Defensive Carry banner

IWB carry when driving

9K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  MrBuckwheat 
#1 ·
I've been trying to IWB carry my LCP in a Remora while driving. I have it at about 4:30, but find it fairly uncomfortable and always pull it out and put it back on when I get out.

How do you folks manage?

#10 ·
Sold, I'm getting one for my G19.

I carry my P238 at 4:30 in my CBMT which is quite comfortable for shorter trips. Glock 19 carried in Galco Royal Guard at 4:30 as well; not so comfortable. But I like it.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro at 4:00 for short trips. For long drives I go with a shooter holster.

#9 ·
I have an right side IWB holster clipped inside my left front door map pocket. G19 goes in there just before I buckle-up, goes back to my waist IWB after I unbuckle but before I get out. I don't mind the required left-hand draw from the map pocket as I want my right hand free to start & drive my car if necessary. I like it MUCH better than wrestling with a seatbelt under heavy stress.

#11 ·
I spend a great deal of time in my truck and I don't like sitting on my pistol, either. Carried at 3:00 works well for me, as does AIWB with my sub compact pistols.

#12 ·
I can't seem to effectively wear my pistol iwb while driving. I find it fairly uncomfortable but more importantly I can not effectively grab it and draw. I have practiced and it just is too slow. I have decided to remove it when I get in the truck and set it inside my trucks console under the arm rest. it sits right down in there and I can reach it fast. Seems to be best for me. I carry my 686+ most times when in the truck.
I have carried .380's and while comfortable the draw is still awkward.

#15 ·
I can't seem to effectively wear my pistol iwb while driving. I find it fairly uncomfortable but more importantly I can not effectively grab it and draw. I have practiced and it just is too slow. I have decided to remove it when I get in the truck and set it inside my trucks console under the arm rest.
This is a great point. Maybe I need to rethink keeping a pistol IWB and blocked by a seatbelt.

I might try tucking the Remora between the driver seat and center console.

For those who remove the holster when driving, do you squirm around in the car to put it back on, or do you get out of the car and reholster, accepting the increased likelihood of being spotted?

#18 ·
I've carried a CZ P-01 9mm for years at 3-4 o'clock position with a decent IWB with ~20º forward cant. At 3-ish, it rides reasonably easily in the car. IMO, the cant helps tremendously. Of course, the CZ P-01 isn't exactly a skinny or short thing, so it's probably at the upper limit of anything I'd want to carry in that fashion IWB in the car. For longer trips, I've got a cross-draw "driving" holster, similar to what retsupt99 does.

#20 ·
Sounds like your carrying a bit to far back. This puts the grip more between you and the seat. I carry my G26 at 3:30 and a barely notice it because the grip run along my body but not really between my back and the seat. My G19 is less comfortable to carry when driving which I assume is because of the longer grip.

#21 ·
A lot of students ask this ?,I recommend a cross draw rig if you are able,if not I will tell them to get a vehicle mounted holster,don't just shove it in the seat or under something.

#22 ·
I normally wear a P238 in a N82 IWB at about 2:30. While driving, I'll often relocate it to the 10:30 position as a cross-draw. Very comfortable, less obstructed by seat belts and conveniently placed for deployment against driver-side threats.

#25 ·
I also have an LCP with a Ramora which I carry at the 2:00 position. Not comfortable at all while sitting but with all this warm weather we are having it is the only rig that works for me right now. I really don't like IWB on anything but with draw string shorts and a t-shirt the LCP is the only one that works. I rather have it a little uncomfortable than not have her with me. :smile:

#26 ·
I carry tucked for all my IWB holsters and a south paw to boot so I gave up on trying to use my tucked gun for car carry on the drivers side. I got a Kinston car holster from DeSantis and a second CZ-75 to carry as a car gun and just leave my tucked gun tucked.

#29 ·
Since Summer I have the LC9 almost 4 IWB not a problem but I drive a truck. If I carry my G19 and wear a shirt untucked I use a belt slide and push it forward and when I get out of the truck push it back around 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.