low rider

This is a discussion on low rider within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in people's opinion on how low the pistol should ride in their waistbands...I like to wear IWB strong side about 11:00 (just ...

Thread: low rider

low rider

I am interested in people's opinion on how low the pistol should ride in their waistbands...I like to wear IWB strong side about 11:00 (just in front of the right hip, but sometimes I like to wear it lower & more in the 9:00 & 10:00 position, which is about 3 inches from my belly button (in my opinion prints less when sitting low on the belt)...I just purchased a TSAC from Bulman's (a clip-on type holster) & I love the craftmanship & everything but it seems to ride a little high on the belt especially in the 9:00 & 10:00 position & after many looks in the mirror, feel like it prints too much...it doesnt print as much & feels more comfortable (especially sitting down) in the 11:00 position since the gun hugs the rounded countours of my right hip...it seems that if the holster was designed to ride a little lower that it wouldnt print as much in all the positions I like to carry in...but then isnt it better to ride just in the middle so you have enough room to grab the handle for the draw?...I noticed also that if I tighten the belt that's supposed to go over it real tight in the 11:00 position, it lessens the printing even more...

2. Remove Ads

It All Depends...

on the shape of one's body. I have been working hard at getting in shape...round is a shape, isn't it?
    I think people have to experiment and figure out what works best them.
    I wear most weapons above the hip...either 3:30 or 5:30. If I go lower, I have to worry about keeping my pants on...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    on the shape of one's body. I have been working hard at getting in shape...round is a shape, isn't it?
    I think people have to experiment and figure out what works best them.
    I wear most weapons above the hip...either 3:30 or 5:30. If I go lower, I have to worry about keeping my pants on...

ret
    Personally, I have the body of a god ... it just happens to be Buddah .
    Seriously, along with body type the particular weapon you're carrying plays a large part in where you'll have to position it for the most comfort and concealability - I prefer my J-frame to ride higher than my 1911, it gets the cylinder out from under the belt (thanks Eric!).

Also, the J-frame isn't as "location critical" for comfort OR concealability - it can ride further toward 4:00 to 5:00 with little to no problem. The 1911 feels and conceals best at about 3:15 or so with the rear sight about 1/2" behind the seam of my jeans. Being that it's also a longer/fullsize gun, if it rides too high I have to draw into my armpit to clear leather but too low and it feels like my pants are falling off.

I've never personally cared for "appendix carry" but that's just me. I find it's much easier for me to conceal in the hollow of my hip.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Alot depends on what holster and what body you are using. i find my 1911 rides best right at 9 oclock(LH shooter) ,while my USP rides better about 8 oclock.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ive had alot of requests for such a holster. The head of the NYPD Swat dept came up with this one....its called the NY Pro.
    Quite a few makers can help you out with such a design. Hope you find something that works for you.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Links