Learning About Shoulder Holster Carry

This is a discussion on Learning About Shoulder Holster Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After seeking out a lot of opinions, and watching the budget, I finally popped for a shoulder holster. I bought an Aker Flatsider XR7 from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After seeking out a lot of opinions, and watching the budget, I finally popped for a shoulder holster.

I bought an Aker Flatsider XR7 from Galls--$114.99 ($127.98 with shipping). Very fast service.

I've never carried with a shoulder holster, and am starting to get used to it already. It has taken a lot of tweaking of all the adjustments to get both sides where I want them...setting the holster and mag pouch far back conceals them best, but if too far back, when sitting in the car they press on the seat back.

Now, I think I have it all dialed in and it's pretty comfortable, to the point that I can forget I'm wearing it.

The next step is learning what garments this will work with, and starting to decide when I'll wear the rig. As it cooled off today, I wore a microfiber (Twins!) windshirt, a v-neck pullover type of garment. It was baggy enough that it worked great. Not so with a sweatshirt I have that is not as baggy in the midsection. I'm sure that my winter coats will work out, but have doubts about less bulky fleece jackets and the like; I've got to begin to dig out my winter garb to be sure.

When I bought this rig, I planned on wearing it around in the winter when I wouldn't be shedding my jacket or coat. The other application is when I'm driving...don't know how I'll cover it in warm weather--I've not attempted a vest or similar wear yet, so don't know if that's an answer.

I like that I have a total of 42 rounds of ammo on board when I both the pistol and mags are loaded up. In terms of weight, it turns out that things are pretty balanced, with the mag pouch side being lighter by about 4.5 ounces. So, the weight seems equally balanced on the shoulders. I'm sure a larger pistol would tip the scale further out of balance, since I'm carrying a Glock 26 that weighs in at just under 26 ounces, loaded. An old Army attitude makes me feel good when I have abundant ammo and water....heh.

Not posing any specific questions, just reporting on this product, which I think so far is a good value, and looking for any shoulder carry tips you have to pass along.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 13th, 2006 at 12:03 AM.

I learned about shoulder holster carry long ago with a Dan Wesson 4" .357 revolver which I carried under a dark sportcoat winter (more woolies) and summer (less woolies) in a Bianchi spring-front no-positive- retention rig. What I learned was if you did not secure this particular gun just right and forget you were wearing it it would jump out of the holster and head for the deck in Mongomery Wards leaving me in a juggling contest with a loaded gun in front of a crowd of horrified Christmas shoppers. I got it back about a foot off the floor, stood up, reholstered, mustered all the dignity I could considering the circumstances and left with also horrified wife in trail to shop somewhere else. A few years later, Montgomery Wards went out of business and a few years after that, the mall was razed. But that might have been Home Depot's doing, not mine.

LTPhoon, I'm not wanting to go through the same thing! The holster I bought, unlike any of the ones I wear on my hip, has a thumb break. So, the pistol won't be flying around the retail floor.

I did find that Galco's newest model of their Miami Classic, called the "Miami Classic II", has the mags slid horizontally into the a double mag pouch, without any retention strap. While I like that idea for access, I did have visions of a mag slipping out and dropping on the floor as I was enjoying shrimp cocktail at a holiday reception, or similar nightmare...I know if it were to ever fall out, it would be in front of a large audience...Murphy's Law.

Oh, yeah...

...you can count on Murphy, all right!

Administrator
    Shoulder Carry...sure works for me most of the time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

[QUOTEAs it cooled off today, I wore a microfiber (Twins!) windshirt, a v-neck pullover type of garment. [/QUOTE]

OH NO!!!!!! I'm a Tigers fan.....

I think their collapse will be complete in a few days though, and you guys will get the Central.

I'd love to go shoulder holster but I have upper neck problems and I don't think I can handle the firearm weight on my neck.

Panthera Tigris, sorry to take this off topic, but I'm agreeing that the Twins could sneak into first this month. Ironic, but being a Michigander for most of my life, an MSU grad and all those roots, I just became an official Twins fan this year!

Our starting pitching is a bit weak after being so outstanding with both Santana and Liriano; the loss of Liriano and Radke for the season has forced AAA pitchers Bonser and Garza to be called up to fill in. We have a resilient and talented defense and a punchy hitting attack--our Piranhas rule!

To make a comment on topic...I have been wearing the shoulder holster as much as I can this past week. I'm finding that it's a bit difficult to conceal, given my ample body, but it is quite comfortable.

It can ride up toward the neck and produce some discomfort, and I don't know how to prevent that...have wondered if there's some "non slip" material to put on the straps to keep them in place, kind of like that foam-like stuff on shoulder straps for computer cases and other small luggage items. I may just look into such a possibility.

Comments from other "shoulder holsterers" appreciated.

Slightly off-topic, but in reference to secure retention...

If, by chance, your firearm does drop free and heads for the floor... LET IT FALL! There have been many, many AD's/ND's caused by someone trying to catch a falling pistol, and catching it in such a way that the trigger is pulled...

Quote Originally Posted by ceetee View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but in reference to secure retention...

If, by chance, your firearm does drop free and heads for the floor... LET IT FALL! There have been many, many AD's/ND's caused by someone trying to catch a falling pistol, and catching it in such a way that the trigger is pulled...
    +1! I still have nightmares...

I have upper back/neck problems, so I don't think I'll be able to wear a shoulder holster. (We beat the crap out of the White Sox just now, btw), but it's a shame, because I think the shoulder method would suit me the most.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthera Tigris View Post
    I have upper back/neck problems, so I don't think I'll be able to wear a shoulder holster. (We beat the crap out of the White Sox just now, btw), but it's a shame, because I think the shoulder method would suit me the most.
    Check out some of the holster makers and ask for wide shoulder straps, and weigh your pistol with it loaded. Then you want enough weight on the other side to balance it out. Think about a light weight polymer framed pistol. My neck and back is shot also, but as long as I'm balanced out it not bad.

Panthera Tigris...we can't lose on the Tige/Sox series...if you win we pull further ahead in the wild card race, if the Sox win we move closer to winning the Division.

We just have to win the Boston and Baltimore series! I'm taking my grandaughter to her first major league game on Saturday the 30th, our greatest rivalry, the White Sox! It will be the key series of the year.

As long as the Yankees don't win the Series, I'm happy. I'm also happy whenever Boston doesn't make it. I don't like either one of those teams. So if we fall (and we fell big tonight), I'll be pulling for the Twins especially if they come up against the Yankees.

I'll look into the wide straps. My only two carry guns are a Taurus 24/7 9mm and a Taurus 650 5 shot .357. Money is very tight, so any other guns are out of the picture. I have to make do with these two.

Ahhhh, we are within half a game of the Motor City Kitties...tomorrow we pull even, and then....

And then, the Tigers get serious and the Twins settle for the wild card!

It's been a great season for Detroit no matter what, given their last several seasons.

And then there's my #1 team, the Cubs.....(Tigers are #2)....

I wonder if any of their players wear shoulder holsters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links