CT Grips on 1911...Do I need a Custom cut Holster??

This is a discussion on CT Grips on 1911...Do I need a Custom cut Holster?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a Sig 1911 C3 with the Crimson Trace grips. Need an IWB holster for this model and I'm wondering if I'm going to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ttsail

Thread: CT Grips on 1911...Do I need a Custom cut Holster??

CT Grips on 1911...Do I need a Custom cut Holster??

Just bought a Sig 1911 C3 with the Crimson Trace grips.

Need an IWB holster for this model and I'm wondering if I'm going to need something cut special for those CT grips.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

That would depend on the maker. Most IWB holsters ride low enough that something would have to be done to accommodate the grips, either a cut or a recess molded into the leather.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    YES!! it will fit better into the holster. Just let the holster maker know!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

So if I want to buy "off the rack", I'll be modifying it myself.

Bummer

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've got CT grips for my Colt Combat Commander and it fits just fine in my MS VMII holster. Nothing special had to be done to accommodate.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

My 1911 with CT fits the same holsters as my 1911s without CT. I do not remember all the 1911 holster I have and I am at work. The 1911 holster I use the most are the DeSanis Cozy Partner and a couple of Fist.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    it basicaly depends on how deep the 1911 sits in the holster. My Crossbreed supertuck does not extend up on the pistol, so no need for modification. However, both my Kramer pancake (OWB) and my all-leather IWB Gallery « Desbiens Gun Leather allow the pistol to sit deeper into the holster (or, if you prefer, the leather holster extends up hihger on the pistol) so the modification allows the pistol to fit better. Also, many leather IWB holsters feature a reinforced "mouth" to keep the "mouth" open when the pistol is drawn--so the weight of the belt pressing against the now-empty holster won't collaspe the mouth, in that case, if the pistol rides deep in the hoslter, the CT laser mount may be harder to get into the mouth of the holster.

If you go to Debesians gallery (link above), go down to the 20th row of pictures, my holster is the middle picture, brown horsehide and beavertail trim--if you click on the picture and look closely, you can see the slight bulge made for the CT grips (not my pistol in the "gallery" photo).......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have a Colt Commander with CT Grips. It fits my VM2 beautifully (I did let them know in advance) and it fits my DM Bullard Dual Carry (I did not let him know in advance).

The DM BUllard Dual Carry is for sale if it will fit yours (Designed for commander length) ... List price is $100. I will sell for $65 shipped. Will throw in the black leather belt loop system (list $30) for an extra $20. Will throw in Kydex tuckable j-clips for $15 (list for $20).
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thanks guys.

Both those holsters look very nice and I must admit, the Bullard is a heck of a deal, but to be honest, I was leaning towards a VMII or if I could find one, with out the wait, a MaxCon V.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Thanks guys.

Both those holsters look very nice and I must admit, the Bullard is a heck of a deal, but to be honest, I was leaning towards a VMII or if I could find one, with out the wait, a MaxCon V.
    I got my VMII on gunbroker.com from an authorized dealer. Got it in about a week rather than the 4-6 months from the makers. It's a great holster so you won't regret it, even if you have to wait a few months.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

What do you know I just found a Brommeland source with 3 in stock that will fit my new Sig C3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Thanks guys.

I got one of my VM2s at Top Gun Supply:

VM2 1911 HOLSTERS - Top Gun Supply

It is more expensive than ordering from Sparks & you need to be on top of checking to see when they are in, but if you dont want to wait...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Links