A vintage leather work of art for my 1911

This is a discussion on A vintage leather work of art for my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's something you handmade leather and traditional gun fans may enjoy. Living in Alabama where OC is legal, I occasionally choose to do so. When ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A vintage leather work of art for my 1911

Here's something you handmade leather and traditional gun fans may enjoy. Living in Alabama where OC is legal, I occasionally choose to do so. When I do, I particularly enjoy doing so with my Colt 1911 and this beautiful handmade vintage leather holster that belonged to my late grandfather.

I know very little about it other than it has the name "Hunter" embossed on the snaps and stamped into the rear of the holster. Knowing my grandfather, he likely purchased this holster in the late 1940s to carry his Colt 1911 on base while he was stationed in various places (he was an Air Force Colonel in WWII). My memories are of it sitting in the display case with his handguns as he had long been retired once I came around.

The detail work in the leather is amazing...even more so knowing that it was more than likely all done by hand.

As you can see in the above pictures it's just a little long for my commander length 1911...it's made for a government model...but my commander still fits very well.

His initials, "LJB", can still be seen written into the back of the belt loop. The wear of the letters wasn't done by my usage, so it shows that he carried his Colt in this holster frequently.

Hope you enjoyed this family heirloom and a glimpse into the past of leather holstermaking.
    NH_Esau, RMS, gasmitty and 3 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have a black Hunter holster that I used to carry an N frame S&W model 28 in years ago. It was smooth leather without the engraving but it had the same stamping and the straps like yours. I retired the 28 to my safe and still have the holster in one of my holster boxes somewhere.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

That. Is. Nice!

Thanx for sharing that bit of family history as much as the pics of that wonderful holster.
    I rather like the idea it's beingt worn, used, and respected rather than sitting somewhere gathering dust.
    380ACP and RichB70 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    That deserves to be framed when you are not wearing it, beautiful holster.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Great example of the leather crafters art. Beautiful holster. Congrat's

Thanks guys, I love wearing this old holster. When I'm not, it sits on display with my other items of historical interest...most of which were also my grandfather's before they came into my possession.
    goldshellback likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Administrator
    Believe it or not HUNTER Holsters is still around. They have been making holsters for probably about 70 years.
    Not sure if they are still offering or selling hand tooled holsters anymore though.

Now that's pretty! Both the leather and the gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Classic!!! Looks like the one my Dad made for his 44 magnum in the 70s. He still has the gun and holster both.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Leather 'eye candy' with 'family memories' attached...niiiiiiiice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks again guys! It's cool to know that Hunter holsters is still around, I'll have to check them out sometime just to see what they are making these days.

sgb
    The sentimental value alone makes it priceless.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Bearing in mind that Hunter is/was the Kia of holsters, I had that very holster (floral Hunter) for my own Commander when I was a teen. Security guard; badge, gun, uniform, Berkeley riots. What were they thinking?
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Man that's a gorgeous holster that i wouldn't want to wear. Box it up and pass her down

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links