The search for the right holster - advice, please?

This is a discussion on The search for the right holster - advice, please? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Morning all. Well, I am now on the second "not going to work" holster for the spanky new Sig P238 I bought myself. Talked to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The search for the right holster - advice, please?

The search for the right holster - advice, please?

Morning all. Well, I am now on the second "not going to work" holster for the spanky new Sig P238 I bought myself. Talked to S&W and it may be months before I see my Shield, so I wanted something to carry meanwhile. I really enjoy this gun, it is accurate and fun to shoot.

Here is my problem. When I carried the LCP, it was tiny enough to fit in the front pocket holster. Not so much the Sig. I have tried a pocket holster, which was ok at best. It stuck out of the pocket quite a bit. Dang clothing manufacturers think ladies don't need deep pockets, apparently. I have to pick my jeans out of the drawer based on pocket size. <sigh> So, I got a holster for belt carry. OH MY does it print! It has a metal clip but it is....floppy, for lack of a better word. It is made by Federal. Link to image here.

OK, going back to the DeSantis pocket holster for now, and shopping again. I have considered the FlashBang, but to be honest, not sure that is for me. Not terribly comfortable to have the barrel against my breast and tucked under the bra for stability. I spend way too much time hauling and bending. I have loads of "outdoor chores" and am throwing hay, feeding horses, cleaning, etc. I can't worry about my gun not being secure. My usual attire is jeans and a tshirt. Concerned enough about this to be carrying the Sig uncocked with the safety on, which my hubby disapproves of. Perhaps if I had a holster that worked better, I wouldn't feel the need for the extra measures.

I am just under 5'2" if that helps with recommendations. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks all!!!!!!
    Common sense is NOT common. There is a difference between intelligence and wisdom...

2. Remove Ads

I have had trouble finding a good holster for the Sig P238 with laser.

Look here: KnifeKits.com : Designer Knife Kits - Knife Making Supplies - Knife Making Tools Sheath/Holster Kits

There is enough material here for three holsters in case the first couple don't work well.
    ColoradoLady likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

To add a little more to the above. It really doesn't take much heat to mold kydex and when it is finished, it does not take a 'break in' period like a leather holster. When soft, the kydex is hot enough that you will want to use gloves but a good hair dryer has plenty of heat. Be careful that you do not mold your gun into the kydex because it takes a bit to retreve it. DAMHIKT.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

CrossBreed Supertuck. I run with mine.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Pjholsters.com
    Alabamaholsters.com
    Both make awesome custom kydex holsters for belt or pocket carry. I carry in a PJ IWB everyday and can't speak highly enough. Paul at PJ Holsters makes holsters exactly how you want them. He does with/without lasers and can adjust cant and ride height to your liking as well. Just email him about any questions you have. Knowing Paul he'll email you back in 3 minutes so don't stray too far afterwards.

God Bless
    ColoradoLady likes this.

Indy, thanks for the great idea! Think I will wait on the kit until I am sure what I really want. Also, thanks for your service! My Dad was 33 years in the AF - fighter pilot. Flew in WWII, Vietnam, IP in Korea as well.
    Common sense is NOT common. There is a difference between intelligence and wisdom...

Those look like a good possibility, Paaiyan, will speak with them about it, since they don't seem to list the P238 on their sizing. Another great possibility! Thank you.

My wife likes to carry her S&W 638 in a Remora holster.

Also, if you haven't watched the Youtube "Faliaphotography" videos, they're really good.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Check HolsterPro Holsterpro Gun Leather - Custom Hand Crafted in the U.S.A.

Paul is great to work with.

Here are two videos about HolsterPro and the P238 that my help
    Sig Sauer P238 IWB Holster Pro New Style - YouTube
    Sig P238 Holster Pro IWB Holster First Looksee - YouTube

Mike
    ColoradoLady likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

sgb
    A quality gun belt and a good quality pancake style holster worn under an oversize T shirt at 4:30/5 O'clock should do the trick.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I've tried a few but my favorite is a leather IWB from Talon,it forms right around the gun.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I read from someone bying one of these on this forum 3 days ago... and I ordered 2. Their turn around is 1 to 2 weeks, and the price about $39 or $3 more for Horsehide. ..amazing prices. You'l put it together since it comes in a kit, but it seems really easy. I can't wait to get them.

Gun Holster Stage 3 Forward Cant | Old Faithful Holsters

Pure Kustom!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I really like OWB hybrid beltslides or Leather beltslides. I much prefer OWB. You just have to dress around it a bit. Look for something with belt loops in front of and behind the handgun. And get a good gun belt to keep it all snug. The only type of holster that clips and will not flop around is a good paddle holster. I like those too. What you have is just a generic nylon holster, there is zero support in one of those.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Why not have a tailor extend the pocket a few inches?
    --Jason--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links