Carrying at Home

Carrying at Home

This is a discussion on Carrying at Home within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody! Allow me introduce myself a little bit: I'm Jonas, I live in Belgium and I'm a recreational shooter. Gun laws are very strict ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying at Home

Carrying at Home

Hi everybody!

Allow me introduce myself a little bit: I'm Jonas, I live in Belgium and I'm a recreational shooter. Gun laws are very strict here and carrying a gun is totally out of the question. Some of you might ask: then why are you on a forum like this? Well, although I'm not allowed to carry in public, I am allowed to do so on my own property, as long as the gun in concealed. This is what I'm planning on doing. We had an intruder a few year back and I'm not risking the safety of my family again. I'm planning on carring my Glock 17 on my body where I'm allowed to do so. I'm not sure what to choose as a carry option tough. I own a beautiful Remora holster which I like a lot, but IWB holsters aren't really practical at home. As my occupation relates to computers, I'm mostly seated during the day.

To keep it short, I'll just list the things to keep in mind
    • Nobody should ever notice I'm carrying
    • The holster should be comfortable when wearing it while seated
    • I'm frequently wearing a suit, and always wearing my shirt tucked in my pants

I was thinking about a shoulder holster, as this doesn't causes too much trouble when behind a computer. I suppose it's also easy to conceal when wearing a jacket? I have never carried a gun before, so I'm hoping for some advice from the experienced people on this forum.

PS: English isn't my native tongue, so I hope I didn't make too much mistakes.

Welcome to the forum from Virginia.
    Jownaz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    How about an ankle holster. Your choice for carry is quite large if you want complete concealment without IWB holster. Try crossbreed super tuck. Works well with suits. I would go to the G26 still 9mm but easier to conceal.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I'm not certain you could successfully conceal a G17 in a trim-cut European suit, without leaving a noticeable bulge. Maybe something like a Galco Cover-Six cross draw holster? I'd think this would rate pretty high in the comfort-while-seated category
    Galco Cover Six Cross Draw Holster.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    How about an ankle holster. Your choice for carry is quite large if you want complete concealment without IWB holster. Try crossbreed super tuck. Works well with suits. I would go to the G26 still 9mm but easier to conceal.
    An ankle holster is definitely an option too, especially for a gun like a G26. But will it work with a full size auto? I'm currently looking around for a smaller, more concealable gun. Unfortunately it takes (at least) 6 months to get a permit here, so I want something for the 17 in the meantime.

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Seriously though, you wear a suit around the house? My wife is usually proud of me when I don't go to the mailbox in my boxers.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jownaz View Post
    An ankle holster is definitely an option too, especially for a gun like a G26. But will it work with a full size auto? I'm currently looking around for a smaller, more concealable gun. Unfortunately it takes (at least) 6 months to get a permit here, so I want something for the 17 in the meantime.
    You could go with the G19, I would not carry a full size auto in an ankle holster. Check out some of the tuckable holsters from Crossbreed and others. Why are you ruling out inside the waistband? Another option would Sig Sauer.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    I'm not certain you could successfully conceal a G17 in a trim-cut European suit, without leaving a noticeable bulge. Maybe something like a Galco Cover-Six cross draw holster? I'd think this would rate pretty high in the comfort-while-seated category
    Thanks Nick, I'll look into that one! I know about the suit problem... If it only shows a little bulge, that wouldn't be such a big deal. Most people around here wouldn't even think about it being a gun. But the less it shows, the better ;)

It just depends on when I change :-) When I'm wearing just a shirt and jeans for instance, I could easily put on a blazer to go to the mailbox, that's about the same situation as if I'm in a suit.

sgb
    My suggestion is for a good quality strong side belt scabbard with a stiff quality gun belt. It'll ride close, be comfortable and disappear under a sport or suit coat. Here's one I made for a friend of mine.

rdpG19 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Easy, get a Smartcarry.

No special gun belt or attire needed, 100% concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    You could go with the G19, I would not carry a full size auto in an ankle holster. Check out some of the tuckable holsters from Crossbreed and others. Why are you ruling out inside the waistband? Another option would Sig Sauer.
    I'm not ruling it out! It was just a thought from my experience with the Remora, which is of course only one type op IWB. A tuckable holster seems nice too, as I'm not required to put on my jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    My suggestion is for a good quality strong side belt scabbard with a stiff quality gun belt. It'll ride close, be comfortable and disappear under a sport or suit coat. Here's one I made for a friend of mine.
    That looks great! A gun belt is also something I'm definitely getting myself.
    (I'm not sure if it's allowed to link to shops, but anyone knows one with quality material and the possibility to ship internationally?)

Thanks for the replies so far! It seems there are way more options than I expected!

sgb
    Jownaz likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Welcome from Pennsylvania. I have a G 19 in my rotation. Have you considered on of the shirt holsters, kangaroo, or belly band style holsters?

I admire your desire and drive to protect your family!

Mike
    Jownaz likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Welcome from North Carolina!

Like Mike suggested, what about a t-shirt holster:
    pgroup_7802_image_260_shadow.jpg

Or something like this:

This belt is demonstrated fitting into the Strut. The Strut is actually worn inside the waistband (IWB). The pressure from the belt combined with this innovative Cross Draw design eliminates the need for belt loops or special clips and makes it easy to put on and take off.

The other video on their website shows the holster better, but its five minutes or so.

Stealth Defense Strut Holsters - YouTube

Concealed Holsters for Compact Handguns

Here's another.
    --Jason--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links