How to measure cant?

This is a discussion on How to measure cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nichols Design.jpg A bit of history I can throw in. Red did not pick that holster above by internet accident. That is Red's orginal design...... ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to measure cant?

Nichols Design.jpg

A bit of history I can throw in. Red did not pick that holster above by internet accident. That is Red's orginal design...... sold to a "mass maker" ....... some where around 1997--1998. I know because I opened up the box as it came in. It has remained unchanged since Red threw the first stitches in it. You can not get better then that.

Michael
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good addition Red & High Noon.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Worth adding to this thread, doesn't need a new one:

These pics show the effect of carry-angle choice on comfort - concealment - presentation; as a simplification, the green line at left could be thought of as a loose shirt or jacket over your piece. The pics begin with 24 degrees; note how the butt of the pistol is just past the green line. The pics progress to 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 degrees positive. 0 degrees and the negative degrees can be thought of as either gunslinger (strong side) or crossdraw (off side) angles. Also consider that, as the angle changes from 24 towards 0, to keep the pistol on the strong side, your piece needs to start drifting further from kidney position to appendix position.

That leads to discomfort on the thin skin over the pelvis; and could lead to a nasty result with an a/d from carrying, drawing, or reholstering your piece. In practice, the best CCP (comfort concealment presentation) placement is just behind the 'upper iliac crest' of the pelvis; i.e., top dead center of either your strong or off side.

24 deg.jpg
    20 deg.jpg
    15 deg.jpg
    10 deg.jpg
    5 deg.jpg
    0 deg.jpg

Reviewing period literature during the popularisation of the FBI tilt, e.g., Chic Gaylord's 1960 book, reminds us that it was the foundation of the sweeping draw into a crouched firing position, which itself supported beginning the trigger pull on the old long-action DA revolvers between the time the revolver cleared the holster to the target acquisition.

P.S. So if 24 degrees is very good, why not MORE, like 30 or even 35 degrees? Because, at least with concealment holsters, now the rear of the slide on autos begins to protrude, and on revolvers moves the already-extreme angle of the grip into uncomfortable territory for presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Well, geometry was the only class in high school in which I didn't do well, and now it's come back to haunt me. I want to order a holster, but I need to specify the cant. How can I measure the cant (as I've set it up) on my CBST? Help a spatially challenged gal out! :))
    "Cant", or carry angle, choice also depends where on the waist you'll carry it; and in the obverse, if you already have a holster with a fixed angle, that dictates where you'll carry it around your waist if comfort and presentation are to be accomodated.

Pics:

a (1).jpeg21.jpeg8.jpeg

The leftmost pic shows how a +25 degree angle "presents" the grip for an FBI "crouch" draw; the middle pic is at a +20 degree angle, and is perhaps further forward on the belt than ideal for the presentation of the grip; and the rightmost pic shows just an +8 degree angle -- the grip presents better and the rig must be carried above the trousers seam or it won't conceal.

This pic is nigh on a perfect angle for behind the pelvic crest (the vertical green line tells us this) (it's a +22 degree carry because it has the longer, 5" barrel) though the tab at the left of the muzzle will "print" through clothing unless bent towards the body:

22.jpg

These two have gone too far at +30 amd +33 degrees respectively, even when worn back by the spine; because the rear sight will protrude and so will the left side of the muzzle:

30.jpeg33.jpeg

If you're going to carry back by the spine, SOB holsters are configured entirely differently to present the grip correctly and to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    HERE YOU GO. Thanks Matt Del Fatti.

Del Fatti Leather - Rake and Belt measurements
    You're very welcome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links