Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably

This is a discussion on Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Having trouble carrying concealed comfortably

Hey guys,

Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at 3:30 or 4:00 it prevents me from sitting normally/comfortably/with good posture in my car (which I have a 30 minute commute each way) and sitting at my desk (probably spend half my day, so about 4-5 hours). The holster pushes the right side of my back forward off the chair and makes it hard to sit up straight with good back support from the chair.

Anyone have ideas on how I could correct this? I'd be curious to know!

Thanks!

Your first carry position may not always be the best,experiment,might take a different holster,I carry almost IWB always even on duty,i'm plainclothes,owb feels weird to me,unless it is Gear-Up time.I carry a G23 in a Kenny Campbell"Bama Special",or a C.B.Supertuck.

Hey GlockRocker-

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it! What position do you find to be most comfortable for IWB?

Mine is at about 3:30,My vehicle seats actually have a depression worn in where my gun sits.

+1 for glockrocker's supertuck. I if I sit down I can tell it's there but is not uncomfortable. It could also be due to the cant. If yours is adjustable, you may want to play with that to see what's best for the position that you wear it on your belt. Sometimes a little tilt will make a BIG difference.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Remember that everybody's body shape is different so you need to move the holster around to find what's most comfortable and most concealed. I carry at 2:30; I'm the only person I ever heard of who carries there but it positions the grip flattest against my body and also has no effect on me seated, whether in a chair or a car seat. I know this is "uncool" because everybody wants to look like an FBI agent, but I've always chosen personal preference over cool.
    RichB70 likes this.

I prefer the 4pm IWB with a cloth Uncle Mike's for deep conceal, but you have to tighten the belt down somewhat and
    have noticed do get occasional bruise spot from it, but comfortable. Heard another guy run into this problem and he said a crossdraw forward cant holster works great, especially if sitting, moving or general carry, although you have to be creative
    in keeping it hidden with loose, opened shirt, blazer or whatever. Don Hume Leather has some good IWB holsters for reasonable prices (google them) that have the extended flap of leather at top to keep it from 'biting' into your skin as well.

its not his holster, its not a sales pitch for the supertuck, just start adjusting and also adjusting how you sit. takes a few times and you'll find your spot.

I tried AIWB a year or so ago after carrying ~ 4:30 for close to 15 years. I've found, after acclimation that it works better for me with more varied combinations of dress/gun type. I have to stick with a gun with a < 4" Bbl, but even my thick Sig P229 disappears under a T-shirt.

With the small deminsions of your Smith it would really carry quite well AIWB for your long commute and would be much more easily reached if needed from a seated position in an emergency.

Now for my obligatory question:

What kind of belt are you using?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys, Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at 3:30 or 4:00 it prevents me from sitting normally/comfortably/with good posture in my car (which I have a 30 minute commute each way) and sitting at my desk (probably spend half my day, so about 4-5 hours). The holster pushes the right side of my back forward off the chair and makes it hard to sit up straight with good back support from the chair.
    How about getting a workmate to take a pic? I would suspect carry angle is the culprit (more vertical than ideal). In that position the grip needs to be canted forward to +20/25 degrees for comfort and concealment; see my recent posts on "cant". Keep in mind that +20/25 degrees angle is measured "statically"; that is, with the holster laid flat on a table with a belt through it; trying to measure it on the person introduces too many variables for this purpose.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

VIP Member
    Uncomfortable or not, I just wish I had a Shield.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Now for my obligatory question:

What kind of belt are you using?
    That's an excellent and often overlooked point. Without a sturdy gun belt designed to carry the weight of your pistol it's hard to find comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys,

Been using my MTAC for M&P Shield 9 for about 2 weeks now, and it's getting uncomfortable. Basically, if I wear it at 3:30 or 4:00 it prevents me from sitting normally/comfortably/with good posture in my car (which I have a 30 minute commute each way) and sitting at my desk (probably spend half my day, so about 4-5 hours). The holster pushes the right side of my back forward off the chair and makes it hard to sit up straight with good back support from the chair.

Anyone have ideas on how I could correct this? I'd be curious to know!

Thanks!
    Did you oversize your trousers now that you're wearing an IWB? Do you have a gun belt? Have you tried other positions?

I use a Shielded Holsters Phalanx. I oversized my trousers by one size. I use a thick stiff belt. I tried various positions from 2:30 through 5:00. I've even adjusted the cant. It's all about experimentation to see what feels comfortable. Otherwise, you have to experiment with other holsters, and believe me, I have almost a dozen.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I know alot of peole say they don't know people carry AIWB, sometimes I can't see how you guys carry strong side hip all day.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links