Trouble using belt holster, any suggestions???

This is a discussion on Trouble using belt holster, any suggestions??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys, I recently bought a very nice slide guard holster from High Noon and carry two LC9s in them (and the holster is fitted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trouble using belt holster, any suggestions???

hey guys, I recently bought a very nice slide guard holster from High Noon and carry two LC9s in them (and the holster is fitted specifically for the LC9. The holster is great but it prints even with my t-shirts. I am approx. 5'8" and 250 pounds and can't figure out why it is printing so much. I am retired law enforcement and remember carrying my P239 Sig in a cheap belt carry and it never seemed to print.
    Any suggestions??
    I also have a nice SOB holster and though it has a deep cant and runs along my belt, it also sticks out too far on my back to conceal unless I am wearing at least a light jacket. As I do have a bit of a gut, I can slide it around to approx. 2 O'clock and it fits rather well and still allows a quick draw if needed.
    Again, any suggestions??
    I am sure this is common sense, though I haven't worn these type of holsters in several years and maybe I am missing something! Is everybody else have the same issue? I am just carrying the LC9s- I can't imagine somebody carrying a mid or full-size gun and trying to conceal it.
    Thanks for any suggestions!!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

What kind of belt are you using?

If it isn't a dedicated, purpose made gun-belt, that is usually a problem.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    First off make sure that you have a really stiff gun belt - that's most/very important. You might have to go shopping for a fresh belt.
    If your belt is not stiff enough then the belt is going to allow your slight bulge to push the firearm butt out and it will then print.
    Try a location slightly behind your hip. If a pant belt loop is in the way then don't skip that belt loop.
    Play Musical Loops and thread your belt through the one holster loop first & then through the pant loop and then through the second holster loop.
    Then shop for some slightly more oversize T-Shirts in darker colors. Usually the higher quality heavy weight Cotton T-shirts work best.
    And then finally - worry about it less because 99% of the general population isn't going to look there anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If a pant belt loop is in the way then don't skip that belt loop.
    Play Musical Loops and thread your belt through the one holster loop first & then through the pant loop and then through the second holster loop.
    This was my first thought too. Solid advice for OWB belt holsters.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Can you snap some pics of your rig both concealed and not so we can help better?

Try running your belt on the outside of the holster and see if it pulls it in tighter. I used to do that with a pancake style holster and it worked really good at pulling it into the body. ymmv

You might try wearing looser shirts. Seriously - go up one size from your normal shirt size and see if that makes a difference.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

What NCWRay said! I've done that and it brought it in tighter.

For us chubby guys, it's hard to find a good fit. The best conceal I have found is using an inside waist-band holster (IWB) at the 4-5 O'Clock position. You will have to go with next size or two up on clothing or just wear a tee-shirt along with a loose fitting button up shirt-unbuttoned and untucked. Whenever you bend over, make sure to squat straight up/down or it will print.
    Wide guns are harder to hide. A 1911A-1 can be carried small of the back easy as well. OSS invented the shoestring holster many years ago. Tie a shoe string together and slip the loop up under your belt and holding both loops, put the gun in it and tuck inside the waist. It rides well there and doesn't print. A good wide stiff belt will help, but if you crank it down too tight, you are going to leave a gun bruise imprint in you side as well....

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    hey guys, I recently bought a very nice slide guard holster from High Noon and carry two LC9s in them (and the holster is fitted specifically for the LC9. The holster is great but it prints even with my t-shirts. I am approx. 5'8" and 250 pounds and can't figure out why it is printing so much. I am retired law enforcement and remember carrying my P239 Sig in a cheap belt carry and it never seemed to print.
    Any suggestions??
    I also have a nice SOB holster and though it has a deep cant and runs along my belt, it also sticks out too far on my back to conceal unless I am wearing at least a light jacket. As I do have a bit of a gut, I can slide it around to approx. 2 O'clock and it fits rather well and still allows a quick draw if needed.
    Again, any suggestions??
    I am sure this is common sense, though I haven't worn these type of holsters in several years and maybe I am missing something! Is everybody else have the same issue? I am just carrying the LC9s- I can't imagine somebody carrying a mid or full-size gun and trying to conceal it.
    I'll be as kind as I can be. Your problem is your 5' 8" and 250 pounds. Nothing is going to conceal well on your waistline. Sorry
    wmhawth and SIGguy229 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My Glock-36 is in an OWB holster using the 'Musical Loops' method...works just fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

is the weight.I am 5'11''and 230lbs now but 2yrs ago I was 268lbs. every 5lbs I loose my guns carry so much better. I am now useing holsters that never seemed to work well. some holsters I was going to sell at 260+lbs are now my favorite carry holsters. I have had to sell my gun belts cause they were to big. I still need to loose 20lbs but will buy a new wilderness at 220. the weight really makes a difference on how well the gun carries. I was having the same problem carrying and now regret selling some of my quality holsters. now I have no problem carrying my 1911 or my glocks on my waist.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I'll be as kind as I can be. Your problem is your 5' 8" and 250 pounds. Nothing is going to conceal well on your waistline. Sorry
    Ouch! You didn't try hard enough!
    That would explain some of the problems with carrying at approx. 4' O-clock but not the SOB. I haven't been able to make that conceal either and that doesn't have anything to do with the weight issue.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! Trying some new ideas!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    Any suggestions??
    Again, any suggestions??
    What you can and can't imagine for for somebody else is mute. You carry for yourself. Everyone else? Not important. Belt holster......you sure this is the way you need to carry? I will reiterate my sermon on concealed carry......it should change your life and everything you do if you want to carry all of the time. Many times it's not an easy ordeal. Many times it's not accepted, but still necessary. No matter what your height, weight, width, girth or shape, there is a way to do everything you want to do with concealing a handgun, and doing it well. Clothing is one of the important aspects........do you or will you wear cargo pants? Do you really need a firm support system for your pistol? Pocket carry? Appendix carry? Options? Your physique is never a drawback in any way. There will be pros and cons, but there will never be "cant's". Any can't won't do because that translates into a not willing to do. There's you, your equipment, and your ideals. The open minded never cease to come up with options. Your terms are "belt holster". Any time you define your terms, you limit yourself. Maybe start thinking outside the box and "belt holsters" and better means will show themselves? I wish some of you folks would come spend a week with me in an informal environment. Many folks pay good money to go to a formal training institute to use a weapon, but those schools don't teach the best way to conceal. IMO......those formal schools miss the point...the basics. Your mind is the best weapon available......why not use it to your advantage from the start? Limit yourself, and you'll be limited in what you can do. Maybe one day I'll start my own school...............for those who don't think anything's possible. I have a dream............

At 5'9" and about 190 I wear larger shirts (XL) untucked, covering my OWB glock 19 and have not been spotted. Sometimes I get a little apprehensive when I bend or squat right in front of someone but so far there has been no discovery of my concealment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links