Custom Makers' opinions on Galco SkyOps 'Y' clip?

Custom Makers' opinions on Galco SkyOps 'Y' clip?

This is a discussion on Custom Makers' opinions on Galco SkyOps 'Y' clip? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in Florida presents all sorts of challenges with concealed carry (like you don't already know that). I've been experimenting with a couple different mass-produced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Makers' opinions on Galco SkyOps 'Y' clip?

Want Custom Holster, but like Galco SkyOps 'Y' clip

Living in Florida presents all sorts of challenges with concealed carry (like you don't already know that). I've been experimenting with a couple different mass-produced holsters before I up an order a custom holster. The two holsters I've been using predominantly are the Galco SkyOps and the Don Hume PCCH. My primary carry is a Beretta Mini-Cougar 9mm. My secondary is a Beretta Cougar L.

The first holster I bought is the SkyOps. The main reason for this one was that it was a tuckable holster and that was the #1 thing I thought I needed at the time. I have only a couple issues with this holster, but my favorite part is the 'Y' clip. For me, there is only a slight drawback to this clip, in that it sits in the outer-most position of the pistol/holster when worn. Otherwise, I love it, as stays in place on my belt with no shifting unless I want it to. The problems I have with the holster are that there is no sweat guard and the opening is not reinforced whatsoever. Lastly, Galco doesn't make the SkyOps for the Beretta Cougar, so I'm using the model for the H&K P2000 and USP Compact. The fit isn't completely sloppy, but it's certainly not the proper fit. The low positioning in my beltline ensures it's not going anywhere, unless I hang upside down.

The second holster I bought (DH PCCH) was meant to resolve the issues I have with the SkyOps (reinforced opening, sweat guard, pistol fit), but I find that it sits much too high in my waistband for me and I find myself using the SkyOps more often unless I'm wearing something other than a T-Shirt. I'm also not real happy with the loops. Noone sees them since it's not a tuckable, but they are very long and will probably accomodate a 1" belt. I'm used to a 1" belt and the holster can shift and dive when I move.

So getting to the reason for my post. I know it's a patented item, so they couldn't copy it, but have any of the custom makers had a good look at the Y clip and how it works? Also, since Galco won't do a custom holster, would any of you be willing to experiment a little? I almost feel that if I could put the SkyOps 'Y' clip on the PCCH so that it rode lower in my beltline, it would be perfect. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'd also like to see a magazine holder on the leading face of the holster :)
    Last edited by Beretta1526; September 13th, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

Here are some photos:

1) The sweat guard will cover this very sharp corner on the slide:

2) This shows how low the pistol sits in the holster as well as relative position of the 'Y' clip, notice the lack of sweat guard exposing the slide

3) This shows the SkyOps and PCCH together, and how much higher the PCCH holstered pistol sits

Also note in the above photo that much less of the pistol is covered by the holster. I prefer the holster to parly cover the safety lever like the SkyOps.

4) Last, but not least, this shows how high the holster sits in relation to each other. The white cord is where the top of the waistline is on whatever garment you are wearing:

Last edited by Beretta1526; September 12th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well in theory its a great low risk concealment design. Not much to get peoples attention. The problem as I see it is: The clip only fits 1 1/4" belts and not a very thick one at that. It doesnt offer much in the way of stability of carry. Unless they have changed it from the ones I saw...I believe there are better designs out there.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Senior Moderator
    Well said Eric, I learned some time ago about stability of carry. Anybody can make a holster attach somewhere on a belt; keeping it there without it sliding and esp. rotating must be a bit more difficult.

I have solved the problem of carrying in Florida. It is called the Brommeland Max Con V and a good gun belt. I carry my Ultra sized Kimber all day wearing shorts and a t shirt with that rig comfortably. Get rid of the Galco and Don Hume and try a holster by one of these guys that you are asking advise from and you will have the problem solved as well.

Well...Ill give you my opinion on a mag holster on the gun holster. Sounds like a nice tidy little package...everything in its place and close.

Now, you actually have to use your gun...god forbid. You are shooting at a BG and your mag runs out. Now your gun is in your strong hand, empty, and your mag is where? Oh ya...in your strong side holster.
    So how do I get my mag??????

