Belt for Kydex 'pancake' holsters

This is a discussion on Belt for Kydex 'pancake' holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I just bought my first pistol, a Glock 17, and will be getting my CCW permit. I have been researching holster options, and ...

Thread: Belt for Kydex 'pancake' holsters

Hi all. I just bought my first pistol, a Glock 17, and will be getting my CCW permit. I have been researching holster options, and right now it looks like the Shielded Holster Adarga is the one I want to try. I want it for its advertised OWB/IWB use. Until I get my CCW permit, I’d use it OWB for at the range and on my property (I might even try a Steel Challenge match). I’ve tried my Glock 17 (without a holster) IWB with one of my untucked t-shirts, and I believe I will be able to conceal it with a holster with the right cant and position (roughly 4 o’clock) on my hip.

My question is for those that have and use a similar Kydex ‘pancake’ style holster worn OWB. Will a good, stiff leather gun belt work with these holsters? What I mean is will the belt ‘thread’ through the loops and around the gun easily and snug the holster close to the body? Or will a ‘tactical’ nylon type belt be better?

Kevin

I'm not real familiar with that holster but it is simular to mine and mine don't play well with my thick leather belt from A&G Custom Leather. It works perfect with the Wilderness 5-Stitch though.
    Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

Booger, that's what I kinda figured. I'll probably look to get this belt: Double Duty TDU Belt 1.5" | Tactical Belts | 5.11 Tactical

I know most folks get the 5.11 Trainer or Operator belts (or the Wilderness as you mentioned), but the 5.11 Double-Duty should work for me and my wallet.

Kevin

I wear kydex pancake owb on leather belt daily. Sometimes it will squeak (leather to kydex) but just treat the leather with some lexol, neetsfoot, mink oil or other leather treatment product. Better quality belts are not as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I wear kydex pancake owb on leather belt daily. Sometimes it will squeak (leather to kydex) but just treat the leather with some lexol, neetsfoot, mink oil or other leather treatment product. Better quality belts are not as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What type belt are you wearing? When you say better quality belts is there a certain one. I don't think you get much better than A&G but I may be wrong. It is a double layer bullhide belt. The problem with REAL gun belts made of leather is that they are super stiff and don't want to bend to fit the Kydex belt loops. I like my leather but when using Kydex I find a Quality Nylon gun belt works better.
    Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

I have a cheaper one, I don't recall the brand. I'm sure A&G will be very good quality.

I prefer the Nylon "tacticool" belts. Just dont be the guy that wears the belt with the carabiner loop all that extra goofiness on the front. A simple-buckled nylon belt is fine. I like the infinite adjustability. The pre drilled holes in a leather belt dont give me the adjustability I want. My holsters all wear slightly differently, making me have a slightly tighter/looser belt than with a different holster. It's my opinion. Either will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Just dont be the guy that wears the belt with the carabiner loop all that extra goofiness on the front. A simple-buckled nylon belt is fine. I like the infinite adjustability.
    lol. Folks that know me know that I'd be the last guy to 'accessorize' myself with that type of stuff on my belt. I'm very plain, don't like drawing attention to myself at all. The infinite adjustability would be a big plus for me. Gander Mountain has the 5.11 Double Duty belts online and hopefully they'll have them at the store the next time I'm there so I can look them over.

Kevin

^ Yeah I always chuckle when I see those guys. Especially the guys that are a hundred or so pounds overweight, in the frozen section of Wal Mart. "So, do you find it to be a reasonable assumption that you may have to tactically rappell out of the TV dinner section? No? Ok, get a simpler belt" LOL Mall Ninja's

I have a beltman belt I have been wearing daily for 6 years really love it. So I wanted to get a new belt just to have something different so I bounty a wilderness 5 stich its OK but I really don't like Velcro on the tag end.so I was still looking around and found Ares gear I got the enhanced ranger belt. Should be here in a month looks really cool

I have a beltman belt I have been wearing daily for 6 years really love it. So I wanted to get a new belt just to have something different so I bounty a wilderness 5 stich its OK but I really don't like Velcro on the tag end.so I was still looking around and found Ares gear I got the enhanced ranger belt. Should be here in a month looks really cool

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    ^ Yeah I always chuckle when I see those guys. Especially the guys that are a hundred or so pounds overweight, in the frozen section of Wal Mart.
    Around here we call those guys cops.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishing View Post
    Looks like a well made belt, and most likely worth the cost, but it's outta my league money wise.

Kevin

Take a look at Boxer Tactical they are made 100% USA and a good price. Take a look on youtube there is a video about them. I use a 5.11 double duty belt with my kydex because of the squeak. Till I got my boxer tact. belt. Check them out

Links