Defensive Carry banner

Extreme DIY pocket holster

12K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  los 
#1 ·
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I made this. Not because it doesn't work, but because it's not conventional at all.

I dress for work every day in suits or at least khakis, and on the suit days I always take the jacket off as it's too hot otherwise. None of my carry options worked well enough for me to be comfortable with as concealment was of the utmost importance. So about a year ago I bought my LCP intending to pocket carry...let's just say that Mrs. 380ACP wasn't happy with that and I was pretty much barred from buying anything for it, including a nice pocket holster. Given the choice between sleeping on the couch for a month or not having a pocket holster, I chose the latter and got creative with stuff around the house. Recently, I bought a Taurus TCP (thankfully didn't get the same reaction, I think she wants the LCP) to replace the LCP, and found my homemade holster fit it, too. And seeing how it's held up for a year, I thought why not share it with you guys?

Here it is, with the Taurus TCP on the outward facing side:

If you think you're reading Texas Instruments...you're right. It's a financial calculator pouch that I haven't used since I graduated college. I found the LCP (and now, TCP) fit in it well and got to work.

All I did was make a few cuts to the vinyl material (strong vinyl too), slip in three thin but stiff pieces of solid cardboard cut to fit the pouch, and got to stitching. I stitched the outline of the gun (double and sometimes triple or quadruple stitched in high-stress areas) as well as around the outer edges of the cardboard, and pouch as a whole to make sure it held together for a couple of months until I could get away with buying a real pocket holster. Mrs. 380ACP rolled her eyes when she saw it but as I didn't spend any money or destroy anything of hers, she had no complaints.

Well, a couple of months went by, and I started trying real pocket holsters. The problem is, none of them had the level of concealment that this little franken-holster did. They didn't necessarily look like a gun...but in the thin and stretched fabric of suit and khaki pants they looked decidedly odd in the pocket...either a strange shape or it looked like I was carrying a book in my pocket. To the point where a co-worker asked "what you got there?". That got my attention in a hurry and I went back to my little oddball, without a single further question. This is what it looks like in my pocket:

And it doesn't even really print that much...as you can see in the picture I'm purposefully stretching the fabric to make it show a strong outline. It just looks like a calculator or a large PDA. Never got questioned about it.

Standing normally...

Fabric stretched tightly in cargo shorts.

I felt sure it wouldn't last this long, which is why I went searching for other options, but somehow it did anyway.

I guess as the saying goes, if it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid. The trigger is guarded as is the firearm itself, and it maintains an upright position and doesn't slide around in the holster. Getting it to come out with the holster still in the pocket was tricky at first (big advantage of a real pocket holster) but with practice I've found a method to keep the holster in the pocket when drawn.

Thoughts, comments, criticism? Anyone else got a weird self-made holster they're almost too embarrassed to share?

See less See more
Reactions: kmagnuss
#6 ·
Haha, thanks guys! Pretty is definitely not one of it's attributes, but function over form, right?

What I do is push down on the upper cardboard edge of the holster with my trigger finger while pulling the gun up with my thumb, ring, and pinky fingers. Once the holster begins to slip pocket friction takes care of the rest, and I can adjust my grip to firing position on the remainder of the draw. It did take some practice before I could do it quickly and easily, more than the actual commercial made pocket holsters I tried. But it is possible.

I don't know whether it's a good thing or not (and it's why I had to practice the above method) but the holster fit is tight enough when the gun is in that the holster can be held upside down with the gun in it, and it won't fall out. One of the pocket holsters I tried wasn't like that, and it was definitely one of the easiest draws.

I guess like with any other holster, it just takes practice...this one just took more.

#7 ·
it works and thats whats important.
a suggestion for keeping it in the pocket when drawing...as you may draw in a hurry and if your keeper finger slips--not good.

on the side that
goes toward your skin...put a couple of velcro strips, not the hook side, on it.
than as you draw, press the gun against your leg, the velcro will grab the fabric and help ensdure that the holster stays
when the gun leaves.
or wrap a couple of rubber bands around the middle of the holster. but they will likely show through light colored thin fabric.

#8 ·
You may try to sew or glue a couple of strips of the rubber shelf liner that is commonly available... Might just give it enough grip in your pocket to stay put.

Like this stuff. I have seen horse blankets for under a saddle that are made with the same stuff.

Amazon.com: Grip It Shelf and Drawer Liner Black: Home & Kitchen

#9 ·
You're in the same situation as I am in.

I use either the Desantis Superfly, or leather pocket holsters with an anti-print panel and a thumb push-off from Jim over at Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters.

I ran a LCP through a low light class last year, and used the pocket holster I bought from Jim. The thumb push-off gave me a very positive draw every time - the gun practically leaped into my hand.

While I appreciate your creativity, it sounds like your draw is more complicated than it needs to be.

#11 ·
Wow, thanks for the great comments and suggestions guys!

I looked around for some of the stuff a couple of you mentioned, and found some carpet backing...a lot like that shelf liner posted but perhaps even better as it's made to stick to and hold fabric. A few minutes and some stitching and trimming later and here's what I ended up with:

It's absolutely ugly as sin now...but just by grabbing the butt of the gun and pulling up the holster sticks in my pocket while the gun comes out without the need for any extra acrobatics, every single time. Man, I wish I'd thought of this a year ago. I appreciate your thoughts.

If this gives me trouble for any reason I'll be sure to have a look at your commercial holster suggestions, but for now I think we've got a winner.

#12 ·
Ha! Very creative!

My only question is this - can you get a firing grip on the gun, before removing it from the holster? The commercial pocket holsters I use have an anti-print panel, but it is hinged so that you can get a full firing grip before your draw.

If you cannot get a full grip, I'd suggest you look into one of the commercial holsters - or some more judicious sewing! :biggrin2:

#15 ·
Haha, thanks!

Ha! Very creative!

My only question is this - can you get a firing grip on the gun, before removing it from the holster? The commercial pocket holsters I use have an anti-print panel, but it is hinged so that you can get a full firing grip before your draw.

If you cannot get a full grip, I'd suggest you look into one of the commercial holsters - or some more judicious sewing! :biggrin2:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I still can't get a proper firing grip on it right away because of the 'anti-print panel' on mine, if you can call it that. I more or less have to adjust on the way up as before. I really like that hinge option, I'll have to check into that!

I have an idea that may allow proper firing grip on the draw...but it could also mess with printing and overall rigidity. I'll have to look into it more carefully.

I ended up adding more carpet backing on the other side just to make it even more grippy...at this point I can just have it resting on a piece of fabric and it's grippy enough to draw the gun, let alone resting in a pocket. But I can still hold it upside down and shake it, and the gun won't fall out. Neat!

#18 ·
Great job being creative and making what you had on hand work for you! At the same time though for under $20 you can buy a good off the shelf pocket holster or for under $40 you can get a great custom leather, molded to your gun pocket holster. If your the type that likes experimenting and figuring things out on your own, then more power to ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.