Kydex holster question*UPDATE*

This is a discussion on Kydex holster question*UPDATE* within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can kydex be reheated and reformed for a different pistol provided there's enough material to cover the other pistol? I've got one made for an ...

Thread: Kydex holster question*UPDATE*

Kydex holster question*UPDATE*

Can kydex be reheated and reformed for a different pistol provided there's enough material to cover the other pistol? I've got one made for an XDm that's too big for my Rami and I may try to reform it to the Rami. This would not be a wrap around job, but a piece attached to horsehide. Anybody ever tried this?

**Successful reheat and reform accomplished** I used the hair dryer, a towel and my hands. The Rami fits in the WhiteHat with good retention and the sight still has a channel to slide through. Yeeha, a "new" holster for free! See, even a preacher's kid can do it!
    Last edited by CZRex; May 19th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I have not tried placing the horsehide in the oven with the kydex but u certainly can reform hot kydex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it. I had an old Kholster for an XD that I reformed for a Glock 17. If you use an oven, be very careful, I would recommend using a heat gun.

ha, not putting the horsehide in the oven.

that's what I wanted to hear, FatPants......thx.

I remolded my Galco King Tuck for an M&P to fit my Kimber Pro Carry. A heat gun works best, but a hair dryer will do, just have to wait longer till it's hot enough. Takes some pushing and shoving, but it'll remold.

Heat gun and wear decent gloves. I do my final fitting with the heat gun. Even with gloves on it gets pretty warm. Be sure to put something on top of the slide to preserve the sight channel too. A couple of ballpoint pens taped side by side should be plenty. You don't want the kydex right on the slide because it will catch the front sight.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    The worst that could happen is that you could totally make a mess of it.

Links