Shoulder holsters... Who uses them?

This is a discussion on Shoulder holsters... Who uses them? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I live in a very warm climate I've never considered a shoulder holster... How many actually use them and could one really even be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Shoulder holsters... Who uses them?

Shoulder holsters... Who uses them?

As I live in a very warm climate I've never considered a shoulder holster... How many actually use them and could one really even be employed in 90+ F heat? It's my impression that shoulder holsters are more movie props than legit carry method... am I wrong?

2. Remove Ads

I have two in my holster box and, just like my two ankle holsters in the same box, they're more attractive in theory than in practice. In their defense, however; my first was for a 4" revolver (impractical) and the second was a cheap nylon model.

Maybe a better rig for a more appropriate gun would be worthwhile......

I carry with a shoulder holster all the time. With the proper cover it's not a problem even in the Florida heat. For maximum comfort you need a good adjustable rig.

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    not in a long time
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I have 3 nice leather ones and one nylon for my pistols. I only use them when I have an over garment such as a jacket in cold weather but they wear good....summertime it's either in a front pocket or IWB carry....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    I donít use them very often any more but when I was flying in the military I used one all the time. I carried a S&W Model 10 or 15 in a Safariland Model 15 holster under my green bag (military flight suit). Great holster that is no longer made but worked well in weather ranging from -60 to 100+ F. I do occasionally use one on long road trips carrying either a Colt DS or S&W Model 15.

P1010188.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I use one, but only every once and awhile....either when driving long trips (like msgt/ret) or when it's cooler and with a cover shirt/jacket. It's been on horseback and ATV's trailriden' as well.

.... and doodle you'll appreicate this...... the two identical sholder rigs I own, I 'approiated' from the torpedomen's trash one duty night in Pearl. Our CO at the time hated them and told the TM's to get rid of em'. That was 22 years ago.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Yes they are excellent holsters when seated or driving....they are I think the best holster for hiking too.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I have yet to buy one, but I have tried them on and can see the advantage in cooler weather. But for me, and my home state (like yours, 90-100 degrees from May till October) it is impractical.

VIP Member
    I have 2 shoulder rigs. They are great for driving or cooler weather.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a Miami Classic for my XD, I knew I didn't "need" it but I bought it anyways. I've worn it a handful of times, one notable day was when I was in my truck driving a good distance and the shoulder rig made it much more comfortable than IWB at 3:30. It was also winter so I had a fleece lined flannel as the cover garment which worked great. Summer time I don't think I'd even attempt it, it just wouldn't work with my average build...a couple of bulges in my armpits would definitely raise questions.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have one nylon rig with two different holsters- so I can switch between the one for my 1911 and the one for my .357 snubbie. It's pretty comfortable, and is amazing when driving.

I typically wear a white t-shirt with an overshirt- either a polo or on rare occasions, a full button shirt that I don't bother buttoning or tucking in. And, this usually works great here in SC.

Admittedly, it does work MUCH better in the winter since you can wear a coat over it/over your cover garment, but it works alright in the summer as well. I think a good leather one would work much better, especially one that isn't made to hook onto your belt, but definitely look into one for taking long trips with. That way you don't have to be concerned with 'legal in the glovebox??' questions.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I have one, and I used it a lot in the winter when I lived in the mountains and wore a flannel cover shirt of jacket a lot. Now living in Florida, I haven't used it since I moved.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I paid good money for one that now sits in my FL closet...does that count?
    I wouldn't buy another...to many other options that work in the heat.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have a Miami classic for my P229. After some issue's at first I've come to like it as a alternate to my usual SOB carry.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links