Custom-made holster for new BP9CC by luvthegun....awesome!!

This is a discussion on Custom-made holster for new BP9CC by luvthegun....awesome!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back out from under my bridge. Getting crowded. You might do well to know that Red was the chief designer and manager for Bianchi for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Custom-made holster for new BP9CC by luvthegun....awesome!!

Back out from under my bridge. Getting crowded. You might do well to know that Red was the chief designer and manager for Bianchi for one hell of a long time. I don't always agree with him in detail but when he speaks I listen. Just because he choose to retire to Oz can't be held against him. OK back under the bridge.

2. Remove Ads

Credit where credit is due, Red.

Your last comment was 100% spot-on: "But the OP is happy with the result, and that's all that matters..."

My money, my ideas for the rig, now my rig, and I like it just fine. Funny how something so "wrong" in so many ways to you, can be just right for me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Credit where credit is due, Red.

Your last comment was 100% spot-on: "But the OP is happy with the result, and that's all that matters..."

My money, my ideas for the rig, now my rig, and I like it just fine. Funny how something so "wrong" in so many ways to you, can be just right for me. :)
    Well done. It's a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    You might do well to know that Red was the chief designer and manager for Bianchi for one hell of a long time. I don't always agree with him in detail but when he speaks I listen. Just because he choose to retire to Oz can't be held against him. OK back under the bridge.
    Don't go under any bridge, Denster, you're no troll.

I hope I get credit for more than my early work for Bianchi. Among the biggest compliments I ever got, as a designer, was from Kamuran Aker: "Your are designer, not businessman" with "reputation for being difficult to work with" who nevertheless "put me on map" (Kamuran is Turkish and talks funny). Doesn't get any better than that.

Regards,

I never post up here, my guys do it for me, but I'll have to jump in here to add some information for everyone. I'll break it down best as I can, cause "I was there".

As I Have said in a previous post, many up here do not know of Red and most if not all holster makers up here have no clue about Red. The only way to know of him is to be "in the industry". You could make holsters for years and still not be in the industry, at the center of the heart beat.

There are many posts up here and on other forums about great holster makers, pioneers in the industry .......Gaylord. Seventrees, Anderson, Baker, Theodore........Etc Etc Etc No mention of Red??? It makes us laugh over here ay High Noon. Put all the legends together, they do not even come close to what Red has accomplished and contributed to the industry. He left a blazing trail that no one.....no one will be able to follow.

Red's resume is impressive to look at, but it's just entertainment unless you really study it and understand the depth of the accomplishments that he has achieved.

He was the driving force behind Bianchi's success. The first holster maker to mass produce a holster so everyone could have one .....now.
    There has never been one man that did so much and received so little back in recognition. There are books and videos that came out in that time period.There are few words spoken about him, maybe a sentence in both books and video.

Let me set a time line snap shot for you guys, because to read the resume you can't get a good feeling of what really went on....................................

There is Red, like a Great White apex predator trolling the waters, never stopping, always in motion, a six sense super heightened awareness of what's going on around him. And then there is the competition, feeding off the scraps of the latest kill. He left a path behind him like nuclear bomb.

When Red left Bianchi, that's when the company lost the "intrigue". With Red gone, the industry (the competition) then had a breather to try and catch up. If Red stayed at Bianchi, nobody was catching them....nobody. It took the industry a good 10 to 12 years to catch up. A major reason for the catch up was Red, who opened up Nichols Innovation and was designing for most of the big 5 in the industry. He is responsible for so many designs you see today.

I remember at one shot show , I said, Red did you go by Xyz booth, did you see what abc has at thier booth. He said to me I do not even want to go by, they start asking me all these questions, hey Red what about this design, hey Red what about this patent, hey Red what do you think about this. He was the go to guy everyone was trying to feed off of because of his design skills and patent knowledge.

Red's company Nichols Innovations really shook up the industry, now there was a gun for hire. Thats another first in the industry. Nichols Innovation ran till Red went to live in Oz. He left a path few know about, and no one will be able to duplicate.Thankfully (oh how nice) his name went down on the Bianchi patents, and naturally the many patents after Bianchi, but the story will still be very hard to piece together. I hope this helps.

As I said before if there ever was a "Yoda" of holster making, it is Red. He is the "One".

Michael

QKShooter likes this.
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Very impressive credentials, no doubt.

However, I stand by the fact that the holster that was the original object of this post, is not flawed in design, nor are there any issues with how it carries my weapon, nor with the angle of the grip for draw. Simply: it works.

