CQB Thigh holster's?

CQB Thigh holster's?

This is a discussion on CQB Thigh holster's? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at these for training classes and really liked the ones I saw guy's using in my combat pistol/low light class last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CQB Thigh holster's?

CQB Thigh holster's?

I have been looking at these for training classes and really liked the ones I saw guy's using in my combat pistol/low light class last weekend. They look great for the purpose and was wondering who is using these and what one you prefer and why?

I am looking heavy at both the Black Hawk Serpa set up as well as Safariland but I don't know of any others I might be missing to take a look at.

Also, what magazine pouches are you using with this holster set up? I am looking at both 2 and 3 mag pouches.

Here are links to the ones I'm talking about. Thank's for any help on this.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=4336&d=

http://www.safariland.com/products.asp?id=301

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I used one in the army but don't know what brand it was.(it was handed down to me)
    I loved using it. check out blade-tech.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-T...ers-c-264.html
    http://www.blade-tech.com/Quad-Mag-P...ps-pr-906.html

I am actually just going to get one of these cheepo ones!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Drop-Leg-Thigh-P...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by fordfreek; September 15th, 2006 at 08:56 PM.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them"--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i like the black hawk system since it dosent have a thumb strap just a retintion button to rtain the weapon one less thing to think of disengageing when trying to draw rapidly
    just my .02 seems i heard some where the simpler the better lol

I'm not a fan of retention straps for civilian use on the thigh holster but it is nice for military. Or anytime you got to jump and crawl around.

This is the company we got most of our stuff from when I was stationed in Ft. Lewis,Washington. Their stuff is top notch and they have good prices.
    They can also make you custom stuff (ie:modular holster for uncommon brand).

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index....on=Custom&ID=8
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them"--Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    I agree on the extra strap for rough climbing /jumping. I use a old BH nylon drop leg holster and always have the second strap in use when I am moving hard.
    You didn't specify what you would use the holster for other than class. Drop leg holsters are usually a bit slower to draw from, but give more clearance when wearing Body armor and/or a tac vest.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I agree on the extra strap for rough climbing /jumping. I use a old BH nylon drop leg holster and always have the second strap in use when I am moving hard.
    You didn't specify what you would use the holster for other than class. Drop leg holsters are usually a bit slower to draw from, but give more clearance when wearing Body armor and/or a tac vest.

Thanks for the post's guy's!

rocky, I really wouldn't use it for anything else but for training, I am hooked on training classes. I am not a LEO or anything but I might have other gear on as I advance further and go into AR/shotgun type training. Body armor would not be used i don't think.

Also, why is it slower to draw from a drop leg holster? I tried drawing from I believe, a Safariland drop leg holster in the class that a guy had a couple times and it was pretty smooth really and seemed to work well. I have long arms and it seemed to be easier to draw than from the belt. I will say though I was using a POS Fobus paddle holster that I threw away cause I hated drawing from it so anything was better than that.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Lead Moderator
    Maybe its with all the gear, but my drop leg draw times are a bit slower than from IWB or OWB on the belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Weired, I'll have to check that out. I only got to draw it a few times so I am not real sure exactly how I feel about it just yet.

Ti

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    The local Sherrif's Office Search n Rescue unit reccomends the Safariland if you insist on carrying while out and about in the woods. This is because you can't fit a holster anyplace real handy on your waist due to all the gear. I've seen some tactical shooters wear them, too. Good brand if you're into theigh holsters.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    The local Sherrif's Office Search n Rescue unit reccomends the Safariland if you insist on carrying while out and about in the woods. This is because you can't fit a holster anyplace real handy on your waist due to all the gear. I've seen some tactical shooters wear them, too. Good brand if you're into theigh holsters.
    The better word for it is a drop leg tactical holster. I will be using this holster for training. So tactical shooting/training is the right idea, and the Safariland holsters are very nice. It's not that I am into them as much as I am courious as to what others think of them and how they work for them in there training classes. It doesn't look like many train or do not use this type of holster or both! The BH Serpa holster can also be bought as a belt holster so I am surprised that more arn't using at least one of them. Thank's for the insite though!

Ti.

Lead Moderator
    TI Carry, I use a Serpa belt /paddle holster for my SA Champ. i find the lock to be positive and easy to disengage in a hurry. Some controversy about the Serpa release switch was discussed in depth here a while back.
    I like the serpa very much as a waist mounted holster. I have never had the gun not release or fail to lock the gun in. I find the zero friction the holster provides makes for fast presentations.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    TI Carry, I use a Serpa belt /paddle holster for my SA Champ. i find the lock to be positive and easy to disengage in a hurry. Some controversy about the Serpa release switch was discussed in depth here a while back.
    I like the serpa very much as a waist mounted holster. I have never had the gun not release or fail to lock the gun in. I find the zero friction the holster provides makes for fast presentations.

Now that's what I've been looking for! Real experiance with this holster because the locking/release is one of my reasons for this post. I am not familier with it so any "lock" holding your weapon will cause concern. I'll do a search on here too, I didn't see any post's about the Serpa holster before that I could remember.

Thank's for the info!

Ti.

Lead Moderator

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ti Carry -
    If you are not LE/Mil and yet are taking tactical courses, what other gear are you using? Are you using a LB rig or armor?

The reason I ask is because I usually recommend that people stick with the gear they are going to use on a regular basis. If you find yourself in Level IV-A armor and a chest rig on a regular basis in everyday life, then that's the gear you take a course with. Same with a thigh rig.

My feeling is that people should not generally get gear that has no other purpose than to be worn to a training course. Of course, YMMV.
    I'm not saying stay away from it, I'm simply suggesting that you make sure your reasons for doing so have been well thought out. Learning how to move around and draw from a thigh rig doesn't do you much good if you don't wear one every day in real life.

FWIW, I've used both the BH thigh rig and the Safariland. Rocky is spot on with his critique. I prefer the BH holster simply because I found it to be more comfortable for extended wear (i.e. several days of wear) vs. the Safariland, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be something you should be too worried about.
    Also, the BH rig has a retention strap, but that can be doubled over and velcro'd to itself to keep it out of the way - then all you're left with is the thumb break. It works fine like that unless you're doing some REALLY strenuous stuff - like, say...an obstacle course.

Stay sharp -
    Last edited by Pickpocket; September 17th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.

Yep, I understand everything your saying and do use my "regular" gear at times for classes, I have all leather IWB holsters for everyday carry and I have leather OWB holster too. I had a Fobus paddle holster that I threw away in the first 15 minutes of use at a class, it was a POS. but I am not going to take classes like this with my IWB holster all the time. It is easy to draw but hard to holster back. I also have to have at least two extra mag's for the classes. I don't carry two extra mag's everyday, at times I carry 1 extra if I can and it's horizontal on my waist in a single Wilderness mag pouch.

Some training I will use my normal gear and other times I will not. It depends on what the class is focused on. If focused on clearing and bad or dummy round, dropping mag's, reloading, etc, I will use a drop holster and at other times a belt or paddle holster. There are several LEO's that take these very classes that do not use a drop leg holster on duty. The majority of my training classes will be focused on my normal carry set up's though, this holster set up is for the times it is not.

Ti.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links