backpacking and holsters

This is a discussion on backpacking and holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have a problem. As I was packing my backpack for a 3 day trip into the moutains I realized that I don't have ...

Thread: backpacking and holsters

backpacking and holsters

OK, I have a problem. As I was packing my backpack for a 3 day trip into the moutains I realized that I don't have a place to place my gun so that it is accessible. If I put it in a waistband holster (IWB or OWB) it will be covered by my backpack belt (not sure what that thing is called but it goes around your waist to transfer some of the weight to the waist) and the weapon would be inaccessible. If I put it in a shoulder holster it will also be inaccessible.

The requirements for the holster are as follows: invisible to others and accessible. At the moment I would be carrying a tactical XD .45 and down the road probably a 4" or smaller wheel gun. So..... what are my options? Has anyone ran into similar problem before?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Sounds like Fanny Pack to the rescue. Or some kind of pouch that can be added to the strap you mentioned that goes around your waist. Other than that, would have to be a lowride type of holster on your leg and a long coat.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I've thought about this too. You may have to find something to attach to your hip belt to carry your gun. Shoulder holster maybe?

I use to carry a .44 when I lived in Alaska and backpacked. I wore it on my hip with another belt but it was not very comfortable.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Invisable yet accessable ?? Seems as though it would have to be in a pocket of some sort. Either that or disguised as something else(probably still in a pocket).

I know that this probably wont help as it is HIGHLY VISABLE but........I have modified several holsters so that I can slip them on my sternum strap. They hang down between my breast line and the top of my belt. They also swivel so that I can rotate them for easy right hand,cross chest draw. This system will go onto my Alice pack(LC1), civie pack,or simply my Camel Back.

This might give you some ideas even if it wont work for you. -------

I used to have a thumb break holster attached to the inside of the top flap of my backpack. It was oriented so that I reached behind my head, under the flap and had my hand on it. Worked well for me.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Survival Sheath

I've got a chest holster from survival sheath that would be excellent for this situation. I use the grip down method. Try this link. Click the pistol icon and then scroll down to chest holster.
    www.survivalsheath.com
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Try the Safe Packer. IIRC, it was conceived and made by a climber and should work for your purposes.

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pro...products_id/18

A Wilderness Safepacker can be attached to your backpack belt as mentioned above. I occasionally use one while hiking, but also use it in my car. See additional link: http://dillonprecision.com/template/...8&min=0&dyn=1&
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

You may want to try one of Mchales camera pockets that attaches to a pack belt I have one and it works great to carry a revolver mchalespacks.com

Lead Moderator
    Or a Strider chest rig. Flat panel pouch that holds a holster and other items.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    For weight and convenience I just use an inexpensive nylon holster that I can strap to my pack belt with a nylon strap. I can also slide it on my belt around camp.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks guys!
    So far Safepacker looks like a winner. Gonna have to look into getting one.

I use my Safepacker all the time. If you use it on a pack that has a narrow strap it may slide around, it dose on my Camel pack. You can use the Fastex buckle that loops back the loose strap end. I don't remember the name of the part. Just run revers the orientation so the center hump of the fastener is facing your body. That way the Safepacker will catch between the strap, and the fastener. No more sliding.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links