how do you keep a leather holster from squeaking

This is a discussion on how do you keep a leather holster from squeaking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gotta speed scabbard to how do I keep it quiet?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MNBurl

Thread: how do you keep a leather holster from squeaking

how do you keep a leather holster from squeaking

Gotta speed scabbard to how do I keep it quiet?

2. Remove Ads

A little talc or baby powder in the areas rubbing (squeaking) generally does it.
    sgb likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

A good coating of silicone leather treatment.

-john

Kiwi Neutral shoe wax period.

cool thanks

sgb
    Another vote for Talc
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Talc, definitely.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Talc or wax on the belt contact points work well but lots of wear will get rid of the squeak quicker than you think!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Quote Originally Posted by TXOutfitter View Post
    Talc or wax on the belt contact points work well but lots of wear will get rid of the squeak quicker than you think!
    Oh, that answers my question, which was "What makes it squeak?" My paddle holster doesn't make a peep and I don't see how it could, but the problem is with belts. I chose paddle for the ease of on and off and don't regret it, even though if a giant picked me up by the ankles and shook me I might lose both the gun and the holster.

There are some squeaks from leather holsters that are caused by the interface with a leather belt, but some are caused by the holster itself. When you stitch two pieces of leather together and do not completely cover the contacting surfaces with adhesive first, those two pieces can squeak and creak like nobodies business. Some makers only glue on the stitch line, they seem to be the offenders. I have had 3 Milt Sparks holsters and all three of them squeaked so loud I got rid of them. I have had 10 holsters from Gary Brommeland, and not one of them has ever uttered a word. YMMV.

VIP Member
    Once broke in should be quiet. Watch those contact points and make sure to have the holster set up properly on you. I had this problem a few weeks ago, I found out that the new Blackhawk pants had belt loops in different postions and my holster was forward a bit more usual and it creeeeeked.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    There are some squeaks from leather holsters that are caused by the interface with a leather belt, but some are caused by the holster itself. When you stitch two pieces of leather together and do not completely cover the contacting surfaces with adhesive first, those two pieces can squeak and creak like nobodies business. Some makers only glue on the stitch line, they seem to be the offenders. I have had 3 Milt Sparks holsters and all three of them squeaked so loud I got rid of them. I have had 10 holsters from Gary Brommeland, and not one of them has ever uttered a word. YMMV.
    I agree.....I have TT Gunleather for all of my carry pistols....both IWB and OWB.....and none of them squeak, nor have they ever squeaked even when brand new. All of the holsters that I've owned that squeaked were simply much lesser quality. I learned a long time ago, being in the Hunting & Fishing Industry, quality equipment is worth much more than what you pay for it......especially after you've had to replace it time and time again!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Links