Defensive Carry banner

The Value of a Good Belt

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  maclean3 
#1 ·
Im sure all of you have seen and probably responded to the countless number of threads asking which gun belt is the best or what the need for a good gun belt is. I would like to reiterate that with a quick experience.

Ive been carrying for about 2 weeks now and have been using my Rafter S gun belt all the while. Well, yesterday I decided to try a different belt just to see if I had wisely spent my $60 on the Rafter S gunleather. The belt I wore yesterday is a quality leather belt that I bought at a gun show last December and have worn daily pretty much ever since. It was crazy-stiff to start with but has become nicely broken-in since then.

Yesterday, I strapped on the regular belt and regretted it all day!:nono: I needed to strap the belt extra tight, and even then it just didnt feel like it was supporting the gun and holster how it should have been. Granted, this is a 1-piece construction belt.

This morning I put back on my Rafter S belt, and all is well again. The gun is supported and doesnt feel like its jumping around on my waist when I move..

Essentially, this is 1 more vote supporting the need for a good double-thickness gun belt. A good holster doesnt hurt either. (VM2 here :wave: )

See less See more
#2 ·
A gun belt is an essential part of daily carry and spending $60.00 on one is a steal for what your are getting. My last belt was like $125.00 for a Mitch Rosen. I don't care, it's one of the best $125.00 I've ever spent. It has months of use and show's zero wear, it's still just like brand new.

Ti.

#3 ·
A Good Belt...

makes CCW much more pleasant. My 'instructors belt' is one of the best...doesn't even have to be that tight to work well!
I have another thick leather belt I found at a Western Store...where the cowboys hang out...and it works well also!
When CCW involves anything over a .380...the belt makes the difference!

ret:urla9ub:

#4 ·
+1 on Rafter Belts

I also like Rafter belts and wear one much of the time. They are well made, double thickness belts that hold their shape for a long time. When you hang a holster and gun on the Rafter belt it stays where you put it.

Many other companies make good belts, of course. The key is to use two thicknesses of good leather stitched together, with a quality buckle. A single thickness just isn't enough.

#8 ·
Many other companies make good belts, of course. The key is to use two thicknesses of good leather stitched together, with a quality buckle. A single thickness just isn't enough.
This is the belt I modeled mine after. I wanted mine to match my VM2, so I ordered it in Cordovan with Henna (Redish) thread. It looks identical to the pic above, but mine is cow and not shark.

#9 ·
I've used an excellent gun belt for years. I have several for different occasions. I have a Galco reinforced Instructor style on order. I also have a K&D matched set on order.

#10 ·
Absolutely agree, you don't build a million dollar house on a crappy foundation so why put a $80+ holster on a $10 belt? I've worn my Milt Sparks belt daily since 2000 and just recently retired it to my pile of hard use clothes (fishing, car maintenance, etc). My new belt is one I ordered from Eric Larsen with my COM3 and I have yet another on order with Gary Brommeland ... I think I've got the 1.5" belt well covered :wink:. Next comes 1.25" dress belts - and 1.25" holsters of course!
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.