Leather beltslide M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Leather beltslide M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I managed to get my hands on a blue gun from a LGS. He's been nice enough to loan it to me a couple times ...

I managed to get my hands on a blue gun from a LGS. He's been nice enough to loan it to me a couple times to make some holsters. I've been doing the hybrid beltslides mostly. But I decided to do a leather one as well. This is my fourth all leather holster.

This holster is vinegroon black. It's an old school treatment that turns the leather black as opposed to dying the surface black. Hand stitched, 1/4" spacing, waxed thread. Burnished interior. But I have some leather on order to do some lined interiors.

My first vinegroon holster did not mold the way I wanted it to. Just not as sharp. I vinegrooned it first, then molded. This one I molded first. The process makes the leather a bit more difficult to work with once it dries. And I had let the last holster completely dry before molding. I'm much happier with this one. Let me know what you think. After some of the recent thread I may get some spirited criticism.

Probably the best edge on the holster.

Not so nice edge. My dremel broke and I tried to sub a corded drill for it. Just not the same. I thought I had the edges a bit more even. I had to work really hard to get the gap out in some areas. I really want a drill press with a sanding drum. It's on the short list of goodies I want to get.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I think you did a great job. No criticism here, I sure couldn't do it!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

FDE
    Looks good for only your fourth (all leather)! As for the sanding might I suggest checking out a spindle sander. I'm not sure how well it would work for your application but I have this one:
    Oscillating Spindle Sander at Menards
    and it works great for wood working. Definately not as versital as a drill press but probably cheaper. Just an idea... ;)

FDE, that's the idea. They make spindles you can chuck into a drill press too. That was my thought. Going to try getting away from hand sanding and using that little dremel sanding drum.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Links