Sorry bout the drawn out saga, but its for a good point. We never recommend you put the mag on the same side your gun is carried on.
    Mags are for where you free hand is......mag runs empty, bam, new mag inserted and ready to rock.

Shoot well and god bless

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I have solved the problem of carrying in Florida. It is called the Brommeland Max Con V and a good gun belt. I carry my Ultra sized Kimber all day wearing shorts and a t shirt with that rig comfortably. Get rid of the Galco and Don Hume and try a holster by one of these guys that you are asking advise from and you will have the problem solved as well.
    I do believe you have solved the problem and that's a really nice lookin' rig. I 'm considering getting one for myself.

Senior Moderator
    Eric,

That Sky Ops looks like the type you tuck your shirt over so nothing shows at all????

I've tried one of those (different brand) and while they work, I found it to be a BIG hassle to get "installed" just right. Then if you go to the restroom and have to drop your pants, you have to go through all the hassle of getting everything right again.

Well...yes...this is on the extreme end of tuckability and concealment. But with such little contact with the belt...its hard on the belt, lacks stability and is a PITA to get just right...Like you state.

The question or situation most people face when wearing a tuckable holster isnt will I be made? If all of the "STD" precautions are taken any compitent design will work the same for you. That includes, wearing the right shirt/pants for your environment, the right holster and gun combo in the right location, blousing your shirt to hide the guns outline and the belt attachment and moving the right way so as to not be "made.

I make two levels of tuckable holsters...one is the Com 3 which has two loops and you can only tuck the shirt in around it about 1". The other style is the GS/Pro Tuckables with one loop/clip and you can tuck your shirt down a good 2-3" around the gun. The thing is both work very well as long as you follow the guidelines.

The real benefit to the SkyOps is less belt attachment is available to the public eye.....IMO, if you follow the rules given above that isnt an issue anyway. Other designs with a single snap loop on a matching belt and a properly bloused shirt will conceal as good as anything on the market.

Just my opinion......The SkyOps is a good holster if your situation fits all of the criteria that you need to make it work properly.

Shoot well and god bless

Senior Moderator
    Eric,

Can you post a link to pics of the two tuckables you mentioned? I'd like to see them.

What are your thoughts on guns, brands & models, that are more suitable to this type of carry?

Maybe we should start another thread...kinda taken this one over and I feel bad about it. Sound good?????

In closing, the Galco Sky Ops is a good holster if it works for you. Thats all that matters for any holster when it comes down to it.

Shoot well and god bless.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Maybe we should start another thread...kinda taken this one over and I feel bad about it. Sound good?????...

Shoot well and god bless.
    You or me? Start a new thread that is?

Jimmy....yep, had them before. The problem with the little J hook is there is nothing to keep it on the belt.

The nature of moving/bending and just being active really dictates that you have a solid attachment point to the belt. You really need to have a belt/holster combination that doesnt rely on anything else to either add or detract from its performance. Hope that makes sense.

Pants move to easily and this style of hook is good for short term carry but mine would come unhooked after a very short amount of time. Again...my experience with them. And it may differ from alot of other peoples.

Shoot well and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    Maybe we should start another thread...kinda taken this one over and I feel bad about it. Sound good?????

In closing, the Galco Sky Ops is a good holster if it works for you. Thats all that matters for any holster when it comes down to it.
    Don't feel bad, any and all information is good and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. The SkyOps is decent if you get one for a good price (retail is way too much for it, IMO). There really are only the three things I like about the holster, and that's the fact that it sits very low in the belt, it covers a good portion of the pistol (other than a sweat guard), and the clip (for me) works out nicely. I've carried with it and have worn my regular shorts, loose shorts, jeans, chinos, and full-on dress pants. I haven't had any issues with it shifting position, even diving. Maybe I'm just lucky or my body type is such that it doesn't allow it?

I also appreciate the advise regarding the spare mag. A great deal of my carry time is dress or business casual. Both of which lend themselves to a 1" belt and the Y-hook. The 3:00 position also allows me to sit just about anywhere without pressure on the pistol. I've put a mag holder just in front of the holster a couple times and was satisfied with it. At that position, do you think it's advisable?

I suppose if my holster were a better design, I'd be more inclined to carry at 4:00 - 5:00 and I wouldn't really want it to sit too low in my belt, no? It would also force me to find a new location for the spare mag too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links