In desperate need of an IWB mag holder

This is a discussion on In desperate need of an IWB mag holder within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, new to the forum and in big need of help. I have a Glock 19 that I carry in an MTAC, can't say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: In desperate need of an IWB mag holder

Hey guys, new to the forum and in big need of help. I have a Glock 19 that I carry in an MTAC, can't say enough about it. My problem is that I haven't found a good IWB mag holster for the extra mag. I usually keep it in my left front pocket, but I would feel more comfortable having "on me". I've tried a couple of OWB holster, but they all seem to stick out to much. I normally wear jeans and t-shirts. The shirts are loss around my waist but the OWB still shows. I'm considering the crossbreed IWB and the comp-tac concealment pouch. From what I've read on a few threads the remora is what a lot of people are using and really happy with. I just don't understand how a clip less holster can stay in place so well. I'm constantly on the move and need it to stay in place. Also, for those that have the remoras, does the holster come out when drawing the mag? I appreciate any help you guys can give on the subject.

If you want a vertical orientation, try www.theisholsters.com for one of his IWB mag holders.

I recommend considering a horizontal orientation pouch - coming check out my review of the Joab mag holder in my signature.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I'm gonna' catch some flack for this, but here goes. Why would anyone be in "desperate need" of an extra mag pouch when your G19...already has a 15 round capacity? Fer Pate's sake, that's like carrying three J frames! I regularly carry a G19 and am completely comfortable without an extra mag. If 15 rounds of 125 gr +P 9mm won't get me out of a bind, I should have taken more FWGs ("Friends With Guns") in the first place.
    ericb327 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I use a Gerber multi tool pouch that I ordered off of eBay for under $10 to carry my extra mag in, it works great and no one would expect what it's holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'm gonna' catch some flack for this, but here goes. Why would anyone be in "desperate need" of an extra mag pouch when your G19...already has a 15 round capacity? Fer Pate's sake, that's like carrying three J frames! I regularly carry a G19 and am completely comfortable without an extra mag. If 15 rounds of 125 gr +P 9mm won't get me out of a bind, I should have taken more FWGs ("Friends With Guns") in the first place.
    I see where you're coming from, but be prepared for people posing a counter question - why carry in the first place? We can't prepare for every eventuality, but we can prepare for what we can.
    sgb likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I'm gonna' catch some flack for this, but here goes. Why would anyone be in "desperate need" of an extra mag pouch when your G19...
    Mag malfunction insurance?

Hit the mag release by mistake, don't want to go searching for it?

Giants fan at Dodger Stadium?
    joker1 likes this.

Mdne04
    This is something our custom shop at ECS can definitely make for you. We have made these for a few customers in the past but there just isn't much demand so they are not up on the website. What has been done in the past is our Modular carrier built with a slightly different body contour and a custom set of slim J-Hooks for IWB carry. If you are interested PM me.

Ghost tracker, I see where you're coming from. I do believe 15 rounds is enough, but I believe more in having a back up. My wife will be getting her CHL soon and all of my "friends with guns" live in another city.

sgb
    A common attitude due in my opinion mostly to lack of training and the "My Gunfight" Syndrome.

"Thinking outside your box"
    "...Assumptions are awesome when they're actually right, but they sure can hurt when you're wrong......"

by Larry Correia

I've been a concealed carry instructor for five years, I hang out with a bunch of gun nuts, and I've been around self-defense buffs for most of my adult life. In that time I've seen a recurring theme, and unfortunately it can be a dangerous one. Many of us have something in common.

I call it My Gunfight. We've imagined a scene, a violent encounter, in our head. And in this scene, we take decisive action and we prevail and save the day. Many of us have a mental fabrication of what My Gunfight is going to be like.

Most people who chose to carry a gun have done this. I have myself. It isn't anything to be ashamed of. In fact, it really helps develop a proper mindset to be able to realistically assess what kind of terrible things can happen to you and start laying some groundwork about how we want to respond.

The problem comes in when we make assumptions about My Gunfight.
    Assumptions are awesome when they're actually right, but they sure can hurt when you're wrong.

I have had students tell me that they never practice at anything past conversational distance, because the average gunfight takes place at only seven feet. See, in Their Gunfight, the bad guy will be conveniently placed at a distance that they can actually hit stuff.