Credentials aside, any expert in any field can point out what they consider to be "flaws", design-shortcomings, improper angle, etc. on someone else's work. It is understandable that they may have done something differently.

However, the comments directed to my holster strike me much like the Engineer/Designer trying to explain to the bumblebee that despite his ability and willingness to fly, his size/weight/wingspan, density of wing composition/disproportional weight to wing angle/ etc make him incapable of flight.

Of course the bumble bee just doesn't know he isn't supposed to be able to fly in spite of what the experts tell him. It works for the bee, it works for me.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Ford say they are better than Chevy.....Chevy say they are better than Ford. Some folks prefer the taste of a hamburger steak over a high price ribeye....and so on. Same with guns and holster. A matter of taste and likes.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Its nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice........
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I like the OP's holster. Very functional, and perfect for concealing under a simple T-shirt. I have the Bersa BP 9cc and there are not a lot of options out for holsters right now.

Bianchi and Galco? Every newbie to concealed carry probably has a couple laying around in their junk holster box that they bought off the shelf at their local gun store. I have a few myself, and they are in the minor leagues compared to some of the top holster makers quality and most of their products just suck for concealed carry.

I carry my Glock 17 and Glock 19 in this Milt Sparks VMII. Must be a pretty good holster as almost eveyone tries to copy it.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    However, the comments directed to my holster strike me much like the Engineer/Designer trying to explain to the bumblebee that despite his ability and willingness to fly, his size/weight/wingspan, density of wing composition/disproportional weight to wing angle/ etc make him incapable of flight.

Of course the bumble bee just doesn't know he isn't supposed to be able to fly in spite of what the experts tell him. It works for the bee, it works for me.
    And if the Wright Brothers had had only insects' flight mechanisms to study, we wouldn't have airplanes.

And if it weren't for the designers of the 60s and 70s, holsters wouldn't perform as they do today (e.g., holsters would still be "block" fitted and made from thick cowhide; hell, the thumbreak didn't even exist).

To take for granted all that's gone before you in holster design, is like assuming that the world would be just as safe if we hadn't fought back against the 9/11 attacks: wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I like the OP's holster. Very functional, and perfect for concealing under a simple T-shirt.

Gorgeous. I had a Sparks belt and IWB from Milt's era. To compare the execution of a Sparks product to the OP's holster is, as the locals say, "like chalk and cheese". The execution of the Sparks sets a high bar for comparison; and it LOOKS like a good design (the two issues of execution and design are separate), though I've not handled one myself.

Best wishes to all in their quest for the "perfect" holster.

Red:

Once again, slamming something you have only seen (mine), then crediting something else you've also only seen. Pardon the directness, but you, sir, are boring me. You have clearly made your point, several times, that you don't care for my rig. Fine. I know most Senior Citizens repeat themselves, so I think we can all go on record as being clear that you do not consider anything about my rig to be correct, functional or adequate in any way.

Somehow, I will try to go on with my life. And please resist the urge to make yet another disparaging remark about my rig. I really don't care what your opinion is, especially in light of the fact that you have made the same comments multiple times. I doubt I am in for a surprise.

Here's hoping you are enjoying your well-deserved retirement in Aussie-land. Have some wine and chalk....er..cheese on me.

Administrator
    Please understand that any time you post anything on an Internet forum folks are going to comment. I think that everybody on the planet with an Internet connection is pretty much aware of that fact by now.
    Some comments will be liked and some will not be liked. Some comments will be patronizing and some will be brutally honest. All manner of comment and opinion is fine on DC as long as those comments do not violate our forum rules.

Red Nichols critiqued the holster with his professional opinion. Yes, actually his opinion would be considered to be a highly professional and respected opinion throughout the entire leather/holster manufacturing industry for a good number of years.

It is important not to take a product critique and turn it into a personal attack of the member that is offering a product opinion.

I once had a great (now deceased) artist and painter look at my work and tell me that I was a "half decent" artist and that the quickest way for me to become a truly great artist would be for me to sweep his studio floors without pay for about five years. At the time that TRULY hurt my pride and had about the exact same effect as a biting glove slap to my face.

Looking back at that particular point in my life NOW - I'm actually quite sorry that I didn't take him up on his offer.

That artist BTW was Frank Mason. You can click this link and then click on Paintings and Drawings and view his work. Check out his Portraits, Landscapes, Still life, etc.
    http://www.frankmason.org/

My purpose in posting this is not to toss the OPs thread Off Topic but only to accentuate the fact that
    perhaps there is a lesson to be learned for the holster maker here in this thread. When it comes to the arts and the various crafts there is always room for improvement and that is what all artists and crafts persons should always strive for. AKA to get the quality up there with the very best makers.

