Holster/leather care product

This is a discussion on Holster/leather care product within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for recommendations for a good product to treat/maintain my leather holster collection. The stuff that I have been using just ran out and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MNBurl
  • 1 Post By mdmorgan
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Holster/leather care product

Question Holster/leather care product

I'm looking for recommendations for a good product to treat/maintain my leather holster collection. The stuff that I have been using just ran out and I've been using it for years and I can't find it anywhere.

I bought some Kiwi Saddle Soap that "cleans softens and preserves" Is this stuff any good? Any reason not to use it?

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Fiebing and Lexol are pretty popular name brands for good leather care products. Springfield Leather carries plenty of their stuff. Check Tractor Supply if you have one local. They carry it for use on saddles.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Kiwi is very good. Coach is a very well known manufacturer of leather goods. I use their products. Here is a link that may provide some insight Product Information, Product Care, Leather Cleaner from Coach
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Lexol ! ! ! One time I had a WWII bayonet with leather scabbard, leather was so old it tore like paper. Several LIGHT coats of Lexol made it good again!
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

Don't use either product on a structured/formed holster. It will turn the holster into mush.

Talk to the holster maker on what to do with their holsters.
    sgb and Rock and Glock like this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Don't use either product on a structured/formed holster. It will turn the holster into mush.

Talk to the holster maker on what to do with their holsters.
    What he said. You don't want anything to soften the leather. Kiwi is good, but just use regular neutral shoe polish.
    sgb likes this.

Cool

The stuff NOT to use on any good leather holsters that you do not want to destroy, are Neatsfoot Oil, Mink Oil, Basbball glove conditioner, etc. As these products will change the color of the leather, & make it, to Soft & pliable,which will destroy the leather holster for good. Use Kiwi or any other Neutral brand shoe wax that can be bought in any Dollar Store. using a clean lint free cloth ( like an old tee shirt ) apply it to the holster inside & outside let it dry a few min. & then with another lint free cloth buff it off. this done every once in a while to all of your good leather holsters, Belts etc. will keep them looking new like the day that you bought them for good. I received this tip from Andy A. of Horseshoe leather years ago. & some of my leather holsters are approaching 25+ yrs old or more, And still look as good as new. using the wax on the inside of the holsters, will not harm the guns at all either.

I use Tantex leather conditioner on my US issue holsters as well as on western type holsters and belts.
    It is non greasy and keeps the leather as fresh and supple as new.Amazon.com: Tantex Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner 8oz: Automotive

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY View Post
    The stuff NOT to use on any good leather holsters that you do not want to destroy, are Neatsfoot Oil, Mink Oil, Basbball glove conditioner, etc. As these products will change the color of the leather, & make it, to Soft & pliable,which will destroy the leather holster for good. Use Kiwi or any other Neutral brand shoe wax that can be bought in any Dollar Store. using a clean lint free cloth ( like an old tee shirt ) apply it to the holster inside & outside let it dry a few min. & then with another lint free cloth buff it off. this done every once in a while to all of your good leather holsters, Belts etc. will keep them looking new like the day that you bought them for good. I received this tip from Andy A. of Horseshoe leather years ago. & some of my leather holsters are approaching 25+ yrs old or more, And still look as good as new. using the wax on the inside of the holsters, will not harm the guns at all either.
    Every gunman will have his own strong feelings about leather finishes, but few will have actually tried then all. The above advice is good, but bear in mind that most of the brown holsters you've ever handled were originally coloured with neatsfoot oil compound. In my experience there is a product that is without parallel for restoring the LOOKS of a tan or black holster: Fiebings Harness Dressing, readily available in the U.S. (but not available here in Oz). Harness dressing is applied very wet using a sheepswool pad and rubbed in continously until the finish starts to dry up; then vigorously rubbed with a second, clean sheepswool pad until the leather shines. Let it dry for hours (or use a hair dryer), then follow up with clear spray on a tan holster, or black colouring spray for a black one (with black stitching), both of which you can buy from your local shoe repair. This is the process a major maker used for to produce millions of holsters during the 70s and 80s. Lexol is generally avoided for its lacquer-like buildup.

The result made my tan, basketweave 1940s Berns-Martin forward draw and its matching belt look new. I'll look through my files and see if I have a pic.

You holster is already sealed so just use a small amount of saddle soap from time to time. You know, your own skin oil will shine it up also. The oil from your forehead and hands will work wonders on a small holster.

I use Fiebings Harness Dressing on on leather rifle scabbards. It gives then a rich, flat color.
    check this page out Leather Balm :: Leather Finish :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products

Administrator
    Absolutely 100% SAFE product for any holster no matter what finish was originally used on it.

Renaissance Wax. Search Ebay for it. I use it at the museum all the time.

Buy the smallest size. A tiny bit goes a LONG way.
    sgb likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Absolutely 100% SAFE product for any holster no matter what finish was originally used on it.

Good stuff
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Good old Johnsons Past Wax-any Ace Hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Going to look into that, I honestly have no experience with leather maintenance, sounds like a good place to start.

Honestly shoe polish to repair scuffs and shine is the most my holsters ever see.

I have many old holsters that saw daily service in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. None of these have ever received wax, conditioners, or oils of any kind. They are just as supple and strong as the holsters I've bought in the past couple of years. The only difference between the two is that my old holsters no longer smell like 'leather', they just have a neutral smell.

I strongly recommend against any conditioners or oils as these will work to soften the leather. Soft leather is the last thing you want in a carry holster. Save the conditioners and oils for your car seats. I prefer Zaino leather in a bottle for such applications.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Links