Sadly, there's no such thing as an average gunfight. The only thing they have in common is that they all suck. If you only prepare for a gunfight inside an elevator, it will be a bummer when the crazy guy starts shooting at you across the mall. I've had students tell me that if the assailant is that far away, then they wouldn't be justified in shooting. That's also a mistake. There are hundreds of reasons why you might need to shoot somebody out past conversational distance. And if you find yourself in a situation where you need to, you dang well better have practiced.

Another assumption I get from many students is that they will have plenty of time to draw their gun and get it into action. Oftentimes these folks want to carry with an empty chamber. There is a misconception that this is somehow safer, and besides in Their Gunfight, they'll have plenty of time, and both hands available, to get their pistol into action.

In real life, the bad guys may not be as compliant as the ones in Your Gunfight. In real life, the violence may occur so quickly that you do not have time to rack the slide. Or you may have one hand occupied holding the bad guy back from stabbing you in the head with a screwdriver. The point is, you won't know until it happens. Even best case scenario you've added a significant amount of time to your draw stroke (and if you've been in a fight to the death, you know that even a second is a significant amount of time), and one more chance to fumble and screw up.

During my regular class, I integrate a role-playing session. We go through several realistic scenarios with students and actors armed with rubber weapons. All of these scenarios are based on actual cases, and like real life, most of them tend to happen quickly.

Usually after going through the role-plays, nobody is tempted to carry chamber empty anymore. A fatal assumption was pointed out in Their Gunfight, and they adjust accordingly. If you're really worried about carrying with a loaded chamber, get a good, safe holster that keeps the gun secure and protects the trigger. If you still have a mental hang up, switch to a gun that has a heavier trigger or other safety devices. Anything is faster and safer than assuming you'll be in a position to rack a slide.

These are just a few examples of assumptions caused by My Gunfight.
    One of my personal favorite students of all time was hung up, not only on carrying chamber empty, but he also had a belief that he would "easily" be able to neutralize the bad guy by shooting them in the leg. No, I kid you not. He brought this up repeatedly during class, even after I pointed out that it could be just as fatal only slower, the same lethal force in the eyes of the law, and with the added benefit of not being nearly as effective at incapacitating an actual threat. What did I know? I was only the guy he was paying to teach him this stuff.

During the role-play, he was lucky enough to get a scenario that I use to demonstrate the principles of a Tueller drill. Without going into too many details, I'm playing the part of an obviously dangerous threat, interrupted in the act of committing a forcible felony on a third person, with the ability and opportunity to cause him serious bodily harm, and I just happen to start twenty-one feet away with a rubber knife.

I charged. He went for his gun. Not only did he fail to rack the slide and shoot me in the leg like he had talked about, he managed to draw the gun, fumble, and actually tossed it across the room. I stabbed him a few times, and as a happy bonus, picked his gun up before I fled the scene.

His Gunfight had not taken into account things like speed, adrenalin, or confusion. Last I checked, he was carrying a chamber loaded Glock, in a good holster, and practicing a bunch.

That was an extreme example, but I think all of us need to watch out for the decisions we make based upon our assumptions. Be smart, be realistic, and don't be afraid to keep an open mind. Just because My Gunfight makes sense to me, doesn't mean that the world cares one bit.

-Larry Correia is an author, firearms instructor, and one of the owners of Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns in Draper, Utah. FBMG is a gun store, specializing in self-defense needs, training, and full-line smithing. His first novel, Monster Hunter International, will be released by Baen Books in June 2009. The author can be reached at larry@fbmginc.com
    pattywak and urkrypt0nite like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Mdne04 View Post
    Hey guys, new to the forum and in big need of help. I have a Glock 19 that I carry in an MTAC, can't say enough about it. My problem is that I haven't found a good IWB mag holster for the extra mag. I usually keep it in my left front pocket, but I would feel more comfortable having "on me". I've tried a couple of OWB holster, but they all seem to stick out to much. I normally wear jeans and t-shirts. The shirts are loss around my waist but the OWB still shows. I'm considering the crossbreed IWB and the comp-tac concealment pouch. From what I've read on a few threads the remora is what a lot of people are using and really happy with. I just don't understand how a clip less holster can stay in place so well. I'm constantly on the move and need it to stay in place. Also, for those that have the remoras, does the holster come out when drawing the mag? I appreciate any help you guys can give on the subject.
    First: Welcome to the forums "Mdne04".