Folks that know me here know that I go out of my way not to bash any members here. My "no bashing" average is pretty doggone good considering my astronomical number of posts. I have also been doing leather work for a long time.

Looking at the above holster photos my opinion (minus any emotion or personal attack) would be that the maker is not yet of a professional caliber...though his work may be serviceable to some degree.
    It is GOOD though that it is working out for you. There is no reason why I would want it to not work out well for you.

It is incredibly difficult for any fairly new holster maker to be innovative and revolutionary with regard to holster design and construction.
    Much of what works best has already created through years of trial and error and blood, sweat, & tears and wasted hides of leather" - there are also some time tested and proved construction methods (with regard to stitching at leather stress points) which certainly have been somewhat violated in the above holster. And certainly more attention could be paid to general esthetics.
    That is just a fact and not (in any way) intended to be a mean comment.

These days I am pretty much only doing fairly high dollar custom knife sheaths for one knife maker. And while I have made a few personal design improvements - one of those being a retention strap that actually is capable of being moved out of the way so that it does not get sliced when re sheathing the blade....I pretty much stick with what always has worked best with regard to the very best sheath design and construction.
    I reserve the bulk of my creativity for the tooling, embellishments, and the superficial personal touches that help to make my work unique and beautiful but, I do not "mess around" with the basic construction that historically makes a great sheath a great, long lasting, utilitarian, functional, sheath.

I hope this helps. It's not intended to be a slam at all.
    sgb likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am hesitant to post. But wanted to say. A seasoned veteran of leather work I am not. There is only so many ways to do something. In this case he knew what he wanted. And I made it for him. At $50 I think it is a good deal. Fault can be found in anything believe me I know.

When I started making holsters I wanted to provide a quality holster molded for one gun. I found that for the price I was willing to $50. There was not anything out there for me. So I started making holsters. I learn something with every holster I make. My goal will always be to provide an option for those of us that do not have $100+ dollars to invest on a hand made holster.

Try to remember also that this is a community to encourage and support each other in exercising our 2A right. The criticism would be expected and appreciated on a holster makers forum. But this is a gentlemen who wanted to share his excitement about his idea of a holster that was hand made for him. For a weapon with very limited options. He may be of limited means or he may be very well off. But he is happy with what he purhased. And that is what I care about.

Last but not least. For those that do make holsters. How much would you charge to make a holster from a customers specs?

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum. Please don't take my above post the wrong way. I don't want to discourage you from making holsters and if anything I would like to encourage you to continue as I have always done with other members in the past. I'm certain that Red Nichols would also want you to continue making holsters. Certainly also I would never want a member to be dissatisfied with a holster purchase.
    Actually this portion or area of DefensiveCarry is the holster forum area of DefensiveCarry where members, makers, and any others weigh in and comment on holsters, holster design, holster care, holster materials, and discuss all things related to holsters in general.
    For sure you "got your start" making holsters because exactly what you wanted was not readily or commercially available. Many of the top leathercrafters got their respective "starts" in exactly the same way or for (pretty much) the same reason.
    I have absolutely no problem at all with your drive or your entrepreneurial spirit.
    I think that most of the "issues" in this thread stemmed for the comparison and being equal to Galco & Bianchi.
    And then naturally the guy that actually designed and prototyped many of the timeless holster designs used by Galco and Bianchi and many other big name makers might be expected to voice a modestly dissenting opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthegun View Post
    I am hesitant to post. But wanted to say. A seasoned veteran of leather work I am not. There is only so many ways to do something. In this case he knew what he wanted. And I made it for him. At $50 I think it is a good deal. Fault can be found in anything believe me I know.

When I started making holsters I wanted to provide a quality holster molded for one gun. I found that for the price I was willing to $50. There was not anything out there for me. So I started making holsters. I learn something with every holster I make. My goal will always be to provide an option for those of us that do not have $100+ dollars to invest on a hand made holster.

Try to remember also that this is a community to encourage and support each other in exercising our 2A right. The criticism would be expected and appreciated on a holster makers forum. But this is a gentlemen who wanted to share his excitement about his idea of a holster that was hand made for him. For a weapon with very limited options. He may be of limited means or he may be very well off. But he is happy with what he purchased. And that is what I care about.

Last but not least. For those that do make holsters. How much would you charge to make a holster from a customers specs?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links