcarry with suits and dress slacks this rig looks like the top protrudes too far up. I carr a 4" 1911 and the Smart carry works great. Not convinced.
    10thmtn likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have both a 3 Speed and a SmartCarry.

The 3 Speed is well made. It's stiff enough to hold it's shape. It's a little thick (not thin and flimsy like belly bands I've tried). The holster mouth holds itself open enough that you can reholster one-handed.

It's substantial enough that it's quite a thing you're strapping onto your body, but it's comfortable.

You wear it at the same height as a belt-mounted IWB holster, with the mouth of the holster even with the top of your pants and with the grip above the belt line. This is in contrast the the SmartCarry, where the entire gun is below the belt line.

It seems to work OK when I position the gun at 3:00 to 4:00. But I personally can't position it at 12:00 because my belly is overweight and it pushes the top forward making it print badly. At 3:00 to 4:00 I can tuck in a T-shirt and it barely prints, but my shape becomes lopsided because (as with pretty much any IWB holster) my body looks "fatter" on the side with the gun. With the T-shirt untucked I still look lopsided, but it's not so obvious.

Hope this helps.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

This is a lot of good info. I agree I thought it had a lot extra material. I sent an email asking if I could trim it and its not an option. I worry the extra material would be hot. I sometimes carry my Smartcarry in the same position I would a normal IWB holster but I also like the option of it riding below the belt line. 9/10 if I am wearing the Smartcarry its below the belt line and my shirt is tucked. I am pleased with ease of access without have to settle for a smaller gun I may not shoot as well. I will continue to dig. Thanks for the comments and please continue

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have a belly band that seems to do it for me. I looked at this and it seems to be a lot of unnecessary material. The back flap is way too big and would be hot in a summer carry. I like some of the features and if they could reduce the size I would get one

Oh my gosh! This lady made me not want it because she did such a horrible job narrating the holster! She could have prepared herself a little so she wasn't continuously looking up at the cue cards! And I agree that it looks like it has too much material and they are waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overselling the product for their FOURTH carry, yes, I said their FOURTH way to carry so NOT ONLY IS IT A 3-SPEED... IT IS A..." 4-speed??? Hmmm... not sure! If anybody knows the company, ask... no tell... no... beg them... super beg them to redo it because if I have to watch that entire video again, I will probably use my gun to shoot my computer screen! And I highly doubt 3-Speed Holsters will re-imburse me for the screen (though I bet they would if they had to watch the video themselves!)
    Joking aside, the holster does seem to be pretty decent, though they really need to not oversell it IMO. I do have the Smartcarry and it looks very similar, is done in a very comfortable fabric and without the extra backing.
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

I really like my Smart Carry for church carry when i will be hugged tightly by all the older ladies and youngsters...they never know i am carrying
    camsdaddy likes this.

I have two 3-Speeds. I think they are very comfortable and perfect for wear with loose fitting sweat pants. However, if I am wearing tighter fitting pants my two favorite concealment holsters is the Remora and the White Hat.

Stay Safe,
    Vv

Does the 3 speed get hot?

Sponsored Links