Defensive Carry banner

CompTac hybrid IWB clip question

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  NC Bullseye 
#1 ·
Anyone with a CompTac hybrid IWB holster (MTAC, CTAC, Spartan): What are the clips made out of, and how are they holding up for you? I'm close to pulling the trigger on an MTAC for my M&P9c, but from the pics on CompTac's website, the clips look like they're made of plastic. I'm wary of plastic clips in general, from bad experiences with countless cell phone holsters and a cheapie Blackhawk IWB holster.

Also, if you have any general thoughts to share on this holster, I'm all ears! The feedback I've read on this forum and elsewhere has been pretty positive, but I remember reading somewhere this might not be the best holster for smaller-statured people (I'm 5' 8" and 135 lbs)...

#2 ·
The clips are plastic but they seem pretty stout. I have an MTAC for an M&P40/40c ("slide" version) and use it when I need to tuck or carry the FS. I also have the C clips not the standard J clips but if they are made of the same material I think you'd have to really try to break them.

My normal combination is an Infidel holser w/ the 40c. It has modified version of the J style clips and shows no sign of fatigue thus far.

I'm 5'7" and ~155lbs and don't have a problem using the MTAC, I think it works really well for me at the 1530-1600 position with a slightly greater than 15* cant.

#3 ·
I've used A Minataur for about 3 1/2 years.
Very comfortable,good to draw from.
The clips are plastic and have never broken;I believe the current ones are an upgraded design from a couple of years ago.I use the standard clips.

#5 ·
2 yrs + and they're fine. There are different types of "plastic" and these are definitely different from what you find on cell phone holsters - they are semi-flexible. I've had the holster get twisted up when "depantsing" while leaving my belt/holster on my pants and nothing happened.

#7 ·
Same experience as previous posters. I use the velcro clips which are fine for everyday CC. My MTAC stays in place while moving around and during the draw. I have an set of normal over the belt clips for training classes. I have had the holster get out of position during an outdoor all day class and feel the over the belt clip is more secure for that situation.

#9 ·
I just order two sets of different colored clips this morning and noticed they had upgraded them. From the web site:

"You may notice that our Standard Clips have changed. We have been working for a long time to make a polymer clip that is more durable, more secure, and more concealable. Using an entirely different molding process, we've found our solution.

You'll find that the new clips provide a more positive grip on your belt. They are also longer (with more holes) to give more cant adjustment, and narrower, for better concealment. The real benefit, however, is the durability. We have been testing the new design for months on a "clip-testing robot". Until now, our best design was good for 10,000 flexes. This new design went for over 10,000,000 flexes without failure (considered infinite for this type of product). Like any clips, they're not invincible--but they're certainly an improvement."

Mounting Options - products new home - C-T.A.C. Standard Clip

#10 ·
My MTAC is well made and durable. Note that the leather backing squeezes the gun into the the plastic half-holster, thus how stiff it is to holster or draw is affected by how and where you position the holster. I find that when I adjust things to get the correct amount of retention when worn, the gun will almost fall out of the holster after I take it off.

The clips I believe are nylon. They are very flexible and strong.

You may have to experiment a lot (I did) to figure out how you really want to position your holster. After that you might want to cut off the unused ends of the clips so that they don't get caught on things or poke into you.

#11 ·
I had to laugh when a know-it-all criticized my choice of holster by demonstrating that my pistol would fall out when held upside down. He shut up when I explained that my belt provided enough extra tension that I could stand on my head w/o the gun falling out. I think the biggest advantage of these holsters is how adjustable they are - height, cant, indiv gun.

#12 ·
The new clips are great. I have a ctac and went through several sets of clips over a few years and now with the new clips they are hanging in there great. The new clips are I believe a nylon based clip and are FAR more durable than the old and another MAJOR benefit is they are about half as wide as the old clips so they conceal far better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.