Bodyguard 380 and DeSantis IWB holster

This is a discussion on Bodyguard 380 and DeSantis IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a DeSantis IWB holster for my S&W Bodyguard 380. It's a large leather panel with molded Kydex piece attachedand 2 belt clips. ...

I just bought a DeSantis IWB holster for my S&W Bodyguard 380. It's a large leather panel with molded Kydex piece attachedand 2 belt clips. The problem is the fit. Its awfully loose. Its too late to return it and I'd hate to lose out on the money.

I know finding a 'great' holster that you're 100% happy with is a crap shoot, and I, like most I've talked to, amass a box full of holsters they didn't like or don't use in the pursuit of the perfect holster.

My questions is whether or not anyone has experience with this particular brand and if anyone has any tricks to make it fit tighter. I haven't seen a lot of options out there for the S&W Bodyguard 380 and would prefer to 'fix it' than buy a new one.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Is it loose when you're wearing it? A lot of IWB holsters rely on the tightness/pressure of the belt for retention.

If it's kydex, you can warm it up with a blow dryer, with the unloaded bodyguard in it. Use a wooden spoon to press the kydex to better conform to the gun.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

yeah, its loose when I wear it. when not wearing it, I can turn it upside down, give it a little shake and the weapon will fall out. I like the idea of the hair dryer. I think I'll give it a try. I think its the indentation around the trigger guard that adds the retention so maybe I'll start there. Good tip oakchas. Thank you.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

I pocket carry my Bodyguard in a Mika holster. I also carry an XD sub in a Remora, I will eventually get one of these for the Bodyguard. (not too expensive either). Not sure about the looseness you are experiencing, if it is the kydex I am certain you could heat it and try molding it better. If it is the holster on your side, you might need to invest in a good gun belt.

Heat it up carefully with a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting with the UNLOADED gun in it. Try to force the kydex in more at the ejection port or front of the trigger guard. You DO NOT want the trigger showing in the mold. You don't want tension on the trigger when you are holstering. The ejection port and front of trigger guard are where most of the retention is. If it's over all too loose you may be able to force the edges down closer to the leather. Make sure you maintain your sight channel too. Tape a pencil to the top of the slide if you want. I have a trick to get retention in my hybrid holsters to keep them from being sloppy loose. I bet I know what they are doing and why it's loose.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Wait, is it loose when the holster is in your pants with a belt on, or just holding it in your hands? This type of holster gets a lot of retention from the pressure of the belt and your body.

The hairdryer tip worked great. I heated it and pressed in on the indentation that already existed in front of the trigger and made it a little deeper.It fits perfectly. Great retention with no trigger interference.
    Thanks very much for all the tips. One of those things when I say "why didn't I think of that"

Glad it worked. Until you buy a few or make a few you just don't think about those things.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links