How to assist a IWB Horsehide holster help conform to your body?

This is a discussion on How to assist a IWB Horsehide holster help conform to your body? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a IWB holster from White Hat holsters and it looks pretty nice. but it's flat (like how my crossbreed was) right now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to assist a IWB Horsehide holster help conform to your body?

I just got a IWB holster from White Hat holsters and it looks pretty nice. but it's flat (like how my crossbreed was)

right now I'm wearing it in the house to help conform to my body, but I was curious if there are any other tricks I can do to help it conform to my body.

some kind of oil? wet the leather a little? I have no idea. so I'm here to ask...at the back it's so flat that it's actually pulling my pants outwards lol. I put the belt on really tight for now and can't think of anything else.\

Maybe some swea and heat? lol

Thanks!

Why not ask the people who made it ... Unless this is their first one, they have run into this problem before.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I did, and I'm sure I'll get an email back sometime during the day tomorrow, but I thought maybe someone can beat them to it so I can do it before work tomorrow :)

hell bends the leather... wear it... the more you do it will break in

Horsehide is tough stuff. Putting oil on it might bleed onto your clothes unless you also finish over it. Wetting it may help. If you do it, just dampen it good. Not soaking wet. Then wear it dry. But sometimes leather will stiffen after being wet, so you might trade one problem for another.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The info sheet that was sent with your CBST suggests to use saddle soap to protect and soften the leather. That is what I have used on my ST. I am sure White Holsters are no different. Just keep wearing it and it will be fine.

SDG
    I have the same holster.

I heated the Kydex and bent it where the screws are so it would fit my side better. I also dressed the edges of the leather with a file because they were sharp and cut into my side. It took some massaging but it fits great. Now my only problem is a creaking noise... still have a few tricks I need to try for that.

I tried to attach a photo of what I did, but It's tough to photograph.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Still waiting for my mini tuck! They said 4-6 weeks.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    I have the same holster.

I heated the Kydex and bent it where the screws are so it would fit my side better. I also dressed the edges of the leather with a file because they were sharp and cut into my side. It took some massaging but it fits great. Now my only problem is a creaking noise... still have a few tricks I need to try for that.

I tried to attach a photo of what I did, but It's tough to photograph.

Yeah, this is very creaky compared to my superstuck.

and those clips are something else, it hurts to attach it to a belt! holy crap! talk about strong clips!!!

DC
    I did the same as SDG soon after I got mine. It worked great and conforms to my waist...very comfortable.

Sponsor

Boss

Howdy Taseal... This is Tony with White Hat Holsters. I am sure Sam will be responding to your email today but I wanted to chime in here as well. for the initial break in period, we recommend that you do nothing for the first 2 weeks and allow the leather to naturally break in. Within a few days you will see it start to conform to your body and become more comfortable. The heat from your body will break it down and soften it up a bit. After that, I do recommend saddle soap as suggested here for a minor conditioning initially and then Mink oil or Neatsfoot oil. Here is a video link that will show you how to do this with our cleaning and conditioning kit but you can find this stuff at just about any leather store as well.
    CLEANING AND CONDITIONING VIDEO

For the creaking, that should clear up in the next couple weeks as well. If it is still noticeable, a little saddle soap on the leather behind the clips will help.

Finally, I saw someone else suggest bending the flanges to help it conform to your curves better. We see this mostly with thin folks that wear right on the hip at 3:00 or 9:00 for lefties. What you will want to do, is place your gun in the holster (VERY IMPORTANT) and lay a moist paper towel or dish towel over the kydex leaving the sight rail and flange exposed. Heat it slowly with a hairdryer or heat gun (only on the slide side of the kydex) for about 10 seconds, then try to bend it down slowly. IF YOU NOTICE IT BECOMING SHINY OR SMOOTH... STOP. It is going to melt at that point. If it is too stiff, heat again for 10 seconds, and try bending it a little further...repeat as necessary. Take it slowly and please put the towel or paper towel over the top so as not to distort the mold at all. If you care to send it to me I would be happy to do it for you.

If I can help in any other way please let me know. Have a great day and thanks for your support!
    Last edited by WhiteHatCo; May 15th, 2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: forgot something
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatCo View Post
    Howdy Taseal... This is Tony with White Hat Holsters. I am sure Sam will be responding to your email today but I wanted to chime in here as well. for the initial break in period, we recommend that you do nothing for the first 2 weeks and allow the leather to naturally break in. Within a few days you will see it start to conform to your body and become more comfortable. The heat from your body will break it down and soften it up a bit. After that, I do recommend saddle soap as suggested here for a minor conditioning initially and then Mink oil or Neatsfoot oil. Here is a video link that will show you how to do this with our cleaning and conditioning kit but you can find this stuff at just about any leather store as well.

For the creaking, that should clear up in the next couple weeks as well. If it is still noticeable, a little saddle soap on the leather behind the clips will help.

Finally, I saw someone else suggest bending the flanges to help it conform to your curves better. We see this mostly with thin folks that wear right on the hip at 3:00 or 9:00 for lefties. What you will want to do, is place your gun in the holster (VERY IMPORTANT) and lay a moist paper towel or dish towel over the kydex leaving the sight rail and flange exposed. Heat it slowly with a hairdryer or heat gun (only on the slide side of the kydex) for about 10 seconds, then try to bend it down slowly. IF YOU NOTICE IT BECOMING SHINY OR SMOOTH... STOP. It is going to melt at that point. If it is too stiff, heat again for 10 seconds, and try bending it a little further...repeat as necessary. Take it slowly and please put the towel or paper towel over the top so as not to distort the mold at all. If you care to send it to me I would be happy to do it for you.

If I can help in any other way please let me know. Have a great day and thanks for your support!
    Now that's customer service. After a week, I still haven't received a call back from Galco.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatCo View Post

Thanks!

I'm gonna wear it until about June. In June, I'll be going on TDY for 2 weeks, so if still is a problem, I will send it to ya and you could take care of it for me, and I'd appreciate it!

just out of curiousity, how come you guys don't do that while it's being made? I guess it's a problem for only some people and not most? I think supertuck is like that too.

I am a lefty, but wear closer to 7-8 o'clock position. WHen you mean the flanges and sight rail, do you mean the area where the kydex screws are? (where the kydex attaches to the leather)

also, would it help conform if I wore my belt 'extra' tight? (one more notch in) I can't say it's the most comftrable, but I figured it'll wrap it tigther to my body?

Also just to mention, I have that cowboy type leather and it's real nice, but something on the laser (the screw?) put a pretty nasty scratch on that leather, kind of tore the 'skin' off. pretty sad about it :( happened only within couple draws

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Now that's customer service. After a week, I still haven't received a call back from Galco.
    Yeah, they reply to emails very fast and regular posters here with any issues, they're awesome!!!

SDG
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Yeah, this is very creaky compared to my superstuck.

and those clips are something else, it hurts to attach it to a belt! holy crap! talk about strong clips!!!
    I really like the clips. They're so strong, they could probably be half the width and still provide good retention (but be less conspicuous).

The creaking isn't terrible on mine but I think the holster should be completely silent.

EDIT: I didn't see all the other posts (including Tony's) until after I posted....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links