REVIEW: Joab horizontal Magazine Pouch by Dale Fricke

This is a discussion on REVIEW: Joab horizontal Magazine Pouch by Dale Fricke within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry an M&P Shield, and when I was looking for a mag pouch I decided against one in a vertical position because I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: REVIEW: Joab horizontal Magazine Pouch by Dale Fricke

I carry an M&P Shield, and when I was looking for a mag pouch I decided against one in a vertical position because I have a "little more to love" around my midsection. Looking online for some horizontal mag pouches, I only found some full concealment velcro types - I really wanted a kydex one. Enter Dale Fricke and his Joab Mag Pouches. After having a question about how much of the magazine would be uncovered to aid in easy mag extraction answered quickly via e-mail, I placed my order and 4 days later it arrived.

First Impressions

When the package arrived, this is everything that was in the box:

I was a little surprised to see another big thing in the box, and it turned out it was a Bible. Now, you have to understand that Dale Fricke names all his products after names in the Bible, so this was pretty fitting, although highly surprising.

Fit and finish were great, and it held my 8 round mag well, although there is a retention screw that you can adjust to your liking. I snugged it down a little bit as I want to have to give a thoughtful tug on it to get the mag out. I went with the Left Hand Carry, Right Hand Operator and Bullets Up options, and bullets up gave me the

Final Impressions

After wearing the Joab mag pouch for a few days, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Carrying another magazine doesn't have to be something you fight with, like I thought it was going to be.
    2. A horizontal mag pouch really is comfortable, and in the position I carry it's surprising that it's so comfortable and unnoticeable.
    3. Having never carried a spare mag before, it took some time trying different positions and draws to see what I liked, and I settled on the position shown in the picture below. The way I carry it now, the motion I make is as if I was reaching for my belt buckle to adjust my pants, so it's a very natural motion.

In conclusion, I have to recommend this mag pouch to anyone looking for a comfortable and discreet way to carry another magazine. For $40 dollars plus shipping, I think it was a pretty good value. Mr. Fricke can also custom make a holster to your needs, for example, if you want a mag pouch and a flashlight holster, he can do that, or a mag pouch / knife combo he can do that as well.

Bought from Dale Fricke Holsters

Thanks for reading!
    Spovik, aus71383 and Phaedrus like this.

How is it when sitting?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I don't even feel it there. The most i have ever noticed it, it felt just like my belt buckle when I was sitting in a funny position.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Agreed. I carry my secondary mag for my g17 in a Joab.

dan

P95
    Nice looking pouch....although I think it needs to be a bit longer to accommodate the magazine better.

I was worried about that also when I first got it because I was used to seeing mag pouches that covered almost the entire magazine. The adjustable retention screw got rid of those worries. The way I have it set up only a thoughtful grab and pull on it will take the mag out.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    I was worried about that also when I first got it because I was used to seeing mag pouches that covered almost the entire magazine. The adjustable retention screw got rid of those worries. The way I have it set up only a thoughtful grab and pull on it will take the mag out.
    That's great...I use Kydex a lot...just may make me one. Thanks for the review.

I wish I was handy enough to make my own holsters and gear! Good luck with making one!
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

The Fricke Horizontal Mag Pouch is a very well thought out piece of Kydex. I've been wearing Dale's holsters and mag pouches since 2007. Very comfortable and very concealable. I have about 3 or 4 of them for different guns. Dale's customer services skills are second to none, and one extremely nice guy.
    pattywak and Drgnfly like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

OP, that looks like a great piece of gear. Lucky you.

I'm going to purchase a few for myself. Thank you for the thread.

Stay safe.

Another proud supporter of Dale here. I started with his purpose-made Ehud for AIWB about 2007 and a vertical mag pouch.

I'm currently using two of his Archangel holsters for AIWB carry.

I was a little reluctant to go to the horizontal carry, but now I'm sorry I waited so long to try it. Works great for me.

Dale has also made me a horizontal sheath for a large TDI blade that is excellent.

And in the rare event you do need customer service for a product not quite right, Dale's has been 2nd to none.
    pattywak likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I was pleased with the Archangel holster I received from Mr. Fricke and have been meaning to try a horizontal mag pouch as well. I guess I'll order one and see. Thanks for the positive review.

Looks like a very comfortable way to carry another mag on the belt. Thanks for the review...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    OP, that looks like a great piece of gear. Lucky you.

I'm going to purchase a few for myself. Thank you for the thread.

Stay safe.
    +1 to that, been looking for a mag carry for a while now, that looks to be worth a shot I think! And I will try horizontal as well

Thanks for the review of the Joab. I have the Archangle and have been trying to decide which mag holster to get. This will help in my decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links