Snap on pancake

This is a discussion on Snap on pancake within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally managed to finish a personal holster. I had made another snap on rig earlier and had this grand notion of making it capable of ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Snap on pancake

Snap on pancake

Finally managed to finish a personal holster. I had made another snap on rig earlier and had this grand notion of making it capable of being IWB or OWB. Well, it seems you can do both OK but neither well. So this time I went for a dedicated OWB rig. The changes I made for this one were integrated straps, double snaps, fully lined, and I left the bottom open. Basically, I fixed all the mistakes I made on my first one. I have to say that the lined holsters look great. But I don't see myself making many of them. Wow, that was a lot of work!

The holster is 4 layers of 5-6 oz Hermann Oak B grade leather, hand stitched, and vinegroon finished. Any critiques are welcome.

For your viewing pleasure. Front side snapped.

View of straps.

Back side.

First shot is a top edge and then a side edge. I'm much happier with the burnishing on this one. Even though evening out 4 layers was kind of tough.

Shot of the lining.

And the most important part, how it rides. Much tighter than the last one. These strap will not be slipping off and letting the holster move off my hip.

Guest1 and Thunder71 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

This is a "snap-on pancake"; you've created something else:

snap-on pancake.jpeg

You'll get a result you like better if you do two things: switch from closed muzzle to open muzzle, and bang your pistol mould into the holster at the back of the slide, not on the muzzle of the holster (i.e., upside down).

Closed muzzle made sense when everyone carried revolvers, with their slim tapered barrels. But the advent of bulky designs like the Glock made nonsense of that, so open muzzle (even a slit in the leather) will give you a better result. Leaving 3/8" or so beyond the muzzle will prevent powder residue or sight black from dirtying clothing.

Somebody say someting about "Pancakes?"

Distinguished Member
    Nice work ChiefJason!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Hey, make me one of those for a G23 and I'll pick it up later this month when I pass through Hickory!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Looking good
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    This is a "snap-on pancake"; you've created something else:

You'll get a result you like better if you do two things: switch from closed muzzle to open muzzle, and bang your pistol mould into the holster at the back of the slide, not on the muzzle of the holster (i.e., upside down).

Closed muzzle made sense when everyone carried revolvers, with their slim tapered barrels. But the advent of bulky designs like the Glock made nonsense of that, so open muzzle (even a slit in the leather) will give you a better result. Leaving 3/8" or so beyond the muzzle will prevent powder residue or sight black from dirtying clothing.
    Red, I've not seen any consensus on a name for this type of holster, but snap on pancake made the most sense. I can certainly see the difference in the two and had considered making one similar to your pic.

Also, the muzzle end is open. Although not a lot. It's a fully lined holster, so the stitch line is on every edge. I sewed the muzzle, sweat guard, and mouth first, then glued the front and back together, and finished sewing where all 4 pieces of leather came together. I think a couple of things are happening. My stitch line may be a touch too close, especially around the front sight area. Although I used 1/2" extra space all the way around the pistol. I could have probably made that side less steep and added a bit more leather there too. The bind seems to be where the stitch from the sight channel meets the bottom stitch. I can't tell if that is keeping the trigger guard a bit higher or if the width of the trigger guard is doing it.

As for inserting the pistol. Are you suggesting putting the back of the slide on the board and pounding the holster down over it? I guess I never thought of doing that because of the sweat guard. But I can see where it could be helpful. Maybe I could have gotten it a bit deeper doing it upside down like you suggest.

Thanks for the responses everybody.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Nice job.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Nice one, looks good.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Looks very good. I have a similar one made by Safariland for my Gov Model Colt. I like it very much.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Looks great, nice work.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I don't mind the closed muzzle. You got to build just what you want. Looks like a high quality job. thank you for sharing your work and ideas!

Links