Defensive Carry banner

Remora holster with Glock 19?

11K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  .40swToFreedom 
#1 ·
Would love feedback from those who have tried this combination. I know the Remora is popular for use with subcompact 9mm and .380 ACP pistols. How well does it handle the larger 'compact' (yeah, right) G19?

What position in your waistband do you wear it? How does it compare to the hybrid holsters like the Crossbreed, or the easy on/off one-clip holsters like an Uncle Mike's?

#2 ·
The Remora holster is more like a body glove for your pistol than what you'd normally think a holster should be (clip...attachment point...etc).
Glock 19? I'm sure you could find the right location for that IWB. I know the Remora works very well with the lighter weight and more compact pistols for sure. I gave feedback in their early days in the design of the no clip holsters for Glock sub compacts (G26/G27). I think this is their ART line now. Alan and I don't keep up like we used to when I owned the gun shop, but the personal service and products speak for themselves. Right now (summer carry), I am with my G27 in a Remora 6ART carrying appendix no clip...just holster and pistol (like I have been since I got my first one). Alan has expanded the line over the years and included many options that were not available back in the day mainly due to end user feedback. Great man, great company, made in USA. I'll bet you could make it work with your G19 with options. Alan makes himself available to customers and questions last I knew.....he may be more busy now than a couple of years ago, but I believe his personal involvement with the customer is the pinnacle of his business and he knows this. Remora holsters and Glocks.........keeping things simple has never been easier IMO.

Reactions: beararms
#3 ·
I ordered one for my 19 that should be delivered today. I have one that I have been using with my 26 for several months and it works great, especially when I just want to run an errand or something. I can't imagine that the Remora and 19 would be any different. I'm thinking that I will carry the 19 more in cooler weather wearing jeans.

I will post again after I've used the Remora with the 19 for a few days.

#5 ·
I carry a Glock 19 in a Remora (Artemis) at about 4:00. Very comfortable and very stable. I do wear a belt to keep it against my body.

The Remora is hands down my favorite holster. I have 4 right now for my guns and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

#14 ·
Well, possibly.....but I don't think I would recommend it that way. It works best with bare skin on one side of the holster IMO. If you're going to do between pants and belt carry, I'd use one of the clip holsters.
Run your ideas by Alan (owner).......sure he'll have good suggestions, and he loves to hear from customers new or repeat.

#9 ·
I'm a recent Remora customer.

When it comes to carry guns and gear, I'm kind of like Steve Rodgers in the Captain America comics...I was pretty current until about twenty years ago, went into hibernation and just recently thawed out.

The idea of a no clip/loop sticky IWB holster struck me as pretty fantastic, or a gimmicky rip-off. Real holsters have attachment points and are made from dead critters. Why not just carry Mexican with the gun in an old, sticky sock? Makes as much sense. Maybe it works with those new helium filled alloy and nylon micropistols, but not with my old fashioned anvil weight shooting irons.

After reading all the positive reviews, curiosity and my inner cheapskate got the better of me, and I ordered a Remora 12C with the reinforced top and sweat shield for a Combat Commander, with the idea of sneaking a BHP in it, too. After all, if it's really that good and it's that inexpensive, what the heck? If it sucks, I can always figure out a way to stuff it between the seat and the console of my car.

Turns out the Remora works really well for me, and with a pistol that weighs 43 ounces loaded. Your Glock 19 should be about 13 ounces lighter.

With a bigger pistol, I'd not want to count myself in with the "Remora works for me with just gym shorts and sweatpants" crowd. I wear a belt, but it works with a regular ol' dress belt just fine.

Honestly, even with the belt, in the back of my mind there's this "Oh, crap, just wait 'till that thing slides down your pants while you're reaching for the salsa in aisle three" thing whispering in my ear, but so far, it's all psychological. All the actual evidence points solidly to the contrary-that thing stays put where I put it, period.

The grippiness (it's not really sticky) of the Remora against the body or t-shirt does seem to help spread the load, so the the pistol carries lighter, if that makes any sense.

So far, I'm a fan, and think your Glock 19 will be a comparative piece of cake for a Remora.

#10 ·
I tried the Remora holster for a while with both a G19 and G26. I wore it at the 3:30-4 positions. My observations -

Pros
EXTREMELY Comfortable
Infinitely adjustable

Cons
I did not find it to be stable unless I cinched my belt up quite tight which is not comfortable for me.

#11 ·
Rollo's post illustrates a great point: concealed carry involves compromise. While I find the Remoras to be an excellent method of carry, they do not provide a high sense of stability/security to me. Wearing drawstring gym shorts, I regularly touch the gun with my elbow when exiting the car to verify its position and often make a minor adjustment. Jogging a few yards (parking lot, for example) also requires a check and/or adjustment, even in jeans with a good gun belt.

The Remora is not a perfect method, but the compromises it requires are ones I can live with. I have found, however, that confidence in the Remora increases over time. It is not, nor will be, a "retention" holster.

YMMV.

#12 ·
I have a Glock 23 and a Ruger LC9, and carry both in a Remora.

I carry at 3:00 IWB.

I like Remoras well enough that my Crossbreed sits in a drawer. If I had the need to tuck my shirt over my EDC, then I use the CBST, otherwise its Remora. I also have an Uncle Mikes that never gets used.

#13 ·
I received my latest Remora in the mail yesterday. Full sweat shield for the G19. Wore it all evening with belted shorts and untucked shirt running to the store, driving and doing a couple yard tasks. No slip at all perhaps because of the full sweat shield. It was also the most comfortable holster I have worn. The folks at Remora are quick and make a great product.

#18 ·
You should have no problem at all with using the Remora. I have the 10ART model for my Sig P229r and I actually prefer it over my high ride OWB now. I didn't think that would be possible. I am considering getting the 10ART model in a full sweat shield for warmer weather also. I don't know the total loaded weight of my Sig but am quite sure it's much heavier than a G19. Either way, you won't be out much dough and it really does grow on you how comfortable you can be with it. Belts are absolutely a must for comfort to me. I have more gun belts than holsters now.

#20 ·
Used to carry a full size M&P45 and used a Remora exclusively. No problem. Just ordered on Sunday a Remora for my Ruger SR1911. Looking forward to that showing up sometime this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.