Cross Breed or N82?

This is a discussion on Cross Breed or N82? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to get a new holster for my SR9c. I bought a Mackenzie holster with combat cut but I'm not satisfied. I'm a large ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pattywak
  • 1 Post By joker1

Thread: Cross Breed or N82?

Cross Breed or N82?

I need to get a new holster for my SR9c. I bought a Mackenzie holster with combat cut but I'm not satisfied. I'm a large guy so the grip on my pistol rubs against my side carrying at about 4:00. I also notices that the metal on the inside of the holster is starting to rust.

So next week I'm getting one of those 2. The N82 I think would be more comfortable with the seuede backing and sweat guard but I'm not sure how well the single Clio holster carries a pistol that size.

Has anyone had direct experience with both and can speak from experience which would be better for a big guy.

2. Remove Ads

If you are considering a Crossbreed, I would also consider a Theis Holster. Check out the review linked in my signature.

I go into detail about the Theis holster and compare it to my Crossbreed holster. Just another option for you.
    vista461 likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I love my CBST in horsehide with the combat cut. I carry a GLOCK 19 at about 3:15 and like you I've got "more to love" (yes, I stole that from pattywak). I do wear an a-shirt (commonly known as a "wife-beater" but I don't beat my wife) and the horsehide handles sweat pretty good.
    pattywak likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'm really torn about it. I know both are good holsters but the combat cut I believe is contributing to the discomfort. I always wear an undershirt and when I don't need to be tucked I'll tuck in the undershirt and leave the outer untucked. I am not totally fond of that. I'd rather all or nothing. That's why I'm leaning towards the N82. That full coverage and backing would probably suit me better. I just don't know if it would hamper my ability to draw quickly. That's my main concern as far as the backing goes.

Ah, I see. I'm sure you can send Mr. Theis an e-mail with your concerns and see if he could make one without a combat cut. He has very good customer service and I have no doubt he would be able to take care of it.

As far as hampering your ability to draw, that's the tradeoff you get with the full backing vs the combat cut. More comfort and a possibly harder draw or less comfort and getting your full firing grip more easily before the draw.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    Ah, I see. I'm sure you can send Mr. Theis an e-mail with your concerns and see if he could make one without a combat cut. He has very good customer service and I have no doubt he would be able to take care of it.

As far as hampering your ability to draw, that's the tradeoff you get with the full backing vs the combat cut. More comfort and a possibly harder draw or less comfort and getting your full firing grip more easily before the draw.
    Is the kydex portion on the Theis riveted down or screwed down with fasteners? That's what I don't like about the Makenzie. It's screwed down with rubber tubing for spacers between the kydex and leather and the fasteners on the opposite side are what's rusting. The Theis comes in horsehide also so if it's riveted like the Crossbreed I honestly can't see anything different so it may be a consideration. I'm buying something when I get paid next week. I don't mind spending a decent amount if I get what I want but saving a few bucks if I can get something as good wouldn't be a bad thing.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Get the original holster of that type. Tucker Gun Leather "The Answer". The back doesn't have rusty pieces touching you is has a felt like cover sewn over the back of the leather, the inside of the kydex is leather lined etc etc. It will cost more to buy, but you get what you pay for.

I've tried both and both are good, but I sent the N82 back (good service and quick refund). I just like the Crossbreed better - a little more comforatable and seems to conceal a little better - but I think that depends on a person's body type.

While I love my Crossbreed holster, but I love my White Hat holster more. The White Hat is the same price and wait time but is more versatile. I recommend you check with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman76 View Post
    Is the kydex portion on the Theis riveted down or screwed down with fasteners? That's what I don't like about the Makenzie. It's screwed down with rubber tubing for spacers between the kydex and leather and the fasteners on the opposite side are what's rusting. The Theis comes in horsehide also so if it's riveted like the Crossbreed I honestly can't see anything different so it may be a consideration. I'm buying something when I get paid next week. I don't mind spending a decent amount if I get what I want but saving a few bucks if I can get something as good wouldn't be a bad thing.
    It's not screwed down at all. If you check the pictures in the review, you can see that it's not screwed down. (I don't know if it's rivets used, so I'm not going to assume that.)

REVIEW: Theis IWB Holster for M&P Shield

You will not be disappointed.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

N82 is a great holster have one for my xdm 3.8 and shield. I also recommend the garrett industries silent thunder fusion or solo which are also great holsters. They use a lether lined kydex so you dont get that noise from the kydex and easy on the finish if you are worried about it

Links