The Remora holster works, and works well, but I haven't used the magazine carrier, just the holster for my G30sf. I didn't think it was going to work either, but after wearing it for the last few months, and sleeping with it on one night, I'm a believer. Send Alan an email, he has great customer service, I bet he will let you try one and return it if your not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBucket View Post
    Mag malfunction insurance?

Hit the mag release by mistake, don't want to go searching for it?

Giants fan at Dodger Stadium?
    Here comes the flak! I'd carry three J-frames, if I had the money. That is a great "New York" reload, with a back-up on your ankle.

Magazine failure is a great reason.
    You didn't say which 9mm 125gr +P(not 124gr?) ammo you carry, but we will assume it is from the LIST. Let's do some "crack math" -- I'm not a mathematician, so my numbers may be off.

The average is 2-3 rounds fired in a defensive manner. So somewhere in the world, nine people fired 1 round and one person fired 15 rounds. Average = 2.4 rounds fired. Sooo, 1 in 10 chance of firing all 15 rounds. The average police officer who qualifies each year, and deals with stressful situations all the time, has an average "hit rate" of 30-40%. We'll say 35%. Of course we practice every other week, in the rain, dark, after getting slapped or knocked down, poked in one eye, run sprints and then shoot, our uncle was a Navy SEAL and he trained us -- just so we know how to shoot under an attack and stress. Our hit rate is 55%. So out of 2.4 rounds, 1.32 are hits, 15 rounds gives you 8.25 hits.(I know, you can tweak the math to fit whatever you want ) Of those 8 hits, none are center mass, the bad person is bleeding, but isn't stopped -- TIME TO RELOAD!!

We carry a weapon because there is a low chance we may be a victim. There is a low chance we will fire it if drawn, there is a low chance we will fire more then three rounds, there is a low chance of a center mass hit, there is a low chance of a misfire, there is a low chance of a magazine spring failure, there is a low chance of two, three, four or more attackers, there is a low chance the bad people are wearing a bullet resistant vest.
    An extra magazine is small insurance, and easy to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdne04 View Post
    Ghost tracker, I see where you're coming from. I do believe 15 rounds is enough, but I believe more in having a back up. My wife will be getting her CHL soon and all of my "friends with guns" live in another city.
    I carry my G30sf, and two extra magazines. I also have pepper spray, ASP baton, a few knives, and the desire to live.
    My odds are bad; I have survived cancer twice, and been in three situations where I thought a handgun would be useful -- two of those times I was in another state, and had no handgun available, the other time I was under 21, so no handgun.
    --Jason--

Agreed, there's no such thing as an average gunfight. There ALSO is such a thing as being over-equipped and under prepared. I see it all the time. Newer (younger?) concealed handgun carriers who, because they read an article or see someone at the range, now simply MUST now have a laser, a red dot, the latest concept in Kydex IWB holsters, etc., etc. You can see it all mounted on multi-railed social shotguns & ARs as well. To me, an old guy who's carried defensive handguns for 25+ years, it (as often as not) creates a false sense of security because the permit holder now has 'ALL the gear" the pros have. Well, in truth, the pros pay much less attention to the sizzle & much more attention to the steak.

I understand an extra mag. I get it. And, sgb, I've had a BUNCH of training & would always wish to have more. But if an IWB mag pouch was that common among common-sense carriers, it would be A LOT easier to find. My point is, with 15 rounds in your EDC, is a reload really a top priority? Or is it possibly a (small) case of being so acutely attuned to the most unlikely scenario that you overlook practical probability? In life/death events, I would rather be practical than "tactical". Let's remember, most fishing lures are not primarily intended to catch fish. Fish have no money. Most lures are designed to catch...fisherman!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks for all the input guys. Jeremy, I'll pm you when I get a chance. SGB, you make a great point and I agree that most of us have played out our own gunfights in our head. It's an unfortunately truth to a point. Blades, thanks for the heads up, I'll contact Alan when I get a chance. I just can't seem to wrap my head around a no clip holster. I might just have to buy one to check it out.

Agreed, there's no such thing as an average gunfight. There ALSO is such a thing as being over-equipped and under prepared.
    Good point.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    I use a Gerber multi tool pouch that I ordered off of eBay for under $10 to carry my extra mag in, it works great and no one would expect what it's holding.
    X2 great trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links