Defensive Carry banner

New to handguns and looking to CC

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  chiefjason 
#1 ·
Hello members of defensive carry.com! I turned 21 last week, and the long awaited journey of purchasing a handgun has finally been completed.

Being a criminal justice major in college, and wanting to become a law enforcement officer upon graduation, I wanted a handgun that would be similar to the guns I will be using in the academy, and carrying while on duty. With this in mind I also wanted a handgun that would be relatively easy to conceal. I managed to pick up a very lightly used Smith and Wesson M&P 40C with a Crimson Trace laser grip for $550.

I've been shooting for over a decade now, but this has been my first handgun. I sent in for my conceal carry permit about three weeks ago now, and will be taking a conceal carry handgun class this Sunday, so that timing works out perfectly.

I'd like to find a IWB holster that will allow me to easily conceal my M&P 40C. I'm a 6 foot tall lefty that weights 160 pounds, so finding a holster that wont print might be a challenge.

I've been looking at High Noon Holsters, particularly because they are inexpensive, and come in left handed models.

I've been researching Hidden Ally W/Clip: High Noon Holsters

and

Bare Asset: High Noon Holsters

I'd love to hear any information on either of these two holsters, or any other holster for a thin lefty.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can say (first hand) that the quality of the High Noon holsters is excellent. The stitching is beautifully done. The color is even and very nice. The boning to the firearm is flawless. The leather is TOP quality and I couldn't find a single thing wrong with the fit or the final finish. Exceptional workmanship. :yup:
A new High Noon may be initially tight but, that is a good thing with regard to leather holsters. So you may need to do the "wax paper" or "plastic bag" thing in order to attain an initial smooth draw.
My personal opinion is that you could carry quite confidently in any one of their holsters in general.

If you're a Lefty then check their special offers because they often have Left Hand models listed there.

#3 ·
I like your choice of handgun,I have a S&W M&P 40 and I really like it.Actually,haven't seen too many guns I don't like,but anyway,don't care too much for a laser on a carry gun. They have their place, good on the range,for practicing fundamentals etc. But In my humble opinion, learning to get a good fast flash site picture in a defensive situation is faster. Watching and getting that dang light where you want it,too slow. But, you can always turn it off and use your sights. And don't forget to look at the glocks if you want too shoot what alot of police shoot. Glock21,45.Glad to hear that your taking cc classes. Learn the laws of the state you live in,follow them,be careful,and remember,you represent a very large important segment of our society, the whole cc community. People will watch and listen to you and judge us all by your actions and words. Be discreet,stay off the radar,you only make yourself a target. Welcome, and here's hoping that you represent us well.:wave:

#5 ·
Sorry I'm confused, you sent in the application but haven't taken the class yet? Did you take a different gun safety class already?

Also, M&Ps are wonderful guns. I have the full size 9mm.

#8 ·
QKShooter- I'll definitely be buying a High Noon holster based on your recommendation and the recommendation of others. Thanks for the advice.

RayBar - I almost never have the laser on while firing the gun. I think it's a neat little feature, but like you said, it would be faster to use iron sites.

Burns - I've taken a couple different gun safety classes already. I live in an area where devensive carry classes are only offered once a month, and this is the earliest i could take it.

Thanks for the information on the holsters and the warm welcomes guys.

#9 ·
While I agree high noon makes great quality holsters (I have a few) I would urge you to check into the hybrid kydex with leather backing type holsters. My favorite are crossbreed holsters but others like Comp-tac make similar designs. These IWB holsters spread the weight out better and concealed easier for me. YMMV

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum. Finding something won't be to hard. I carry a fullsize 1911 IWB & I'm 5'6 145 lbs.

#13 ·

Have you thought about AIWB?

#15 ·
I've found that behind the hip bone 8-8:30 works the best for me. I also prefer 25° of forward cant in my holster's.

#17 ·
The Fist holsters are fairly good. I've had many of them and really like the durable construction and value. Worth considering.

Welcome to DC. :smile:

#18 ·
The Fist #19 holster I have for my Beretta PX4 Storm SV use thick leather. I don't like it, squeezed together it's pretty close to 1/4 inch thick and that's as thick as my dual leather gunbelt. If you plan on carring IWB, thin leather would be better if your carring an already thick gun.

#19 ·
UBG Holsters, make some of the best holsters n belts i have had the opportunity to own, wait time is short, and quality is superb.....

#21 ·
I'm 6'1" and about 210. My best CC position is about 4:00 behind the right hip bone. Over the hip is noticeable. But behind the hip pretty much disappears. I'm carrying a G19 in either an OWB or IWB tuckable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.