IWB or OWB?

IWB or OWB?

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you prefer and why? I currently have a IWB but itís not as comfortable as a OWB would be. But I like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB or OWB?

IWB or OWB?

What do you prefer and why? I currently have a IWB but itís not as comfortable as a OWB would be. But I like the concealment of the IWB.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

You said it yourself, "I like the concealment of the IWB". Comfort I find depends largely on the gun you are carrying. My primary is a Kahr P9 which is designed for CC and works very well. I carry all day long and don't even know it is there on my hip. When I carry my Springfield 1911 it is much less comfortable due mainly to it's weight.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    I am strictly OWB and cannot get on with IWB - despite age am still a bit boney in hips and IWB just sucks for me!

I am lucky tho with day to day life that I can cover OWB easily - plus carrying most of day open anyways around home.

I do think the body shape matters too with what works or doesn't. See this thread from earlier in the year - where I use body types as examples to illustrate this -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6794
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

los
    I carried full size and compact 1911s utilizing OWB for most of my CC life. I tried to carry IWB utilizing a VMII, but like Chris, I just couldn't get used to this method.

I now carry Seecamps exclusively, so it's pocket carry for me from now on.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'm at the other end of the carry spectrum from P95Carry. I LIKE IWB! With the right rig and the right person it works well. I carry a 1911 Commander all day in complete comfort. Ditto for my 638 snubbie in an IWB. The cover is great and it works out well for me. However I might feel very different with a poor fitting rig!

It's a very individual thing.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

everyday carry IWB; hunting-OWB 44 mag, sholder holster 1911.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Your gonna get as many opinions as you do replies. No IWB isnt as comfortable as OWB, never will be. But it can be damn close :D
    shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I'm fulltime IWB, primarily with my 1911. It's just easier to conceal and I'm not as worried about my cover garment riding up if I have to reach up for something. With a good belt and holster comfort level is pretty close to OWB.
    Jack

IWB can be more comfortable than OWB, depending on the holsters in question. I've got 3 different holsters, and the custom IWB is far more comfortable than either of the mass-market OWB's. I think the keys are a wide leather back with a sweatshield to distribute the pressure and protect you from sharp poky bits and attachment points that are offset and fairly wide. The Tucker Answer, Brommeland MaxConV, and whatever is in Eric Larson's avatar all look like good candidates.

If there's a forum specific to your gun, see what people there like. I'm not likely to go back to a mass market holster except as a temporary while I wait for a custom to be made for a new gun.

I just received a Kramer Scabbard (Owb) for my newly acquired Glock 30. So I put it on over a baggy t-shirt and found that it just printed too much. So I put my Commander on with Alessi PCH (Iwb), and it just dissappeared. I buy a OWB and IWB holster for every larger gun I own. I find that what works has a lot to do with body style. For example, someone with broad shoulders and skinny waist has a better time concealing carrying OWB than the opposite. Unfortunately, I have a tough time concealing OWB under a t-shirt due to my love handles. I find that OWB only works for me when I am wearing additional clothing such as jacket, sweatshirt, etc. A top-notch belt and holster can make IWB carry almost as comfortable as OWB. Waiting on a Max-Con for my G30.

Only IWB...

for me...sometimes SOB (but that's been several other threads). The IWB can be extremely comfortable and, I beleive, more secure. I've had some Galco OWB's and for a competitive situation it can work well. I do not really like the feel of the OWB and in hot Florida weather it is hard to hide. I think that if Florida ever allowed 'open carry', perhaps more individuals would try OWB...just not for me!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wear IWB almost all the time. Reasonably comfortable even with the 1911 I carry. On occasion I'll wear OWB in the winter when wearing a coat. For me good concealment is a primary concern.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Mostly IWB w/ a vertical OWB mag pouch (sometimes I use a horizontal mag pouch, but not often). I do have OWB comp-tac paddles for the occasional time out where I will always be wearing not just cover shirt, but a "fluffy" jacket.

For all those that choose IWB for concealment to not show the gun below the beltline, how do you carry your spare mag? If the mag pouch is OWB, then you still are losing some concealability due to the bottom of the mag pouch sticking out. For me, my cover garment is long enough to cover the mag pouch when my arms are extended. More than enough for the IWB gun, but barely enough for the mag pouch.

tnoisaw said:
    What do you prefer and why?
    The quesion is really what do you prefer and why. Give OWB a try, or perhaps different IWB holsters to figure it out.

Over the past year or so I've learned that other's opinions about comfort are pretty much useless to me, since they are all relative to body type and personal preference, even perception of comfort. On other matters, opinions are very valuable, but if your focusing on just comfort, listen mostly to yourself, not others.

Perhaps listening to others preferences will give you some ideas, so there's some value to that, but there's no substitute for personal experience to determine comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    tnoisaw said:
    The quesion is really what do you prefer and why. Give OWB a try, or perhaps different IWB holsters to figure it out.

Over the past year or so I've learned that other's opinions about comfort are pretty much useless to me, since they are all relative to body type and personal preference, even perception of comfort. On other matters, opinions are very valuable, but if your focusing on just comfort, listen mostly to yourself, not others.

Perhaps listening to others preferences will give you some ideas, so there's some value to that, but there's no substitute for personal experience to determine comfort.
    Your right but I think getting the opinion of others who have carried longer than I (3 days) is valuable. Nothing like experiance.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links