Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably - Page 2

Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably

This is a discussion on Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I take a nap with mine on my hip. No problems with my holsters. They disappear and I don't even notice that they're there. YMMV....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably

I take a nap with mine on my hip. No problems with my holsters. They disappear and I don't even notice that they're there.

YMMV.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I carry a glock 19 in the MTAC between 4 and 5 for roughly 16 hrs/day. I'm always sitting and standing. It feel a bit uncomfortable with the first sitting, but usually finds a a good spot during that time as well.

I carry either a Glock 17 or26 in an mtac holster. It took quite a while to get used to it. Much longer than a couple of weeks. More like a couple of months for everything to break in. Adjust the can't and ride height. Sooner or later the magic spot will appear. Also a good belt helps, a lot!

If the grip keeps forcing you to change your seated position you may have to try a gun with a shorter grip. Or a softer chair! BTW, I also can sleep quite comfortably while wearing my gun and holster combo!

Don't give up!
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys,

Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at 3:30 or 4:00 it prevents me from sitting normally/comfortably/with good posture in my car (which I have a 30 minute commute each way) and sitting at my desk (probably spend half my day, so about 4-5 hours). The holster pushes the right side of my back forward off the chair and makes it hard to sit up straight with good back support from the chair.

Anyone have ideas on how I could correct this? I'd be curious to know!

Thanks!
    One question - are your pants too tight? Carrying IWB ads about 1-2 inches to your waist.

Sometimes the cant can cause the butt of the gun to press against the chair or seat. I found that I had to purchase a few holsters to find what I liked and I carry at 3:30. Wish I could give you a tried and true for all, but that's not the case. We're all shaped a bit different and you'll have to try a few.

VIP Member
    Maybe it is the type of holster. I tried a Crossbreed hybrid, and was never able to make it work comfortably. Here is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn: The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    I believe Gary Brommeland is making Max-Con V holsters for the Shield. The downside to the Max-Con is the wait time and possibly the price. These guys make an kydex IWB holster which I have found to be comfortably and resonably priced, and is immediately ready to ship: X-Concealment Holster; Holsters, Belt holsters, Light holster, Mag pouch, Magazine pouch, Kydex Holster, Concealment Holster, Glock holsters, Pmag pouch, and Tactical Gear, which is also offering the following:

We're pleased to offer you a 25% Off Store Coupon Code: "SUMMER". In addition, any order of $50 or more will receive a free hat (Offer available while supply last. Coupon code is good until 7/18/12)
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Now for my obligatory question:

What kind of belt are you using?

Yep, first place to look at is the belt.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sometimes you have to tweak your carry position a little bit. I can sleep through the night with my holster and it doesn't bother me at all you just have to fine the nice groove in your back that your pistol fits in.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I tried AIWB a year or so ago after carrying ~ 4:30 for close to 15 years. I've found, after acclimation that it works better for me with more varied combinations of dress/gun type. I have to stick with a gun with a < 4" Bbl, but even my thick Sig P229 disappears under a T-shirt.

With the small deminsions of your Smith it would really carry quite well AIWB for your long commute and would be much more easily reached if needed from a seated position in an emergency.
    +1 for AIWB

I carry most all my EDC guns here, it's comfortable for me even on long road trips. Dressed up or down, even with a T-Shirt is disappears.

Summary of other thoughts:

1) Did you upsize the pants?
    2) do you have a solid stiff belt?
    3) did you break in the leather?
    4) do you wear a shirt under the holster, as well as over it?
    5) did you try other positions on the belt or cant positions?
    6) have you worn the holster without the gun to get accustomed to its presence?
    7) if yes to all, find an alternative
    NRA, Lifetime Member

An all leather holster will be more comfortable than a half and half any day.

I carry my M&P 40 compact all day in one of my Double Snap Reinforced opening in the same position your talking about.
    Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holster - Double Snap
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have tried everything and appendix carry works best for me (and my PM9) by far. I tried cross-draw and strong-side at the same time and even that is very comfortable. Cross-draw hides a little better because the butt/magazine protrusion looks like it might be your belt buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys,

Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at 3:30 or 4:00 it prevents me from sitting normally/comfortably/with good posture in my car (which I have a 30 minute commute each way) and sitting at my desk (probably spend half my day, so about 4-5 hours). The holster pushes the right side of my back forward off the chair and makes it hard to sit up straight with good back support from the chair.

Anyone have ideas on how I could correct this? I'd be curious to know!

Thanks!
    If your a thinner guy like myself, the extra 1/2 inch on the length of the handle when compared to something like a Glock 26 or M&P9c may by the issue. The grip on my G26 is short enough that it doesn't extend past my side (it just runs the length of it) so it doesn't push the holster forward when I sit. Just to test the theory try moving the gun to the 3 oclock position, get in your car and see if it's more comfortable.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Check out the TactiPac Fusion holster video on YouTube as I just sent away for one for my XD40 pistol. this holster for apx $80.00 looks like a winner for CC

Is a shoulder holster an option? You definitely need to find the sweet spot, sooner or later you will end up with a box-o-holsters.

I carry a 1911 at 3:30 in a High Noon Holster IWB. It took a little getting used to, some adjusting and I did buy two horse hide belts that made a huge difference in comfort and security. I really don't notice it on the hip anymore. I found that a little forward cant is much more comfortable while sitting. I have a small spare tire so comfort depends on each person and their idea of comfort. Talk to some friends and try theirs out before buying a box of holsters you don't like. I have several and so do people I know so we normally talk and test drive each others before buying anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links