Defensive Carry banner

Question about IWB Holster for a 6 o'clock carry

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Richard58 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a right handed IWB holster and have been trying to figure out a way to carry along my back (6 o'clock). It feels like a left handed IWB holster would work better in this location. Does anybody have thoughts on this? I read an article or a post somewhere saying you shouldn't do this because you would have to rotate the gun as you draw but it just seems like it would be easier to draw this way.

#2 ·
The type of holster made for this is called an SOB, or small-of-back holster. Of all the places to carry one around the waist, this is the one I least recommend for a few reasons:
It is not possible for the wearer to see the holster, thus making it difficult to ensure concealment.
It is the position in which the pistol is most vulnerable to and difficult to defend against a hostile gun grab.
It is worthless for driving, and only slightly less than worthless while sitting.
It places the handgun next to the spine, a bad place to have it in the event of a fall or impact.

#4 ·
I have to agree with the other posters, what might work for Mel Gibson in lethal weapon (he jumps, lands on cars with it in the small of his back w/o a holster at all) is not good in real life. the loss of control if someone was standing behind you and grabbed it, you would have no defense to fight the grab off with the angle and leave your arm in a vulnerable position

#5 ·
all the above is proper; add that it is slow to present from; it is more difficult to access with the weak hand;
a long barrel may cause people behind you to notice your behind when seated or bending ( though one should bend at the knees to minimize printing anyways)

it has its uses for those on the move all day...guarding another for instance

some of the newer p938's, solo, shield micro guns do lend themselves to SOB carry as a backup or deep concealment gun
works best if you dress with it--suit jacket or longish overcoat.

the breaker though is injury from a fall and as sgb points out--sweeping when drawing

#6 ·
Great points everybody, thanks for the responses. Never really thought about this method being 1) harder to conceal and 2) harder to defend from hostile gun grabs. Now I'm looking hard at a supertuck or kingtuk.

Mike1956, sorry I wasn't very clear with my intial post, it's my understanding the SOB holster are designed to be belted on (I guess that how to describe it) and I was trying to avoid that by using the IWB holster that would use a C clip. My fault for not really explaining my though process.

#8 ·
SOB refers to the position in which the holster is located, not how it is secured. I'm not a fan of the hybrid, either, but believe you would be much more content going that route.

#7 ·
this is the beauty of a web site like this, you can bounce an Idea of the wall and see what sticks... good luck and those are good choices of holsters to try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.